SPD Sufferers! Buddy Group

thanks for all of the advice!

had my apointment I def have it, and was given cruches and exercises however thats it no follow up appointment, she said theres not alot to do for it!

Went back to work monday and shopping yesterday and now its as bad as ever didnt sleep last night at all! Im going to try and get through March in work so I can complete handover with my assistant then I have a feeling it will be sick leave:cry:

:hugs: to u all!!!

I also had this confirmed on tuesday!! now having a pelvic support band ordered in (which is costing me £23!!!) but it will be worth it!!! Its jus really awkward remembering to get in and out of the car and bed with legs together and i always forget to do my exercises that pysio gave me!!! Hopefully support band wont be too long!! xx

do the bands work thephysio give me a leaflet but she said most ppl find them unconfortable

do the bands work thephysio give me a leaflet but she said most ppl find them unconfortable

I found it really uncomfortable but the type I was given was a huge tubigrip thing which just kept rolling up when I put trousers or underwear on and got tighter! It pressed a bit into my bladder and I also didn't feel great about it pressing into my bump. Felt like quite good support as long as I didn't need to wear clothes or move!

As well as having to cope with the physical pain this is really getting me down too - I feel like I've been robbed of the rest of my pregnancy that, up to now I was really enjoying. I too am on the sick but hate doing nothing and the thought of 15 more weeks on my bum is really quite depressing!
I have however bought a gym ball from Tesco's today as I find at pilates it really helps and keeps my pelvis in a totally neutral position - I'll let youknow how I get on with it!

:hug: to us all!

Oh and I'm starting to consider a water birth as I find sooo much relief in the bath at the moment. I don't actually want to deliver in the water so I suppose I would just need a bath! Has anyone any experience of this with SPD?

Hey girls,

Well I am truely in your camp now :(

I had a load of pain in my hips - especially left hip, and terrible cocyx pain. I did have lower back ache and leg pain too.

Then I changed my job. I started an office job 2 weeks ago and since then its been loads better - till this weekend. OMG the pain I had in my pelvis at the front (where the bones meet) actually reduced me to tears Friday night. I was unable to eat, walk or talk much. I was so down.

SInce Friday, The pain has been terrible in my hip, back and left leg. It even goes into my bum (not pleasant!) I brought myself a supprt strap thing from mothercare - are they simliar to what you get off the physio? Mrs Holmes - it does feel nice and snug and like I do have support - but I ony have a tiny little bump and the mo and its really low down, so the strap digs in and gives me bump ache and bad wind lol..

Im sorry this is turing into such a long post, but it seems nobody cares/understands how frusrtating this is and how much it hurts. Im in the middle of moving house, and trying to pack/move boxes and clothes and toys etc is virtually impossible. OH is a bit understanding, but he doesnt realise how bad it is.

I went to see my consultant the othr day, but Id waited 5 hours in hopsoital for my appointment and couldnt be bothered to talk about it (at the time it didnt hurt like this) I wish I'd have said now. Im kind of in limbo. It desnt always feel this way, but the 'attacks' are getting more frequent. Who is the best person to go to?

Is anyone else in the same boat? Is my job (sitting down all day) helping or hindering in the long run?? I just need a shoulder to cry on more than anything !!!!

Thanks for reading
xxxx

Oh poor you Shelly, sound like you're having a hard time with it and you've got such a lot on with new job and moving house - it really is awful isn't it? This is my first pregnancy and I had no idea that this condition existed and no idea that I could end up on crutches being pregnant!
Have you had any referrals to physio and/or is your midwife supporting you on an emotional level? I'd say you need to chat it through with her, make an appointment soon if you're not due to see her for a while.

I'm off sick at the moment but now my coccyx is hurting because I'm sitting too much and I hate being inactive! I also take painkillers (Co-cocodamol prescribed by my GP) before bed to relieve the night time pain, as I find the lack of sleep just compounds the whole problem.

Take care :hugs:

suze they cannot force you to go off on maternity early!

suze they cannot force you to go off on maternity early!

My boss said to me on the phone that if I'm still sick at week 29 then I'll have to start mat leave then but have looked into it and the 28 day rule applies ie. if off sick with pregnancy related sick within 28 days of my due date it triggers mat leave. So I'm going to speak to her tomorrow and hit her with that info if she says it again!
Are you gonna stick out March as long as poss? I feel quite depressed about having to leave work early, not that I'm any kind of workaholic I just love talking about babies and my pregnancy with my colleagues :rofl:

the band i was given was the tubi grip thing and it is quite reilieving for the first little while-until it starts to roll down!! so i ended up buying a pack of ultra support knicks from mothercare........ann summers lingerie they are not:rofl: but they do the trick-they are a lot more supportive than the tubi grip thing!! I tried the band they do but i didnt find it as comfy as the nicks are!! i wear them all the time and you really do notice the difference without them on!!

If you struggle to do your food shopping-especially if you are on crutches, have you thought about going while your partner ( or a friend/mum etc) can come with you to help-and use one of the stores electric cart things? They are brilliant-and that is the only wasy i am able to go as i cannot walk round the shop, if you are on crutches and walk up to the customer services they usually say "do you want the cart key" before you have even had time to ask for it-and they let you leave your sticks behind the counter. My hubby will drop me at the door and go and park while i hobble to the desk to get the key,and after he takes the shopping to the car while i take the cart back and hobble to the door!! If i wasnt able to use the cart i wouldnt even be able to shop to feed my family!!

i have my 28 week growth scan and ante natal clinic tomorrow,and i am going to discuss the possibility of them inducing me at 37 weeks- i was induced at 39 with the last 3 because of it,but i didnt have it this bad with them!!

