State, Private Or Home Schooling?

They will be state schooled.. However we do have a local grammar school that I'd think about getting them into if they were doing well!

I know people who have been homeschooled that have no grasp on real life ect. That's why I wouldn't do it, even if i could.

I know people who have been homeschooled that have no grasp on real life ect. That's why I wouldn't do it, even if i could.

Lol, I know people that have been to school that have no grasp on real life.:winkwink:

They will be state schooled.. However we do have a local grammar school that I'd think about getting them into if they were doing well!

Oddly enough, I plan to home educate because I don't think school gives enough exposure to real life!

I'm hoping to be in a position to home school Albert. I am already saving to take him on a gap year to a developing country to learn essential skills about things that really matter to OH and I.

If we can't home school him then it will be a state school as I don't agree with private education.

Why don't you agree with private education? If the parents can afford it, then why not.

Becaue good education should be a right, not a privilege.

I'm hoping to be in a position to home school Albert. I am already saving to take him on a gap year to a developing country to learn essential skills about things that really matter to OH and I.

If we can't home school him then it will be a state school as I don't agree with private education.

Why don't you agree with private education? If the parents can afford it, then why not.

You took the words right out of my mouth! :haha:

Tacey, i also want to home school because i feel children aren't kept in touch with the real world at school :thumbup:

In what way are children not in touch with the real world?

As not only a state school teacher but also a state educated person I do find this statement a bit bizarre!!??

I'm honestly interested in your viewpoint :)

Because where in life, other than at school, are you expected to only work with and mix with people the same age as yourself? When you are home educated you mix with a massive age range from elderly people to babies. This it, IMO, closer to life in the 'real world'.

Because where in life, other than at school, are you expected to only work with and mix with people the same age as yourself? When you are home educated you mix with a massive age range from elderly people to babies. This it, IMO, closer to life in the 'real world'.

That's an interesting point, I've never thought about it that way before.

Wait
Am I the only person that cant see arrows, or santas grotto???
I dont even know where to look! :cry:

:D

an interesting point thanks :) I know nothing about home schooling at all so in what ways do home schooled kids mix with such a diverse age range of people?

but going to school is only part of a childs life and the main point of going to school is to get an education. One would hope that state and priately educated kids would gain mixin with such a diverse age range in their home life through family and friends :)

I don't see how going to school with our peers has a detrimental affect on our lives.

an interesting point thanks :) I know nothing about home schooling at all so in what ways do home schooled kids mix with such a diverse age range of people?

but going to school is only part of a childs life and the main point of going to school is to get an education. One would hope that state and priately educated kids would gain mixin with such a diverse age range in their home life through family and friends :)

I don't see how going to school with our peers has a detrimental affect on our lives.

There's a few reasons for me - i'm not entirely convinced the government want us to know 'too much' and they have a huge say on the curriculum.

At the age of 11 i knew about pi and atoms and the structure of a sentence, but no idea how to apply them in the real world. I am hoping that in using alternative ways of teaching and being able to cater to exactly the type of learning albert needs will help him to see how things are of use every day.

I also want Albert to understand that all people are just people, regardless of their standing in society. I don't want him to think that he must do what all adults tell him to do and that is what school made me believe when i was younger.

I would like albert to know how to find a clean water source, how to grow/find his own food and even how to build his own home and i feel HE would be best to teach him those things alongside the usual subjects taught at school :flower:

Teaching what I teach (History, geography and RE) and the skills that I teach my students we teach these skills to them so they know how to apply them IRL.

For example in geography we have a unit in which students have to look through a paper and find a job (so they learn about finding employment) then they look at train/bus timetables and work out which mode of transport they would use to get them to work on time. Very helpful IRL when they leave school and gain employment!

We also roughly teach them about mortgages, we let them choose a job with a salary (out of a hat) and a family scenario (single, couple, 2 kids etc etc) then give them the sums to work out how much they could borrow (it is basic but they are 13!!) then they have to find a property suitable for their circumstance they can afford :)

In RE every unit has a dedicated lesson(s) on how that particular religion affects the local community and wider world!

