sorry a touchy subject but what do you think of euthanasia?

Theres no going back from a lot of diseases. cancer is one that CAN be cured (i know you mean when cancer is very advanced) but there are many, many diseases that have no cure at all. Things like Parkinsons, motor neurons, AIDs, MS, pulmonary fibrosis, even dementia etc. theyre not terminal when theyre first diagnosed but the patient does eventually die of their disease.

Alright fine I'll change my wording.I don't think euthanasia should be legal until a person is receiving comfort care instead of treatment at the end of their time.sometimes I just love how everything you say on this sight is picked apart!unsubscribing!

oh for god sake. nothing like making a mountain out of a molehill!

What about children? At what age do you deem it 'ok' for them to decide for themselves?

I really dislike ppl like you that need to go at one person non stop until they omit their entire view.I made one post trying to get across my point of view and I DON'T need to explain every single little thing and different tangent to you!

I wasn't even directing it at you since i thought you unsubscribed...

It was a question in general hence the new paragraph!

p.s. you do know you're in the debates section? The whole point of a debate is to discuss and question eachothers opinions.

No I actually didn't my bad for not looking but If I had have known I wouldn't have posted at all I don't like debating something I don't know much about that's why i was just giving an opinion.

Okay well now you know, lets leave it at that.

Like i said before i sit on the fence, its so difficult to say whats right and wrong.

But like Blah11 said there are so many diseases that are terminal, its not just cancer, but cancer patients often get much better care than people dying of say motor nuerons or dementia. Palative care for cancer pateints includes basically overdosing or morhpine near the end, its theaputic in the sense that it takes the pain away, but it will kill the patient, my grandad recently died of lung cancer and he received this treatment, at home, apparenelty once they decide to do it that pateint dies within 3 days, although he last a lot longer but everyone was surprised by that.

Dementia patients dont get this sort of palative care.

Children is difficult isnt it, i would say its the parents choice, but then my sisters keeper is one of many examples where children say they have had enough. although in those cases its less to do with euthansia and more to do with stopping treatment. I havent heard of any cases of euthansia clinic's with children, but i have heard of patients drowning or intentionally overdosing there children, i hope im never in the position to see my child suffer everyday and beg me to end it, i have no idea what i would do. I dont think its right really, but again if i was in that position and seeing my child suffer and know things would get worse i have no idea. I cant imagine how any mother could kill her child, but i cant imagine the pain of watching a child suffer either. I hope i never ever experience that.

This is a touchy one. I don't feel that it should be left to family members. I think it should be part of someone's will, that if they get to a certain point of their disease, etc, then they could choose euthenasia, that way it takes the guessing out of people who are diagnosed with dementia and alzheimers.

Working in a nursing home for many years, I have seen first hand what some of these residents go through. And some of them don't even have family come visit. COPD is one of the worse deaths to go through - IMO. Watching someone gasp for air, and have anxiety attacks because they can't breathe.... it is horrible. Sitting in the room with my resident who is gasping for air but knows they have to suffer with it for days on end until their body gives up is heartbreaking. Listening to them say they wish they would just die already, is even more heartbreaking. Situations like these I feel euthenasia would be helpful for them. But as I said, only by their choice.

I agree I think 50 years ago your local 'family DR' would 'take care' of helping people along like giving a overdose of morphine, but now politics have made death much more prolonged

nobody can understand another's suffering and nobody can understand the importance of control of life, I'm sure none of us would like to think that we would be in a situation where our own life was out of our hands, for me if someone is in the final stages being given medicine just to try and calm the symptoms as they die then the patient should have the choice, with children its on a individual basis and its for the doctors and parents to decide if they understand the choice they are making, everyone should have the right to dignity and that includes the right to die, its not right that only those that have money can have the option.

I think it depends on how old the child is if they would truely understand the decision that they ar making, but then I dont think that the parents alone should have the choice either its a tricky one ....

I am not 100% sure where I stand, but I think my natural inclination is to say I am against euthanasia.

I look at it from a spiritual point of view and feel that for every experience we have in life there is an underlying reason..something to be gained, something to be learned etc. and I feel like we did not give ourselves this life, so we should not be the ones to decide when to end it iykwim?

I don't know if any of you have heard of Kay and Edwarda Obara -

https://www.edwardaobara.com/Dr Wayne Dyer.htm

but the girl has been a coma all these years, and I get why some people would want her to die peacefully, but from her experience in that coma, alot of the world has been exposed to the unconditional love her mother has had for her all those years caring for her, without expecting anything back.

Anyway, thats my view, while I do think its nice to have control over our lives, I think the reality is we have very little control, very little. x

people with dementia die of dementia, there doesn't need to be any other 'physical' problems. The brain literally forgets to swallow and breath etc

Oh god I didnt know this :cry: my poor grandad :cry:
He's refusing to eat atm & when you do feed him he forgets to bite down so you have to tell him :-(
We've been told he only has 6 months to live :cry:

I think that it should be allowed but only in very rare circumstances. There are some clear cut ones such as the person will die quite soon anyway and there is no chance of recovery and the person is in a great deal of pain and they are able to express that they don't want to live anymore and they understand in fully.
However a lot of cases there is still some tiny amount of hope that they will live/ recover. Or they are not able to say that they want to die so family would have to say it for them. Or mentally they are not in a position anymore that you are sure they understand the implications of their decision.
I think leaving it between a patient and their doctor would be a disaster, there would be to much room for doctors to either be blamed for letting a patient die when they shouldn't have, patients bribing doctors etc. It would be a minefield.
Also, people that want to live might feel a pressure not to be a burden on their family.

people with dementia die of dementia, there doesn't need to be any other 'physical' problems. The brain literally forgets to swallow and breath etc

He's refusing to eat atm & when you do feed him he forgets to bite down so you have to tell him :-(

:hugs::hugs: I'm really sorry to hear about your grandad

Sorry I didn't mean to upset you :( I don't think its fair that the family isn't told everything about the diagnosis.

I don't know if any of you watched terry pratchett's recent documentary on euthanasia? That was a really educational watch for me. I a ctually used to be quite in favour of the idea, having watched my grandad suffer for several years with a degenerative disease, but the documentary actually changed my mind (not quite what it inteded, i think!). This is because, as has been stated earlier in the thread, the patient they followed was suffering from a disease where he would eventually lose the ability to communicate his wishes, so he committed suicide whilst he was still in comparitively good health so as not to burden his wife. That just seemed so wrong to me and gave me a bit more insight into the full scope of the complicated ethics involved.

Its ok Blah I know you didnt mean it intentionally :flower: The drs probably have told my mum & aunt but mum probably hasnt told me for for of upsetting me x
I honestly didnt know they could die from dementia :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->