Spit Up vs Stomach Bug?

Starry Night

4 angels, 2 rainbows
Reaction score
The thread title pretty much sums it up: How can I tell the difference between regular spit-up and vomit. My DD is 3 months old and spits up A LOT every single day. I'm talking soaking through at least 3 or 4 shirts a day. (Her brother was like this too and doc cleared it). But now I have come down with the stomach bug and dH just got sick with it too. DD seems to be OK for now but I can't tell if she's spitting up or actually vomiting?

Also worried because we had to take our 3 year old DS to the ER this morning with croup (didn't know I was sick yet though I was already getting very dizzy). So I have all this sickness in the house and a little one to worry about.

I will call the public health nurse if she does should signs of illness but yeah, spit up? Or vomit?

Someone told me once that spit up more or less dribbles out and vomit projects somewhat. I hope that helps!

Thanks.

She does spit up a lot so it's a bit tough to tell but this evening she sort of sounded coughy while spitting up so now I don't know if she was barfing or coughing and spitting up at the same time. She's not coughing now and sleeping comfortably. No super messy diapers yet or sign of fever. Keeping an eye on her though.

I'm a bit more worried about croup because that's an instant ER visit and both DH and I are really needing to be hovering by the bathroom due to our own illnesses and it's a 1/2 hour drive. Never mind we're both crazy dizzy and probably can't be trusted behind the wheel.

Yikes. I hope all is well with LO so you can focus on you. Sometimes it's so tough to tell what's going on with them. Really makes you wish they could just tell you how they are feeling! Sounds pretty normal so far. Seems to me that if it were croup (or anything else) there would be signs of it while sleeping or no sleep at all. FX'd and Wishing you and DH a rapid recovery!!!

When my younger son was around 7 months old, we all caught a stomach bug. He was a pretty bad spit upper, would spit up after every meal and sometimes in between, enough to soak a burp cloth. When he got the tummy bug, it was projectile. And kind of sounded like he was throwing up, too, rather than just silent spit up. he was also very lethargic and tired that day, which was a good indicator that he gotten sick. I think you'll know if your lo gets it, it'll be more amount coming out than spit up (even a big spit upper like I had, it was still way more.) and may have a bit of throwing up sound to it. Your lo will likely act unwell, too.

^ wss. DS1 and I caught a norovirus when he was 11 months old and the vomit was everywhere and projectile! And he was visibly distressed when it happened.

Hate hate stomach bugs! Hope you all feel better soon! And fingers crossed LO doesn't get it.

If it's real vomiting, it will be obviously enough that you won't have to ask. We've had two rounds of projectile vomiting, literally was like turning on a hose and shot about 4 feet across the room and soaked the entire bed and through the mattress. You'll know. More than anything, you'll just know your baby feels poorly. If she's her usual self, she's fine. But poor you, hope you feel better. Do get some help from friends and family if you need it just so you can get yourself back to feeling okay.

Thanks, everyone.

DD did end up catching a bit of the bug. She had a very slight fever and was gagging a bit. I brought her in to the clinic which then sent us on to the children's hospital 2 hours away where they did some tests. Thankfully, all was OK and she's feeling better already.

DH and I are now catching DS' cold even though I still have the stomach bug. I'm just glad DD seems to be bouncing back quicker than I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->