sorry a touchy subject but what do you think of euthanasia?

I work in a nursing home where i deal with people dying every day. Its horrible to watch someone suffer due to a disease or illness. I truly believe that in a controlled environment with a dr they should be allowed to go before the stage of laboured breathing and pain. If it is blatently obvious they are going to die they should be helped IMHO.

That said i dont know if i could be the one to do it and think that it could seriously distyrb the petson who had to do it.

Obviously this is only my opinion and i dont mean to offend anybody xx

bexy pretty much said it perfectly, totally agree

:thumbup:

there are personal reasons for me being all for it
but i won't go into them​

Im on the fence to this one!! i watched the program on bbc 2 and i was for it but tbh it was quite disturbing to watch! I believe it has to be 100% your own choice no one eles even if their your next of kin!
I thought aswell that you have to be able to take what ever it is YOURSELF if enyone in enyway helps you its classed as ilegal!??
That was the point of the program that people are having to do this earlyier then they should because if he lost his abbility to use his hands to take the stuff he wouldnt be able to go through it!
Death is my worst fear but if i knew that i was going to end up like a 6 week old baby and then die im not sure i would want my family burdend with that!

Its not something i know enough about to make a choice and i hope im never in the position to do so!

^ you're right, it cannot be anybody else's decision but your own. That's why I get annoyed when people say it should be kept illegal in this country to have euthanasia clinics because "people would take advantage and just kill people off." It's a load of balls because that could never happen if the procedures matched that of overseas clinics. I think it's sad that poor, suffering people have to resort to flying far from their homes to die.

I don't know.

Where would it stop? If we legalised euthanasia for terminal illness, would it spread to long term depression? Mental illness? Loneliness? I think it would become progressively more common for people to go to these clinics and die peacefully (rather than the uncomfortable deaths faced by most who commit suicide).

i see it rather bluntly. Its cruel to allow a animal to die slowly and painfully without dignity so t me people should be given the same respect.

I think this is something that soley depends on the situation itself.

I have had to put down my family dog of 10 years which was very very difficult but it was the best thing for her. She had been going downhill for a week with us doing everything that we could for her. But finally on her last night at about 10pm we just knew it was time. She was barely able to breath and was not mentally there. So we took her to the emergency and had her euthanized. I held her in my lap the whole car ride over and through the whole process when I was just 13 years old. It was the best thing to do for her at that time because we knew that there was no saving her at this point and all she was doing was suffering. And we didn't want her to be anymore.

As far as humans go I think it is solely the decision of the person in the situation and NOT the family of that person. And ONLY in certain cases as in if they are a complete vegetable and there is no hope of them coming back and just being kept alive by tubes. Then I think it would be ok to pull the plug. But I don't think for reasons of cancer or other illnesses.

My grandad has severe Demetia, he's been in hospital for 6 weeks. He can no longer walk or get out of bed, he cant feed himself or give himself a drink, he also wears a nappy as he cant get out of bed to use the toilet & he needs 24 hr care (which he isnt gettting but thats a different story)
Everytime I go to see him it breaks my heart & I'm not sad for myself but for him. He constantly tells us he wants to die saying things like 'just give me the gun so I can shoot myself' 'why cant they just drop a pill in my drink & let me go now' :cry: its hearbreaking to hear my once fit & healthy grandad talk about suicide/euthinasia but I can totally understand him x
Would anyone want to 'live' a life like the above?? I know I wouldnt but instead he is bed ridden & suffering because technically, physically there is nothing wrong with him so he'll be like this for how much longer?? till he dies of old age? he's already 84 x
Some people may not understand this but every night I pray to god that he lets my grandad go, he's ready & doesnt want to suffer any more x
I dont believe it should be the family's right to have the say but I do think it should be down to the person who is suffering x
To drs though because my grandad has dementia he isnt of sound mind so they still wouldnt be able to do it even if he said he wanted to go :-(

I'm on the fence with this one x As much as I would love for my grandad to have the choice I think it can go wrong too with people taking things to the extreme & using it for their own gain (inheritence or whatever)

Reedy that story is soo sad :hugs: I never thought about people with dementia or altzheimers (sp?) I think thats a bit of a grey area maybe if they could have a system where they are assessed by several medical professionals to see if it really would be in their best interests then it would be impartial (hopefully) and stop family members trying to profit off of older relatives. Also I know i'd hate to live like that if you can even really call it living :shrug:

Personally I think that it should be legalised as someone else above asid in the case of cancer if you know that there is no way that they will recover and they are only going to die slowly and painfully then why not give them the option???

Also I dont see why someone with mental illness or depression should be euthenised

I can see where it might be a slippery slope, but I am for it. I agree with what Special_Kala said - we afford animals dignity and yet none for humans. We are forced to suffer until our bodies cannot physically take anymore and frankly it's inhumane.

The idea that someone can only die by refusing food and starving to death, or in cases where life support is pulled, sometimes suffoctaing, is revolting. Even criminals who are PUT TO DEATH, get treated with more humanity and pain relief.

I and my husband have already made it quite clear of our wishes should we be unable to vocalize our own wishes and I would willingly sign a POA for him to make my decision for me should I be unable to.
The idea that we couldnt trust our family to know waht we would want, is disturbing. I could answer that question for either of my parents if I had to, and know without shadow of doubt that I was doing what they wanted.

people with dementia die of dementia, there doesn't need to be any other 'physical' problems. The brain literally forgets to swallow and breath etc

i agree with euthenasia in only ONE circumstance.The very last stages of cancer as you described your grandad going through.at that stage the body is riddled with cancer and there is NO chance of a recovery..
in the case of comas and brain damage ect i am absoloutly against NOT doing every thing you can to save the person..there has been far far too many people been told there is no chance at all and the patient has made a full recovery. of course this is a touchy subject because the offer is made to turn off life support and family members must decide but personally i would give them a time and a chance to get better and if it went on too long then make the decision.
For other non terminal illnesses i also dont think euthenasia is appropriate.as many ppl have said its far too thin a line to walk and it is very worrying what may happen against ppls wills.

why only cancer patients? there are other just as painful and awful terminal illnesses you know :shrug:

i agree with euthenasia in only ONE circumstance.The very last stages of cancer as you described your grandad going through.at that stage the body is riddled with cancer and there is NO chance of a recovery..
in the case of comas and brain damage ect i am absoloutly against NOT doing every thing you can to save the person..there has been far far too many people been told there is no chance at all and the patient has made a full recovery. of course this is a touchy subject because the offer is made to turn off life support and family members must decide but personally i would give them a time and a chance to get better and if it went on too long then make the decision.
For other non terminal illnesses i also dont think euthenasia is appropriate.as many ppl have said its far too thin a line to walk and it is very worrying what may happen against ppls wills.

why only cancer patients? there are other just as painful and awful terminal illnesses you know :shrug:

^^WSS

Probably because its the one that gets the most publicity thats the disease that people think of first but then again there is AIDs ... and many more that i'm not aware of

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->