speech, behaviours and more

Arcanegirl

Bazinga!!
Reaction score
Lucas is 3 years and 3 months and we are noticing some things with him more recently and im feeling a bit lost with what to do and how to deal with him.

It started with contacting the health visitor over his speech. I felt his speech wasnt where it should be, the nursery says he doesnt say a word and hes been there since the end of August.
He seems to have no emotion when i try to discipline, so I have no idea if hes taking things in or not which im also concerned about.

The HV came to visit and asked some questions, he is definatley being referred for speech therapy and it looks like to see if he is on the spectrum aswell.

The wait could be weeks to months though she is trying to speed things up (issues with past HVs not following up stuff) but in the meantime I feel like I see more issues and clueless how to deal with them.

How do I discipline a child who doesnt understand? How can I encourage his speech?

hi hun just want to give you hugs :hugs:

unfortunately it can take a long time to get your first appointment. we waited three months for our first appointment with SALT. as for diagnosis etc the initial wait is 15 months now as they have a new system in place so it just depends on when they do a refferal to CDAT. once your at the top of the list though theres a tonne of evidence to gain if its not already been collaberated.

with my son we used to put him on the naughty step. use simple small sentences with him (were still doing this now). as for encouraging speach just tell him everything.. if he wants something and just points or grunts let him show you but then tell him the name of it.. thats the starting blocks we used and then it just goes very slowly from there. we had no speech until 4 years old and then we had three word sentences and then at 5 he had a speech explosion and now chatters away. xx

Ive been using a time out spot but he just doesnt seem to have any reaction to it so Ive no idea if anything is sinking into him or not.
I did call a number and spoke to SALT when I was looking at self referral (ended up not needing it since the HV did it) and they said its 4-8 weeks wait at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->