Starting to tell people....

MrsC10

Mummy
Reaction score
We're off to DH's parents' for the weekend for their wedding anniversary and they'll be the first people to find out. I'm really nervous for some reason. I don't know why. We told our parents at around 8/9 weeks with our daughter and I'm about 12 weeks with this little one.

My parents won't find out until Monday and until after the scan (they found out first with DD).

Why am I so nervous??!!

I think it's totally normal. I feel really awkward telling people. I'm not sure why. I think maybe because the first person I ever told with my daughter was my mum and her reaction was sort of weird and not what I was expecting. She was more like freaked out and worried that it was planned (very much was). The first thing out of her mouth was, "Are you okay with this?!?" Uh...I was like 32, married, professional career, settled, but it made me feel like I was about 16 and she was worried I'd drop out of school now! She didn't really mean it like that, but it was just shock, still weird though. But I don't know, I dread telling people in person! When I found out I was pregnant with this baby, I'd only recently had a mc, so had just gone through the process of thinking up a way to tell her about that pregnancy (she lives overseas, just had my daughter make her a video because I wasn't doing it over the phone after last time!). Anyway, this time, I just sent her and email and that was that. We aren't close with MIL anymore, so my husband will eventually just text her and tell her so she knows and doesn't just hear it from someone else. But honestly everyone else is just going to find out when we announce it on facebook because I hate doing it so much! :dohh: I'm sure it will all go well for you. It always easier than you'll think it will be, even if it's stressful thinking about it (doesn't mean I don't still avoid it though!).

Thanks MindUtopia. I found it much easier to do with my DD. I wasn't really worried about it all. I know we'll not get any negative reactions and everyone is going to be super pleased for us. I think it's just that telling people makes it more real. Does that make sense? This LO was very much a welcome surprise and I think that's making me paranoid as I didn't find out until I was about 7 weeks and I had been drinking and taking cold remedies and such like in that time. I'll feel better after my scan on Monday I'm sure and I know it will all be fine this weekend.
Thanks again x

For me, baby number 1, 3 and 4 were hard. The first I didn't know what to expect, third wasn't planned at all so I really worried. This time I worried for nothing and when I told my mother she told me I had her blessing. I think we just worry because it's normal. You'll do fine!! :)

I'm the same as you, I'm 14+3 and still haven't gone public. It's partly because I had a mc a few months ago, but same as you I had told family with my ds around 9 weeks, and went public at 12. But I feel like once I've told people there's no going back, and it scares me! I will officially be pregnant rather than it just being something that only we know. I guess I am just terrified of something going wrong. I'm waiting till my 16 week midwife appointment to announce, no particular reason for that date, it's just that I've set it in my mind.

Thanks ladies for your replies. As expected, everyone was really pleased for us and DH's mum was over the moon. Naturally, his dad showed no emotion and no congratulations was forthcoming (he's a complete idiot and has zero people skills. He was exactly the same when we told him about DD so I wasn't surprised).
Now all I need to worry about is my scan later on today :/

Glad everything went well and good luck for your scan xx

Good luck at your scan today! Im sure all is well.

Thanks for checking back ladies. Everything was absolutely fine at the scan. Baby was moving about loads so she was finding it hard to get decent pictures and measurements. Got there in the end and I'm further along than I thought I was. I'm 13w2d and due 27th January. All seems far more real now.

I'm glad it worked out well for you!

My problem is I want to tell all the people I love right away, and for me, the hardest part is waiting till the riskiest part is behind and it's more or less "safe" to let people know...

I'm glad it worked out well for you!

My problem is I want to tell all the people I love right away, and for me, the hardest part is waiting till the riskiest part is behind and it's more or less "safe" to let people know...

This was me in my first pregnancy! I couldn't wait to tell. Now I'm having the opposite problem - 15+4 and still haven't announced it. Only just told dh's parents which is naughty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->