Sorry another expressing question!

Boony

Mummy to 3
Reaction score
I've been waiting for some milk storage bags to arrive and they have just turned up now.

When is the best time to express, I'm guessing to wait until after a feed? my daughter is due a feed soon and then she'll start feeding up about 8pm ready for the night she'll feed on and off between 8pm and 10pm before going to sleep for the night until around 5-7pm when she'll wake for another.
I'm guessing it wouldn't be a good idea to express tonight since she's going to be feeding a lot? Then i could try in the morning after she's full?

Also how long is ok to keep milk in the fridge and freezer for? I'm planning on putting stickers on the bags with dates on so i know how long they have been in there for.

Lastly how much should i be expressing for a feed? My daughter is 2 months old. I know my son was on 8oz bottles when he was 2 months old but that seems a lot of milk to express for one feed lol

Breastmilk changes in composition as opposed to needing to increase in quantity so just divide 25oz by number of feeds your LO typically has and there you have amount needed per feed, if you're worried put another oz in for good measure but most BF babies never take more than 4-5oz of EBM at any one feed regardless of age or weight xx

Ah thats interesting summer rain, thanks.

The lactation consultant at my class last night said to remember the number 6. Breastmilk is good at room temp for 6 hours, in the fridge for 6 days and in the freezer for 6 months. I always was told 3's so thats good to know! As for when to express, after feedings when your just about empty will signal your body to start producing more. If you'll be expressing often this is probably a good way to start. There are some great websites out there to help too or maybe contact your local hospital to speak with their lactation consultant :)

ok thats great thanks.

Say i had some milk in the fridge and i was going out so took some with me and it had been out for 3 hours and i hadn't used it would it then be ok to go back in the fridge? or would i have to throw it away or use it?

I always find I get more after the morning feed so thats prob a good time to start. Don't expect to get loads at first, but pump after each feed and your body will alter the supply

well i pumped this morning and managed to get 2oz!

i find it hard to find time to pump because im always afraid there wont b any milk left but i was told that its 5 hrs 5 days and 5 months. also i have read to treat your pumped milk like meat, meaning it can go from freezer to fridge or from fridge to counter but never thaw then freeze again

I express once after her mid-morning feed about 10am. Started 3 days ago and been getting 6oz (2oz off boob she's fed on and 4oz off other).

Her first bottle we gave her she took 4oz at 4 weeks old - think I've got a greedy one!

I've been expressing after her dinner time feed and getting 2-3oz. haven't tried a bottle yet though I've just frozen it for now will try at weekend i think.

Mine loved it and really gulped it down - luckily a friend who's LO is a bit older warned me to burp often with a bottle if they really gulp it!

Just noticed your DD is Alyssa, mine is Alyssia :)

Do your bags have a space to write with a marker? the date and # of ounces is the most important info to put on the bag.
Oh, and in case you didn't know, lay the bag flat to freeze.. then once its solid, you can stack it upright in a box (oldest milk always in front). It will thaw faster this way too :)

Yea i have the lasinoh bags and they have a space at the top to write! Very handy better than using stickers.

Ah thanks i have been freezing standing up but i'll lay them down from now on thanks!

People call our Alyssa Alyssia lol its a lovely name however its said lol.

Yea my other 2 were bottle fed and had lots of problems bringing up wind! Breastfeeding is so much easier once its established!

People always call our Alyssia like Aleesha! I love Alyssa too.

Yes definitely much easier - even just doing the occasional bottle seems a bit of a pain with all the sterilising and stuff and glad I don't have to go downstairs to sort a feed in the middle of the night.

Good tip with lying them down - must do this from now on! Thanks! x

oh, and also always thaw your milk inside another ziploc bag! I've heard too many complaints about all bags leaking occasionally. That way if it does leak, you can still use the milk.

My personal theory is that if you bang the frozen bags around too much, it nicks the plastic (which I've witnessed when I drop them from the top shelf but I'm sure it happens in smaller little nicks on less rough knocking around).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->