Speech delay, almost 5 years old

adrie

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering how your kids' speech was/is at nearly 5 years old. Our daughter will be 5 at the end of October and during her last year of preschool, she was assessed as having a moderate articulation delay. :cry: She cannot pronounce r, l, sh, th, j, (or g when it sounds like a j--as in giant, etc.) She can produce the l and th when prompted to do so, or when she emphasizes the 'l' when asked her name. Sometimes she gives up saying her name if a person doesn't understand her the first or second time. I don't blame her.

She is starting kindergarten this year which I think will be great for her; she wants consistent kid interaction and I'm not overly concerned about the academic side of things.

I've read a graph that shows when kids acquire certain sounds, and apparently the starting age is when only 50% of kids acquire the sound; by the end of the bracket it's indicated that 90% of kids will have acquired it.

I know her speech should be pretty much 100% understood by people who don't know her, but even I don't understand everything (usually the odd word or two in a sentence here or there; I would say I understand about 90% of what she says overall). This often leads to her pressing on us too much or having a difficult time making a friend when we're out--at times. Today she spent 5-6 hours over the course of the day at a play place and made 2-3 friends at different times. I feel like she leans on us a lot because we understand her the best.

Anyways, I know this was long, but thanks for reading. Any parents with kids with a speech delay, when did your kid become mostly fluent and easy to understand? Also, if you received speech services, how long did it take to see improvement and/or resolve the delay? We are going to pay for additional services above and beyond anything she receives at school.

Thanks!

My son was very incoherent even just after he turned 5 but a couple of months after he did a 7 week block of speech therapy and strangers could understand him for the first time! There were many sounds in each age bracket that he couldn't do but after mastering 'f' 90% of the other quickly followed. It was the first time he was speaking clearly.

Sounds the same as my DD1 . She’s just been discharged from Speech therapy after 2 years . They said hers was immature speech sounds but sounds exactly like your DD.

We struggled at first to understand certain things she was saying . We used some makaton sign language which was amazing . We attended some speech groups at our local children’s centre and also weekly speech sessions. It was slow to start off with but now she’s got excellent communication and Speech .

Does she have good hearing ? This was one of the first things they asked me and was referred to a audiologist to make sure.

My daughter had speech delay (verbal dyspraxia) she had a year of speech theropy and we did alot of the speech stuff at home with her (concentrating on sounds as was clarity of speech), after the year she was signed off and language was average for her age. We did struggle with phonics as she struggled with the sound (they think she is dyslexic) but she has got there with it with lots of hard work. I always understood her, other people it was more at 5 they could begin to understand her consistantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->