SPD

ProudArmyWife

2 Princesses & PG with #3
Reaction score
Anyone else suffer from spd? My symptoms have seemed to start earlier this time. It's hurting to walk already. Any tips on how to cope or lessen the pain?

Yes, I barely had any pain last time but started getting aches from 8 weeks this time. It got really bad around 19 weeks and the midwife referred me to the physio. They've given me excercises to do three times a day which I think is helping. So try and get a physio referral if you can. I also find sitting on my yoga ball helps and generally trying not to over do it (hard with a toddler though!)

I do, mine is also worse this time than my last pregnancy. I find that trying to avoid doing too much in one day helps (if I walk the dog, do the housework and go out for the rest of the day I suffer that evening) and also sleeping with a V pillow between my legs/propping me up on to my side. Once it's bad the only thing that helps is going to bed for the night with my pillow, and generally by the morning it feels much better. We recently replaced our mattress with a much better orthopaedic one, which has helped loads - I always used to get back pain at night but it's helped to minimise that and my hip pain.

Thanks for the responses ladies! My midwife showed me some stretches last time I saw her but they were more for my siatica than the spd. I try to not over do things but I work full time (I'm a nurse) and have two kids so yea that's easier said than done :haha: think I will def talk to midwife about getting a referral though cause I was absolutely miserable yesterday. It seems to have eased up some this morning though so fingers crossed for today. :flower:

I'm really and truly hoping I can avoid it this time. I had it terribly with my 3rd. I've been trying to walk daily and exercise from the beginning to avoid it. I'm hoping it isn't in vain! I ended up doing some weird yoga poses to allievate the pain last time!

I suffer badly, already at the point where I have to sit down to put trousers on and struggle to turn over in bed. I seem to suffer worse with my boys I wasn't half as bad with my little lady. I've been referred so hopefully that will help x

I've recently been to a physio for spd. They gave me exercises & lots of tips. The main ones were:
- keep your knees together at all times. This includes turning over in bed & getting in & out, getting in & out of car (plastic bag on car seat helps you twist) & standing up from floor.
- take smaller strides than usual
- don't stand on one leg ie sit down to put trousers etc on
- try to avoid sitting on floor. If you have to, keep knees together when getting up (kneel, bring base of toes to floor, push up with hands)
- sit as much as possible
- avoid lifting, pushing heavy trolley/pushchair or vacuuming (yay!)
- doggy style for sex
-support belt for times when you have to walk lots (but not when sitting)

Generally, do everything you can to avoid irritating injury further.

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->