Speech Delay Question?

Oh no, is it that tricky! And my son is a run around or climb type of boy or boredom sets in!! :wacko:

On a positive note my son's speech assessment came through the post. It's on the 25th! It's a step forward :thumbup:

Hopefully he'll be fine. The problem that we had was that she was too old for one of the tests but her understanding wasn't good enough for the other. They then have to get a certain number of readings for each frequency. Esther two do it twice but then totally not respond on the third time!!

Thank you for that heads up girls, at least I can now anticipate that the hearing test may not be easy sailing!!!
Not a great afternoon this aft. Little man when from cuddles on the sofa watching telly and giving constant kisses to throwing a piece of cutlery at my daughter at tea time (because he'd finished his sausages and she hadn't,) soaking the laptop with a cup of water (no idea why) and hitting me several times because I didn't give him a desert!
Toddler behavior? (Never had this with my girls, but then never had a boy before.)
Attention seeking because he cannot speak?
Sign of an underlying issue? (As as I said he is a runner and a climber too!)
No idea...probably just over analysing everything now xxx

Sounds like just typical toddler behaviour. Not just a bit thing either-my daughter was just as bad as my son with things like that!!

Hi andypandy your son sounds similar to where my son was when I sought SLT advice.

I think he was 20 months when I noticed he was behind his friends with speaking. He had learnt things like 'mama' and 'dada' and 'car' but most of his speech was sounds so like your son, we could interpret him but most couldn't. He said 'ahhh' for bye and 'hmm' for yes and used all the animal sounds under the sun. He adopted his own sign language which I had never taught him as well. I basically asked my HV for a speech referral when he was 22 months and it came through about 2 months later which is quite quick I think.
At his first assessment they thought he may have a speech disorder. His communication was always great, he smiled had eye contact, played and would follow two step commands perfectly. But there was an obvious lag with actual speech.
I ended up getting private SLT for him as the waiting list for therapy was 5 months and I wasn't sure how I could wait 5 months knowing he may possibly have a disorder but not getting him any help. The private SLT just described him as having an 'unusual' speech development pattern and identified that he had missed some crucial sounds that most babies pick up first like 'b' and 'p'. She spent a few sessions on those sounds and lo and behold he started being able to reproduce them.
After this he very very quickly picked up speaking in 'proper' words and 4 months after first being assessed he was speaking like all of his peers. It's almost like he just needed that initial barrier breaking down. His speech is normal for his age now and they have said he doesn't have a disorder after all.

I'm not saying that is what happens with all children obv, but I thought I would comment as the way your son makes sounds rather than words resonated with me! Just a glimmer of hope really as it was this time last year I was just considering ringing my HV and I was full of anxiety with it all, and fast forward a year and here we are. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the reply! That really helps!!
In the variety of sounds my son makes it is very clear to me (now that I have done some research) that he has very few of those many initial consonant sounds (like you said) that a baby/young toddler first learns...and just as in the case of your little one, I hope he can receive some therapy and progresses!!!
And even if this is not the case, the lovely Nursery Nurse came back today to see how we were getting on with the good advice she gave us (in regards my monkey's behaviour)...so even if my son does have other issues, I feel there is a good support network out there! Xxxx

Alibaba we have the he/she etc mine field too :hugs: it will get easier.

My little guy has a speech delay. We noticed it really early at one and a a half. He went from saying a few words to none at all. He would just grunt and point/lead. We have had SALT input since just before his second birthday. At 3 he started with two and three word sentences and now at 5and a half he can hold a conversation. He doesn't always understand and we have to do a lot of explaining but compared to a couple years ago he is doing amazing. He can't pronounce some letters and words but always tried his obese. He's about the level of a normal three year old now. He doesn't understand clear instructions so we have to do lots of short instructions for him for example if we want him to get something we have to direct him near the object. Then tell him what he needs to get as then sometimes spend as much as twenty minutes getting him to understand what he needs even though it can be right in front of him.

Seth has other problems on top of his speech but I think even if he didn't have those he would still have his speech problems. He doesn't understand the whole he/she concept and often calls then the oposite which less to some dirty looks from people whom don't know him. He also struggles with the on/under/beside/in front/behind

Your not putting too much pressure on. We were told to encourage him saying things. But if we were to say " what does Seth say" we would ten have to add the please on so that it helps him learn the Word. He used to say "peesshh" lol so cute. Xxx

Alibaba we have the he/she etc mine field too :hugs: it will get easier.

My little guy has a speech delay. We noticed it really early at one and a a half. He went from saying a few words to none at all. He would just grunt and point/lead. We have had SALT input since just before his second birthday. At 3 he started with two and three word sentences and now at 5and a half he can hold a conversation. He doesn't always understand and we have to do a lot of explaining but compared to a couple years ago he is doing amazing. He can't pronounce some letters and words but always tried his obese. He's about the level of a normal three year old now. He doesn't understand clear instructions so we have to do lots of short instructions for him for example if we want him to get something we have to direct him near the object. Then tell him what he needs to get as then sometimes spend as much as twenty minutes getting him to understand what he needs even though it can be right in front of him.

Seth has other problems on top of his speech but I think even if he didn't have those he would still have his speech problems. He doesn't understand the whole he/she concept and often calls then the oposite which less to some dirty looks from people whom don't know him. He also struggles with the on/under/beside/in front/behind

Your not putting too much pressure on. We were told to encourage him saying things. But if we were to say " what does Seth say" we would ten have to add the please on so that it helps him learn the Word. He used to say "peesshh" lol so cute. Xxx

how old is he now? 6 Months ago my daughters speech and language was put at ane of 3. she got very confused about on and under but now its as natural to her as breathing so it will happen im sure. he/she/her/him is a complete nightmare. first everyone was he. at the moment everyone is she :wacko: its hard but once they learn it they learn it. i think its like learning to teach them manually rather than naturally but hopefully they will learn it in the end

Girls my second daughter went through a phase at about 4 of calling people 'it'. So she'd point at say a little girl that had asked her to play and loudly tell me 'IT asked me to play!!' x
In regards concepts such as under, on top of, behind or even the he/she concept etc..I worked as a Teaching Assistant for children with ASD for many years and actually feel I have strategies and games in regards such targets...it's just where to start with my own toddler beyond all the things i do naturally (chatting, singing, reading), that I feel phased! Silly I know! Xx

It's not silky Hun. For some reason it's always harder with your own children. My sons nursery are helping him work on his he she thing and we're working on the others at home. Well when I'm at home lol. Currently in hospital with ds3 so that put a kibosh on Seths home learning for a week xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->