Speech Delay Question?

andypandy2

Reaction score
Hello.

I truly hope that nobody minds if ask a couple of questions?

Basically my 2.5 year old (30 month old) son says perhaps 5 clear words and perhaps 15 'sounds' for things that only his dad and I understand (ie 'eee' for please and 'oo' for choo choo train) but to be honest, unless prompted my son says nothing!

Anyhow, knowing my son's receptive language is very good, can anybody tell me if such delays in speech are a concern and it may be indicative of an underlying issue or if I should stop stressing!

(Just to add, I have 2 girls who were speaking in sentences by my sons age... but everybody tells me boys are much later and not to worry. I did take my son to the Speech and Language drop in and we are waiting on a Speech and Language Assessment.):wacko:

Hi :flower:

It does seem very common at this age. I am on a few speech and language groups on facebook and there is so many kids this age with a speech delay.

If his receptive langauge is good I would not stress as much you are doing what you can by having him assessed by speech and language.

My daughter has a big receptive langauge issue and its really worrying when the unnderstanding is not there. If he can follow simple instruction etc id be less concerned.

not to take away from your concerns or anything At this age they do expect them to have more words and short sentences so right to be concerned. I am sure your speech assesment will bring you more knowledge and things to work on :)

When assessing any issues they look at their understanding as well as actual speech.
As your sons understanding is good I wouldn't start stressing yet although it's obviously good that you are getting him assessed.

I think understanding is a lot more important than speech at that age, if his understanding is good then I wouldn't be worrying too much he is still young.

Thanks for your replies ladies.

A Nursery Nurse visited the house last week as id been speaking to the Health Visitor about how my son is pretty boisterous, always on the go, climber, runner if not in the pushchair etc (he point blank won't hold hands:dohh:) and she gave me some great tips and on that... but, as she was also here about 35 minutes and my little man pretty much said nothing...she also said she'd try speed up the Speech Assessment for me!:winkwink:

my daughter didnt stop trying to run off until she was 4! :dohh:

Another piece of advice the lady gave me though was to not put any pressure on my son, as admittedly I am often guilty of saying 'what does Joe say?' After I've given him something and perhaps 'can Joe say choo choo?' If we are playing trains.
As a result though I have heard VERY FEW words from my son in the last few days...so I'm now feeling worried???

Another piece of advice the lady gave me though was to not put any pressure on my son, as admittedly I am often guilty of saying 'what does Joe say?' After I've given him something and perhaps 'can Joe say choo choo?' If we are playing trains.
As a result though I have heard VERY FEW words from my son in the last few days...so I'm now feeling worried???

That doesn't sound like any type of abnormal amount of pressure. our therapist encouraged this type of language use at given opportunities such as while your playing/reading etc. It wouldn't be different if you were sitting him down with sheets etc and insisting he learn it.

I get where your coming from though I feel bad about correcting my daughter etc. however she is 5 now and still finding things hard. I try to pick my battles and don't often correct her unless its on something really simple like he/she

Perhaps Joe was just feeling a bit off it yesterday as by no means has he said much at all, but he did wake up and say 'coco' today which I have never heard him say before... but I think he meant Coco Pops... so an indication he wanted breakfast! And I am also sure that he said 'hi' when the girls were playing hide and seek...so telling them he was going to hide (without the 'de'.)

Small steps, but steps all the same.

May I ask alibaba24 (obviously if you don't mind) a little about your daughters speech and language difficulties ie how old she was when you sought advice? xx

Perhaps Joe was just feeling a bit off it yesterday as by no means has he said much at all, but he did wake up and say 'coco' today which I have never heard him say before... but I think he meant Coco Pops... so an indication he wanted breakfast! And I am also sure that he said 'hi' when the girls were playing hide and seek...so telling them he was going to hide (without the 'de'.)

Small steps, but steps all the same.

May I ask alibaba24 (obviously if you don't mind) a little about your daughters speech and language difficulties ie how old she was when you sought advice? xx

not at all. she was late in talking age 2 before we had any words at all even single words but due to her being premature etc I wasnt overly concerned. she started talking in sentences but I hadnt realised she was on really learning in phrases. was difficult to spot because at age 3 she was saying things like "whats that?"(perfectly good normal question)+ It wasn't until she started nursery when she turned 3 then picked up on her language being a bit delayed ( I was aware but because she seemed to follow basic command not overly worried) the nursery took the wait and see approach but after the end of that nursery term just before she turned 4 so just less than a year they referred her to speech therapy. speech done an assesment on her and basically her receptive language was very poor. not able to do 2 step instruction. her expressive language was not great either but spoken clearly when copying phrases . Its very complicated but basically when I thought she was understanding things it wasn't the case she had learnt what to expect due to routine etc. her problem is not something that is going to just be corrected after some input from speech and language. her issue is understanding our spoken language. Basically a language disorder. If it was a delay she would be learning language the same as any other child. just later. But she is learning in a completely different way and needs manually taught things that other kids just pick up. such as . who,what,when,where,why?... on,under,over,infront,behind. the list is endless! he/she/her/him is another minefield. I do worry about her future because of this however she has only had 1 year of input from speech and language and has came on massively in that time. she is like a different child and we can have real proper conversations now. :thumbup:

to elaborate further for an example of her would be. her copying a sentence perfectly in perfect order but she couldn't then take those same words and create a new sentence and apply it to a completely different situation. and if she did try words would be missing and be in the wrong order.