I nearly spent another weekend house-bound until my Mum said that Tescos had free wheelchairs so i decided to join OH on the food shopping trip just to get out of the house!! I must admit that I felt really embarrassed being pushed around and OH was getting stressed with me telling him which way to push me but by the end we were both laughing!!

I do feel better for not struggling to walk which I normally do at the weekends but I am having so much trouble sleeping because my hips hurt so much when I lay on them, hopefully I will get my physio appointment this week!!

Hey girls,

I finallysaw my GP today who diagnosed SPD - the stupid thing is - I knew more about the condition than he did...?!

Its self referal for a physio, and it doesnt take long to get seen, so hopefully I'll get an appointment by the end of the week. Today was the first day at work which has been painful - the GP said I should give it up - easy for him to say - will he pay my bills??!!!

Suze I know how you feel with the coccyz pain. Its so bad some times during the day. I actually got some mild relief from my tmmy strap thing today - although my LO's movements were less easy to feel as it felt a little restricted.

Ah well - here's for a pain free day tomorrow for all of us! (fingers tightly crossed!)

Thanks for lettng me whinge!

Sx

suze, im the same Ireally want to try and stick it out at work, i dont fancy being alone all day!im taking 2 days leave a week from now until i go off on mat leave 18th May. if i SHOULD go sick till then my mat will still kick in the same date.

what did ur boss say? or HR after you told them about the 28 day rule?

shelly dont u get sick pay?

mumtastic! I have thought about doing that! may have to next time!

Aw bless ya Mamatastic! That's the way to do it though, I keep walking without my crutches because it's easier/takes less time but then it kills later on.
I've had yet another sleepless night and have been feeling angry all day and wondering if I changed to consultant led if I could be induced at 37 weeks - the thought of another 15 weeks of this is unbearable! I've been uttering 'never again' despite the fact we'd like more than 1 child and then feeling really guilty for not enjoying this pregnancy currently!

For anyone who has had a physio appointment: what do they actually do there, I've had a couple of appointments where they give you exercises to do but I'm hoping the next one they might actually lay their hands on me!

Cath, I had to tell my boss about the 28 day rule telling her I'd checked it out with HR - she got mixed up between 28 days and weeks :dohh: Happy belated wedding anniversary by the way!

HIya,

MrsHolmes, I am temping at the minute so I cant get sick pay :(

SPD has been horrific for the last few days. I have my first physio on Friday - Suze - I'd like to know what they do too???!!!

xxx

when i had my physio it was in a group setting with about 8 other pregnant women,all suffering to varying degrees at different stages of pregnancy. We were given advice on how to sit,lie,walk,move etc etc-which were all things i had been doing since 12/13 weeks anyway. Then after the session she kept 3 of us back,and gave us all the tubi grip support and then kept me back after that and gave me crutches.

I mentioned to the registrar on monday at clinic about the possiblity of inducing me early maybe at 37 weeks and she said that we will discuss it when i see her next at 34 weeks, as it was a bit too early on monday to discuss it which was fair enough.

:hug: to everyone xx

Yeah pink-witch this is the type of contact I have had with the phsyio so far too and have my first 1:1 appointment on Monday. Good luck with the induction talks at your next appointment, at least it wasn't dismissed. Were you induced previously due to SPD and at what point?
Poor you Shelley, hopefully your appointment on Friday will help, I'm curious...and looking for some kind of hope that there is help somewhere!

a sorry to pink-witch that it didnt help,

it helped me so i thought i would share! it was the advice that my midwife gave me!

HIya,

MrsHolmes, I am temping at the minute so I cant get sick pay :(

SPD has been horrific for the last few days. I have my first physio on Friday - Suze - I'd like to know what they do too???!!!

xxx

shelleylu - My physio asked me to do different things so she could see to what degree I was suffering i.e stand on one leg, bend forward as far as I could and then back, lay on the bed and raise one leg at a time etc etc....she the gave me a belt but once she saw how I walked, she told me to use crutches as I could barely move. I hope you are feeling better hun. With your job too, you need to make sure you get up for a wonder about every 20 mins -30 mins to stop your coccyx hurting and your pelvis freezing, this should help a little. x

mrsholmes -
I never had any follow up appointments either with my physio as there is apparently not much more they can do than give you the exercises, but I was given a contact number for after the birth if I was still suffering. I also never got on with the belt as I found it just shifted the weight and gave me backache, mine was like a huge thick elastic thing with velcro to do it up, it was very secure, nothing like a tubi-grip. I hope you are feeling better hun. x

Suze - I was due to be induced at 37wks with Alfie, but I went naturally as they found out when they came around at 5am to give me a gel :happydance: But my Consultant was a star! There has been lots of girls on here that was refused induction :( I also have invested in the gym ball from Tesco, I sit on it everyday and I find it such a relief especially for my coccyx - how are you getting on with yours?

Mamatastic - Good luck with the physio appointment!

Pink_Witch - How did the scan go? And at least she has not ruled out early induction x

:hugs::hugs: To you all and anyone I left out :( :hugs::hugs:

Well I don't want to talk too soon, but at the moment I can't really complain about my SPD. I had a bad couple of days earlier this week, but on the whole it is staying in the background. I am religiously doing everything as I should as I don't want to be like I was last time. It was awful and I was so down. So fingers crossed!

Take care girls! :hug:x

Hi Tam!

I'm getting on really well with the ball, it helps with the pain in my coccyx, which I think is from sitting on my bum! I can use my laptop and eat my tea on the ball which is quite impressive don't you think :rofl:

Do you know what is helping me the most here, is the fact that some of you ladies have suffered SPD in previous pregnancies and yet have chosen to go through it again! I was upset at that thinking this will be my only child because I surely won't want to do it all again...just proves it will be all worth it and you must forget the pain once the baby is in your arms?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->