SOS help please

Beatha

Mum to a boy & a girl
Reaction score
My daughter is 3 months old and she's been EBF since day one. I work for someone else but as a free lancer and here in greece that means no benefits no rights and that while I'm not working no income. My boss called me and said that my previous post has been covered but he has an opening at another location with more hours and more pay. But and that's a big but, it'll take me 2 hours to get there and two hours to get back . that means I'll be away for 10-12 hours 5 days a week. During that time I can inly pump once for 5 minutes. Right now it feels impossible to keep breastdeeding butI'm willing to do anything to make it work.I don't want to stop. Do you think it can be done or this is it? :( Can i avoid formula? He wants me to start next mondau. Please help

I think ideally you would want to pump every 3 hours or so, as your baby will likely be feeding around that often. Also 5 minutes is not a very long time to pump. You might find it hard to get things flowing with such time restraints.

Your baby will probably need 4 feeds left behind for a 12 hour period, and that's not taking into consideration growth spurts, or other times of increased demand.

Sorry to be a downer, but in my experience restricting pumping sessions to short, spaced-out breaks will only lead to decreased milk supply. Maybe combi-feeding would work in this situation?

You could pump on the way there and the way back. And won't they let you have a lunch break at least? Idk, I'd pass on this job and wait for the next one personally

I think ideally you would want to pump every 3 hours or so, as your baby will likely be feeding around that often. Also 5 minutes is not a very long time to pump. You might find it hard to get things flowing with such time restraints.

Your baby will probably need 4 feeds left behind for a 12 hour period, and that's not taking into consideration growth spurts, or other times of increased demand.

Sorry to be a downer, but in my experience restricting pumping sessions to short, spaced-out breaks will only lead to decreased milk supply. Maybe combi-feeding would work in this situation?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.I have a small milk bank but I don't think it will last more than a week. My worst fear is that my supply will decrease so much that I wont have enough milk to feed her when I'm home and I'll eventually dry up. I feel like I'm failing her. I'm thinking about pumping during the night after she eats, do you think it will help?

My worst fear is that my supply will decrease so much that I wont have enough milk to feed her when I'm home and I'll eventually dry up. I feel like I'm failing her. I'm thinking about pumping during the night after she eats, do you think it will help?

It might help, but after a 12hr work day do you really think you'll have the energy to stay awake pumping? You could end up exhausting yourself trying to be, and do, it all.

Are you driving or do you take public transport? In your situation I would pump on the way there and back (if you can!), and as much as possible during the day. Can you take lunch or breaks? It seems crazy that you can't take a little time to pump? I would definitely pump as much when you are home with LO. But unless you can pump as much as LO feeds now, your supply will definitely decrease and chances are you'll have to combi-feed at some point. Unless you want to pump frequently at night to make up for the daytime feeds? That could be a little exhausting though!

You could pump on the way there and the way back. And won't they let you have a lunch break at least? Idk, I'd pass on this job and wait for the next one personally

I take the train so unfortunately I can't pump on my way to work. My work day starts at 14:00 so we don't get a lunch break. Only a 15 minute break at 18:00.I really really wish I could say no to the job but I'll be making more than my husband and I'm afraid that in this economy another opportunity wont come soon. My husband is very supportive but I don't know if I can ask him sth this big. We're allready struggling financially. I really wish I could stay at home with her a few more months.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.I have a small milk bank but I don't think it will last more than a week. My worst fear is that my supply will decrease so much that I wont have enough milk to feed her when I'm home and I'll eventually dry up. I feel like I'm failing her. I'm thinking about pumping during the night after she eats, do you think it will help?

I think it will help short-term to store more milk. You can certainly try that if you have the energy. But having such long periods away from baby and long periods between pumping will be really tough to maintain supply.

You're not failing her!! I think you should do what you can if you want to continue bf, but I think it will take some stress off you if you have a backup plan :)

I went back to work at 3 months with ds1 and I tried pumping at work (only 8 hour shifts) and it just didn't work for me. I was so stubborn about not formula feeding that it was a detriment to my son and he lost a little bit of weight due to dwindling supply before I switched. Do not be as stubborn as me! Formula was the best option at that time given my circumstances.

I hope you can find a solution that you can be comfortable with :)

I take the train so unfortunately I can't pump on my way to work. My work day starts at 14:00 so we don't get a lunch break. Only a 15 minute break at 18:00.I really really wish I could say no to the job but I'll be making more than my husband and I'm afraid that in this economy another opportunity wont come soon. My husband is very supportive but I don't know if I can ask him sth this big. We're allready struggling financially. I really wish I could stay at home with her a few more months.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

How badly do they want you? Are you in a position to bargain for better employment terms? Obviously in the UK meal/rest breaks are statutory and nursing mothers have to be given time to express milk by law. I know you don't have the same laws there but could you ask for something similar? If you don't ask you don't get!

You have to do what's best for your family overall. Unfortunately sometimes thay means adding formula or maybe only formula.

That said I agree your supply will drop and I think you should ask for more time to pump. You could also get a manual pump and use it on the train. If you aren't comfortable doing that in front of others you could use a blanket to cover yourself or even use the restroom for privacy. If your trip is 2 hrs each way you could pump as soon as you get on the train and then again 15 minutes before you arrive. That would give you 4 pumps total just during transit. :shrug:

Good luck with your decision.

One thing to remember also is that If you aren't pumping as often as baby eats you are likely to feel very uncomfortable and engorged!

Thank you all so so much for your support and suggestions! I talked with my husband and he agrees that for our family it's best if I work part time like I used to. Money is tight but we get by and I can spend more time with the kids. So I went to talk to my boss and explained the situation. He was very understanding and we agreed that he'll hire someone else to share the hours with me.He just said that he needs a month to make it happen but he also made some changes with the clients and managed to get me a 30 minute break every day except for Monday beacsuse it's too busy. So I have to get through this one mont.

My main concern is that I wont be able to pump enough milk for her. When I went to talk to my boss I was away for 5 hour and she ate once 80 ml. I don't know why but I pump less than I used to pump with my son. It takes me 2 times to get those 80 mls.Maybe my stress is making it harder or maybe I need to rent a hospital pump and pump more during nights.I keep telling myself it's just a month and then things will be better.

I just miss both of my kids already...

One thing to remember also is that If you aren't pumping as often as baby eats you are likely to feel very uncomfortable and engorged!

I'm really scared I'm going to start leaking! My breasts are probably going to ajust but those first days are going to be hard.

You have to do what's best for your family overall. Unfortunately sometimes thay means adding formula or maybe only formula.

That said I agree your supply will drop and I think you should ask for more time to pump. You could also get a manual pump and use it on the train. If you aren't comfortable doing that in front of others you could use a blanket to cover yourself or even use the restroom for privacy. If your trip is 2 hrs each way you could pump as soon as you get on the train and then again 15 minutes before you arrive. That would give you 4 pumps total just during transit. :shrug:

Good luck with your decision.

I haven't thought of the manual pump idea but I like it a lot! That can work, thank you!

I'm really scared I'm going to start leaking! My breasts are probably going to ajust but those first days are going to be hard.

I am AWFUL at pumping, I felt like I never got enough and I just hated. The only time I came close to leaking, I was about 45 mins late for my lunch break (I used to go home and nurse my son) and I was so engorged it was not comfy! I agree with you though, it's something you adjust to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->