Spelling vs Meaning

Buffyx

Expecting #2
Reaction score
There is a name we love for a girl, but there are two different ways of spelling it (although same pronunciation) and two different meanings!

I prefer the spelling of one of them, but prefer the meaning of the other. What is most important to you? And what would you do?

Spelling for sure. Majority of people don't even know or care about the meaning of a name.

Spelling for sure. Majority of people don't even know or care about the meaning of a name.

Yeah, I know that's true - but I'll know! And the child will know.

If meaning is really important to you, I'd go towards that one. Or perhaps you can find another name that has a similar meaning and use it for the middle name?

In my opinion, the spelling is more important. To me - nice meanings are just a bonus! Besides - My son's name has a nice meaning with a different spelling variation too - but I still consider that the meaning of his name (even though his name is spelled slightly different).

To me, the spelling is more important. If I don't like the spelling, it would be hard to pronounce or it is made up spelling I won't use it. For me, the meaning doesn't matter at all. If it's the same name I don't see why the meaning would be different though. Make sure you check a lot of different sources for the meaning. I can look at 5 different websites and find 5 different meanings for the same name. Most of the meanings probably aren't accurate anyway!

Spelling definitely. For dd2 I preferred the meaning of Siena (after the city as my mum is Italian and I grew up in Italy) instead of Sienna (the colour) but I preferred the spelling with 2 Ns so that's what I gave her. I think day to day in your child's life the spelling in more important than the meaning.

To me, the spelling is more important. If I don't like the spelling, it would be hard to pronounce or it is made up spelling I won't use it. For me, the meaning doesn't matter at all. If it's the same name I don't see why the meaning would be different though. Make sure you check a lot of different sources for the meaning. I can look at 5 different websites and find 5 different meanings for the same name. Most of the meanings probably aren't accurate anyway!

I have checked numerous sources. It is only 1 letter that is different, so it's strange to me that the meaning is different too :blush: But it is!

I don't like telling people with the fear of unwanted opinions (like when I told my mum lol)

I don't like telling people with the fear of unwanted opinions (like when I told my mum lol)

Oh no! That's the worst! Hope the name grows on your mom! My mother and I have COMPLETELY different taste in names!

Oh no! That's the worst! Hope the name grows on your mom! My mother and I have COMPLETELY different taste in names!

So do my mum & I :( I normally wouldn't mind too much but we are having this name if we have a girl, so I don't want any negative opinions on it before it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->