SPD and support belts??

Tink2312

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure there are loads of threads on this and I did have a look through but couldn't find anything recent....

Had midwife app yesterday and she has advised me to try a support belt in the first instance and if things get worse she will then refer me through to the physio. I understand from what I have read physio's can't do much anyway but if it gets as bad as some case's I've read about they can help with crutches etc...

I think I'm fairly 'fortunate' with it at the moment, I've had tenderness and discomfort since about 24 weeks and I thought to start with I'd strained something in my groin and just had tenderness around the pubic area, however as the pain got worse especially following moving house and there have been occassions where some sort of movement I've made has made it feel like my lower half is actually ripping in 2 and subsequently had me walking or hobbling in a very amusing way I've realised its something a bit more! The crippling pain isn't constant and from what I've read I can see that it can be, but the aching and discomfort is (constant). I'm currently 28+5, when I originally saw the doctor about this she was increidbly unhelpful, midwife more helpful but has anyone else suffered from this and can give any advice? They've said as its early on I may be fortunate and it not get worse but likewise it could very much go the other way!

And can anyone recomend types of support belt? I found some through babies r us and also mothercare, they look to be the same type of belt although have a £7 price difference! lol. They are just a support band, I've seen others where they look and are described more like a corset support belt but not really sure what the difference is!

Any advice or help appreciated :)

Tink x

I've been having pains on the right side of my pelvis, when I saw the consultant on Monday she said she didn't think it was SPD as such because it's not painful in the centre of my pelvic bone but that a support belt might help. I got one from Mothercare on the way home from the appt and it has really helped-I'm much less sore after a day at work than I used to be. It's just a general belt rather than the corset type.

Definately sounds like SPD. Mine was excrusiating at 30 weeks, most painful after a long walk, hurts when getting upa nd down, in and out of and turning in bed. My midwife referred me to a physio on the NHS who saw me and gave me a massive tubi grip that covers me from above bump down to over hips. It worked wonders and the SPD calmed down for a couple weeks but now it has come back with a vengance so I can go back and get a support belt. Try to get to see someone on the NHS first rather than buy a belt because they will give you one for free x x

Was given a Serola SI belt by my physio, and it's made a huge difference!! I think I was quite lucky to get one on the NHS though. It's fairly comfy as well, so I don't mind having to wear it all day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Physio-Supplies-Ltd-Serola-Support/dp/B0014DFBDS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You wear it just below your hip bones, and it really feels like it's stopping my pelvis slipping and grinding so much :)

thank you everyone!
mummymanda the NHS service in your area sounds much better than mine! When I saw the doctor about it last week she told me that it was 'a pregnancy thing' to speak to the midwife and to take paracetamol and monitor it but she couldnt do much and the midwife would be able to advise me better as they see more of it than her! Lol. This is after I told her that the sheer pain sometimes makes me want to cry its that bad and I'm used to suffering with bad backs and injuries etc!
I'll speak to the midwife again but thank you that was very helpful! Did you find it got worse just as you generally got bigger?

Tink x

Even if you see the NHS physio here you still have to pay for your own belt! Mothercare do have a SPD support belt - you might have to ask for it cos its not usually with the regular bump supports. I got one and it cost about £30, have pain very similar to what you described and it does help a bit.

I have SPD, am currently 34 weeks pregnant, and I am on crutches, and have been for the last 5 weeks.

prior to that I had an appointment with the physio, but as this is the second time I have had SPD they didnt really tell me anything new. The support belt doesnt help me at all, and the crutches make only a very little difference. I am at the stage where all I can think about is getting baby out, to stop the pain. But they wont do it till 39 weeks :(

The turning in bed thing - instead of turning yourself round, sit up in bed and move your pillows to the bottom then lie down again, much easier. Also try slippery sheets or pyjamas - satin works well.

When you are going to move in such a way that you know its gonna hurt, tense up your pelvic floor muscles then move. this helped me when I was first diagnosed at 16 weeks, but will only really help in minor cases.

and a big squashy cushion helped, between your knees and under your bump.

Hopefully you wont get much worse, but the more weight in your uterus, the worse the pain gets...although some people its not a drastic amount!

:)

I have it 'mildly' too. I was told at my group physio that i wasnt to use a belt as when you take the belt off if can make your problem worse as its like false support. She just gave me a leaflet and told me to try and strengthen the area with exercises. Can I ask what birth plans you ladies have? I have head that SPD can make birth easier because your bones are softer. Also if you have SPD severe you should not get an epidural as it can worsen back pain after pregnancy, i still want one! Anyone know what they will be doing? x

I have it 'mildly' too. I was told at my group physio that i wasnt to use a belt as when you take the belt off if can make your problem worse as its like false support. She just gave me a leaflet and told me to try and strengthen the area with exercises. Can I ask what birth plans you ladies have? I have head that SPD can make birth easier because your bones are softer. Also if you have SPD severe you should not get an epidural as it can worsen back pain after pregnancy, i still want one! Anyone know what they will be doing? x

I'm having a section, but not cause of SPD. I had a spinal block with second baby and moderate SPD and my backs fine :) so its not always a problem with epidurals

I think it sucks that some areas still make you pay for a belt. I was told I could have one but to give the tubi grip a go first. I have had a bump spurt lately and bump also appears to have dropped somewhat so I am thinking that is why it is getting worse x x

for me support belt hasnt helped at all mines been bad since 8 weeks pregnant
I think it depends on how bad it is though

thanks muchly ladies for all your help and advice! I went to mothercare today and found the corset style support belt but apparently might be a little fat for it! lol. I'm 'only' a size 16-18 and the belts supposed to go up to an 18 and I had about 2cm's growing room in it, so I've reasoned at £35 for a few weeks wear isn't very cost effective! I've found some online to order from Hug-a-bump which looks pretty good if anyone has any thoughts on these one's I'd appreciate it, going to order it tomorrow.

Thanks again ladies :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->