Spouses with low sperm count.

I have a question for the ladies on this board. This week is my "fertile" week. I have heard that for men with low SC, it should be every other day or every few days. I saw one lady on one of the boards here where here DH had a count of 2.5 million, and on her fertile week they DTD only once, but did not DTD in a few weeks prior to that. So, basically did it in one shot (pardon the pun). Though I know it's dorky to be strategic about these things, but I've been thinking instead of our normal every other day, I should just wait until the peak LH surge RIGHT before I ovulate. Only once. I'm thinking he'll have more that accumulated. What's your thoughts on this DTD strategy?

I have a question for the ladies on this board. This week is my "fertile" week. I have heard that for men with low SC, it should be every other day or every few days. I saw one lady on one of the boards here where here DH had a count of 2.5 million, and on her fertile week they DTD only once, but did not DTD in a few weeks prior to that. So, basically did it in one shot (pardon the pun). Though I know it's dorky to be strategic about these things, but I've been thinking instead of our normal every other day, I should just wait until the peak LH surge RIGHT before I ovulate. Only once. I'm thinking he'll have more that accumulated. What's your thoughts on this DTD strategy?

I spoke to my FS about this and he says the longer they are left they can get slower so you may have more but they don’t go far. I have tried last few months to DTD every other day I was thinking on going for the 3 day approach this time, I used the advanced clear blue opk tests which give you 4 days of warning so the usual 2 days but the 2 days before and I was thinking I would do the first day I have warning and then again on day 4, which should be day prior to ovulation.

You may have a regular cycle so you could also plan something like this.

I spoke to my FS about this and he says the longer they are left they can get slower so you may have more but they don’t go far. I have tried last few months to DTD every other day I was thinking on going for the 3 day approach this time, I used the advanced clear blue opk tests which give you 4 days of warning so the usual 2 days but the 2 days before and I was thinking I would do the first day I have warning and then again on day 4, which should be day prior to ovulation.

I've heard that too, so maybe I should do four days out (which would be tonight. :happydance: ) and then Friday morning. I noticed that I must ovulate sometime during the day, as I become very fertile in the morning. Well, we shall see! Thanks!

My most recent strategy is to Bd 1-2 times 3-5 days before O (to clear the old stuff) and then let it accumulate for a few days and BD on my first PEAk and the high after. no luck yet.

I have TMI question, did you ever notice that your DH's sperm does not smell like sperm? last couple of cycles I notice my DH's sperm does not have its usual smell, I am worried something is not right. it might be the heat though but I even had to ask him if he came because I had a feeling that nothing went in

My most recent strategy is to Bd 1-2 times 3-5 days before O (to clear the old stuff) and then let it accumulate for a few days and BD on my first PEAk and the high after. no luck yet.

I have TMI question, did you ever notice that your DH's sperm does not smell like sperm? last couple of cycles I notice my DH's sperm does not have its usual smell, I am worried something is not right. it might be the heat though but I even had to ask him if he came because I had a feeling that nothing went in

I wonder if I should BD on the second peak day, right before the big ovulation? I'm starting to think I need to get really close to the actual O date.

Regarding TMI. It could be dehydration. It's very hot here in Texas, especially now, and I notice when he gets dehydrated the volume goes down substantially, but never noticed a different smell. To be honest, his sperm doesn't have much of a smell, come to think of it. Hmmm....I think I'm going to investigate this next time.

I've heard that too, so maybe I should do four days out (which would be tonight. :happydance: ) and then Friday morning. I noticed that I must ovulate sometime during the day, as I become very fertile in the morning. Well, we shall see! Thanks!

Go for it, I am going to give it a try this month, cant hurt can it

So I had my usual 3 month follow up appt with my Dr this past week and it felt so discouraging. Normally he is so positive but this time I left feeling pretty crap. Mainly I was just getting the paperwork for DH to go and have another SA but I did ask what would happen if nothing has changed....If no changes then he'll send DH to see a urologist and also refer me for a lap and dye to check my tubes....I guess just to rule things out but he's fairly certain nothing will show up. He did say though that he really believes that morphology can be improved and that even small changes can make a difference. What he was vague about was DH's sperm count because he never actually told me what it was at the first appt, just that it was good. This time however he hinted that it wasn't actually great but said that it's important that we stay positive as we have to remember it only takes 1.

I don't know..... sometimes it's hard to stay so positive! I've just finished ovulating for this month so will see what happens next month when I know for sure that its been over 90 days since hubby had antibiotics. After that he's going to go for his next SA so we will know one way or another if there has been any change. I'm so scared nothing will have changed because I really don't know what we will do next. Hope you are all well :hugs:

ladies, we have finally decided to move on to IVF :( after 3 years TTC although DH's numbers slightly improved my FSH is getting higher which means that we may not have much time left to play around. quite depressing really. i went for a scan and apparently I have 2 cysts on my ovaries (they did not look good) and need cancer blood work before we can proceed, even more depressing. since the NHS refused us funding because of high FSH, we decided to go with natural or modified cycle IVF. the success rates are lower but they are not so hard on women. We felt it right considering that low sperm count is our main issue. we may have to do ICSI but will decide on the day depending on the quality of the sample. apparently they will be judging by morphology, need at least 3 % to go with IVF as opposed to ICSI. we will probably skip the next cycle and proceed with natural IVF in a month. I need a bit of time to read up on meds to understand the risks etc.

