Spicy foods?

Fizzyfefe

Mama and pregnant with #2
Reaction score
I grew up in New Mexico, so green chile and salsa were and still are staple foods in my diet. Hubby and I absolutely love spicy foods (Mexican, curry, etc.). I gave my son a taste of spicy buffalo chicken the other day and he loved it and wanted more.

When did you give your babies their first spicy food? What was it? Did they like it?

We certainly started to offer it around maybe 9 ish months. But my daughter really doesn't like it, not even really food with spices (as in cumin, coriander, mustard seeds, etc.) rather than spicy things (like chiles), which is a bit sad because we eat a lot of spicy food in our house and cook with a lot of spices. Though she can suck on a lemon like it's candy! I think offer it as long as it's part of what you eat anyway and make sure you have options (like a non-spicy version) if that's the only thing you're having for dinner, in case it's too spicy. But I think from 6 months is fine. It's good they get exposed to all sorts of things, especially if you eat them lots yourself.

I don't remember when we started, but she didn't mind spicy foods when real little, but somewhere in the toddler years, she changed her mind and stopped liking spicy food. She's OK with it again if it's not too spicy.

I hope my LO loves spicy food since we love it and it'll be a pain to have to cook 2 separate dishes every time!

If I'm cooking spicy food I'll add some spice then take out a portion for LO before adding a bit more spice for us!

I'll tend to serve sour cream or yoghurt alongside spicy dishes to help take out the heat if it's too much but LO loves it!

I don't remember when we started, but she didn't mind spicy foods when real little, but somewhere in the toddler years, she changed her mind and stopped liking spicy food. She's OK with it again if it's not too spicy.

Same here. I wonder if there taste buds develop more as they get older as when she was little she really didn't seem to even recognize the spice. Now she eats it, but is more cautious and keeps a cup of water near her. My only real concern with spicy foods is sometimes it can hurt pretty badly coming out if it is really spicy :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->