Teaching them about Hitler always moves to the point of why democracy is so important yet can so spectacularly fail.

These are just a few examples I haven't been at work since July and am struggling to remember!!

We can't teach our kids EVERYTHING at school and kids have parents to extend and enhance their education.

But their are positive and negatives of both :) State school is free education for everyone. Private and home schooling is there for a select few who are able to do it :)

In the whole 5 years of high school the only thing we where taught was The famine, the vikings 1066,volcanos and earthquakes. Thats all, no ww2 or any wars. RE was ester over and over again. I had a lot of books I like history my school was crap the teachers bunked. I didnt have teachers for science, careers, art and music. :(

But if you stop all private education and everyone gets an education for 'free' then there would be even less money in the pot for state education

i dont want to home school, i dont agree with it at ALL. i also dont want poppy to go to a private school. its different here in northern ireland though, we have secondary and grammar schools- depending on how you do in primary school, and several tests, depends on which you will go to really. the smarter kids go to grammar school. *in general*

i dont want to home school, i dont agree with it at ALL. i also dont want poppy to go to a private school. its different here in northern ireland though, we have secondary and grammar schools- depending on how you do in primary school, and several tests, depends on which you will go to really. the smarter kids go to grammar school. *in general*

I was wondering was it the same in England as I got confused on things. Theres a lot of grammar schools down this area, more than high schools.

Teaching what I teach (History, geography and RE) and the skills that I teach my students we teach these skills to them so they know how to apply them IRL.

For example in geography we have a unit in which students have to look through a paper and find a job (so they learn about finding employment) then they look at train/bus timetables and work out which mode of transport they would use to get them to work on time. Very helpful IRL when they leave school and gain employment!

We also roughly teach them about mortgages, we let them choose a job with a salary (out of a hat) and a family scenario (single, couple, 2 kids etc etc) then give them the sums to work out how much they could borrow (it is basic but they are 13!!) then they have to find a property suitable for their circumstance they can afford :)

In RE every unit has a dedicated lesson(s) on how that particular religion affects the local community and wider world!

Teaching them about Hitler always moves to the point of why democracy is so important yet can so spectacularly fail.

These are just a few examples I haven't been at work since July and am struggling to remember!!

We can't teach our kids EVERYTHING at school and kids have parents to extend and enhance their education.

But their are positive and negatives of both :) State school is free education for everyone. Private and home schooling is there for a select few who are able to do it :)

I did do that sort of thing at school but not until i was about 13/14. I am also aware I have a slightly different view on 'real life' to lots of people :haha: I guess I want Albert to see that life doesn't have to be go to school, sit exams, get a job, get a girlfriend, marry her, get a mortgage, have babies. Although that is a wonderful life for a lot pf people and i'll have no problems if that is what Albert wants, OH and I aren't suited to that lifestyle so i think Albert will be the sane :flower:

Sure it's gotten ugly. It's like a benefits/welfare/housing thread - always turns into bickering about money and social class. The divide and attitudes between the haves & have nots seems to be very overwhelming here on BnB, something I haven't seen on North American-based forums.

Kind of breaks my heart TBH to see such a divide.

Us English are a pain in the arse for social classes :dohh:
Everyone pretends it no longer exists, that it went out with Queen Victoria but snobbery is alive and kicking and yes, I reckon we are probably one of the main offenders.
English are obsessed with money, possessions even owning their own property, hence we have the phrase 'keeping up with the Jones'...'
I do find it all rather vulgar TBH.

Oddly enough, I plan to home educate because I don't think school gives enough exposure to real life!

that's absolutely fair enough :thumbup: but if you balance it right there shouldn't be a problem? :shrug:

the people who I've known to be home schooled have grown up with awful morals I suspect down to the way they weren't particularly taught right from wrong. Also probably not exposed to people that wouldn't "like" or get on with them in real life so don't learn that either.

Who knows, they may have turned out that way regardless but it's really put me off the idea. For all it's bad, I think school teaches valuable life lessons x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->