Thank you alibaba24, that is certainly helpful xx

I did think my son's receptive language was very good, however it was only when my husband and I looked at the 30 month old questionnaire that the Nursery Nurse left, we discussed whether my son does actually turn to look when you call his name...we agreed on 'sometimes' as the option...and we also tried the prompt (again one of the questions on the form) 'Joe put the book under the chair...and bless him...he put it in the bin!

Fingers crossed if there are any issues the speech and language assessment...whenever that may be...will flag them up! But ust as you do, we love our monkey a million % whatever xxx

we sure do love them!! and having these issues is not the end of the world. not to belittle our kids issues they are very very hard but with help they hopfully can make the most of there lives and do well in school.
I mean LOADS of kids dont turn to answer their name. both mine do this still one is 5 one is 16 months. I have videos of my daughter and I call her name. she ignores. I say do you want a sweetie she is over like a flash. the fact your boy even tried to do the instruction and go and put it somewhere is great. my daughter was not interested in trying to follow instruction this age

there is a lady on a group I am on with a specific language impairment . and she is a nursery nurse. still finds certain language tricky but living a happy and successful life

keep us posted
:thumbup:

I didn't talk until I was 3. I got diagnosed with dyslexia as a child and ASD as an adult (but clearly had it all my life) I don't think speech delays are the end of the world. Sure we want our kids to be perfect and have no difficulties in life. I have an 8 year old with classic autism. But we just play what cards we get dealt. With the right help your child shouldn't find many difficulties in life, I'm a qualified accountant and that's fine for me. My sister who is also dyslexic and her spelling is terrible now has no trouble in verbal communication and training to be a forensic scientist. She gets extra help in University which is great. So the only time your child might struggle (in the UK at least) is in college where they have cut additional needs funding. I really hope they fix this by the time my son goes to college.

Its great that your son is following instructions. My son can to a degree. He currently working on 3 word instructions with the help of school. Keep the instructions short and clear. So if you want him to get his shoes on, say his name and shoes on. It might be the case he's trying to working out all the words in between, but since you tried a longer sentence this might not be an issue.

Its good that he at least got the instruction to some extent even if it wasn't 100% right, have you had his hearing tested? Maybe he is just struggling to hear everything.

I took my son to the doctor last week to check for glue ear and all was fine.
I did ask the doctor if she thought my son needed a full hearing test and the doctor said if I was seriously concerned then we could do that...but actually, after telling me about how her third child (also a boy,) didn't speak until three, I felt almost silly for going to the doctor and told her I'd just see how things went along!
Funnily enough, it was in frustrated hindsight this afternoon that I actually rung the doctors and have asked for that doctor to refer my son.
I'm pretty sure my son's hearing is ok however I'd kick myself if I was wrong! Xx

I took my son to the doctor last week to check for glue ear and all was fine.
I did ask the doctor if she thought my son needed a full hearing test and the doctor said if I was seriously concerned then we could do that...but actually, after telling me about how her third child (also a boy,) didn't speak until three, I felt almost silly for going to the doctor and told her I'd just see how things went along!
Funnily enough, it was in frustrated hindsight this afternoon that I actually rung the doctors and have asked for that doctor to refer my son.
I'm pretty sure my son's hearing is ok however I'd kick myself if I was wrong! Xx

I always just check anyway for my own peace of mind :blush:

Yes, and peace of mind is important! I'd rather feel daft than get down a road to find things could've been sorted quickly. Will let you know the outcome of any hearing tests and the speech assessment (whenever we get to the top of that list!) Xx

I wouldn't have thought that those types of things are pressure. I would take them as normal intereaction between you and your son.
I would think tey are maybe getting at you sitting down with him with the sole purpose of 'teaching' him words or if he doesn't say what you want asking him again and again to repeat him.

And definitly get the hearing test done. Although be warned that he may not cooperate fully!! We had to take DD 3 or 4 times as she'd get fed up and after a while deliberately switch off!!

Oh no, is it that tricky! And my son is a run around or climb type of boy or boredom sets in!! :wacko:

On a positive note my son's speech assessment came through the post. It's on the 25th! It's a step forward :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->