WhiteOrchid, I am sorry you did not feel more positive after seeing your DR. I find my crying every time I go to see any FS, they are so very pessimistic about our chances. even with IVF they gave us 10-16%. It's actually good that your Dr will refer your DH to a urologis, maybe you will get some answers. query if you really need lap and dye, you can do HSG to check the tubes which is far less invasive. I personally regret doing lap as it crewed my cycle. fingers crossed your DH's next SA will come back all normal or even better than that you get your BFP this cycle. good luck!

Hi Briss,

The natural IVF is a good option for you, and quite honestly, we may end up going that route as well, even though my current FS doesn't offer it. I'm pretty much with you at this point, I'm not sure what to do. I really want to have a baby no later than 38. Of course, my health insurance doesn't cover IVF, so we will. I could wait until the start of the year and switch my health insurance and I think it would be covered that way, so we're sorta holding out right now. I'm just not sure what to do.

Please keep me posted! Keep positive! I know it's hard when you visit the doctors and they're constantly being negative. It's very demoralizing actually, and I wish doctors could be more hopeful and optimistic.

Good luck!!! Baby dust!

Hey how did you get on with timing etc? i had no choice this time but have a 6 days wait for first DTD as my husband was away in the US,

We have our follow FS meeting on Monday so we will see what happens, i suspect they will move us forward with IVF

Hey how did you get on with timing etc? i had no choice this time but have a 6 days wait for first DTD as my husband was away in the US,

We have our follow FS meeting on Monday so we will see what happens, i suspect they will move us forward with IVF

What we end up "doing" was 7 days prior to ovulation, 3 days and then one day. I did not turn up pregnant, because I got my period really early this month, which is weird. I got it on day 25, which would have been 9 DPO. I started to wonder if I had possibly implanted, and it got "rejected" and it was a very early chemical miscarriage, but not sure. It was a very different cycles because it started out with more brown discharge at first. Anyway...till next time. :nope:

We normally dtd every other day during fertile period usually from cd9. However I've been reading impatient woman's guide to getting pregnant (which I would definitely recommend) and the author states that some women have already ovulated by the first peak shown on fertility monitor and so best days to dtd are the high days before. Apparently the monitor will always show a second peak and high as a matter of course. I have previously tried to time it for every other day to include the first peak so maybe I'm missing the egg.

My plan this month is to dtd every day I get a high. I know this is risky cos of hubbys sperm count but I'm on cycle no 25, so we don't have anything to lose !

I use CBFM and also temp and judging by my temp I usually ovulate on my second PEAK and sometimes even on a high after. I used to start BD quite early once I get HIGHs and BD every other day but it did not work. so now we moved to BD only when I get PEAK so we had at least a few days before O to collect a bit more sperm and improve count.

What we end up "doing" was 7 days prior to ovulation, 3 days and then one day. I did not turn up pregnant, because I got my period really early this month, which is weird. I got it on day 25, which would have been 9 DPO. I started to wonder if I had possibly implanted, and it got "rejected" and it was a very early chemical miscarriage, but not sure. It was a very different cycles because it started out with more brown discharge at first. Anyway...till next time. :nope:

Poor you it sounds like a strange cycle, your bedding seems good. if it wasnt due to implementation then you would have ovulated on day 11 or so

keep looking up

Hi Ladies,

How are you all doing?

It's finally been 3 months (past 90 days) since DH had his infection treated so I am hoping and praying this might finally be our month. I'm ovulating now so having lots of fun and trying to stay super positive that it's going to happen. If it doesn't I know I'm going to really struggle when AF arrives. Hubby has the paperwork for his 2nd SA so I guess either way in the next few weeks we will find out if there has been any change. I'm so scared if the results haven't changed what we do next. In the meantime though I must stay positive!

I hope you are all ok. Anyone had any luck in the last month? Hugs to you all :hugs:

WhiteOrchid, great news! hopefully your DH's sperm is improving, good luck with your cycle and fingers crossed this is your month!

Ladies, how's everyone doing?

we repeated DH's SA today and after he resumed his beer drinking (since May) his count moved down from 11 to 7 million, motility from 58 to 50% but interestingly his morphology move up from 2 to 3%. we were told that they need at least 3 % morphology to do IVF rather than ICSI. I am so hoping we could do that. I am just trying to do it as close to natural as realistically possible.

I think hubby is getting there morally so I am hoping we could start modified IVF right away.

Hi all! Just joining up to this thread.

I posted in another thread recently about DH's results. Super low count - .10 million/ml, .39 million in sample, 25% motility, couldn't read morphology because the count was so low. We haven't had our RE appointment yet (October 7), but have both started a new diet (cutting out alcohol, eating healthier, etc.).

I'm looking forward to following your stories!

No luck for us unfortunately this month :( AF reared her ugly head at the weekend. Anyway we'll try again this month... :) We have a Dr's appt on Sept 25th so DH has to go for his SA before then so one way or another before the end of this month we'll know if there has been any changes. As soon as we get the results I'll let you know what's happening next but from talking to my Dr before hubby will be referred to a urologist and I will be sent for more tests...

Briss - isn't it amazing how alcohol can make such a difference?! That's one thing we haven't properly given up (don't drink a lot but do enjoy some wine at the weekend) so if no change in results we'll definitely give it up and I might suggest accupuncture to hubby as well as heard that can help. Weird though that his morphology went up but great news! Do you know when you can potentially start IVF?

Hi Melissa - welcome to this thread! Hopefully you can get some good advice from your appt in Oct. I'm definitely going to make sure I'm armed with lots of questions this time around as last time when we got the results I was in shock so didn't get full results (well I didn't get the specific count) which I'll definitely get this time.

Does anyone know what is the best amount of time to abstain before giving a SA? I was thinking 3 days maybe - I think we did 2 last time but definitely 3 at the most. Does anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->