State, Private Or Home Schooling?

In the whole 5 years of high school the only thing we where taught was The famine, the vikings 1066,volcanos and earthquakes. Thats all, no ww2 or any wars. RE was ester over and over again. I had a lot of books I like history my school was crap the teachers bunked. I didnt have teachers for science, careers, art and music. :(

Let's play swapsies with our knowledge! :haha: I went to three secondary schools due to moving around. In Year 7 we looked mainly at Tudors and World War 2; in Year 8 it was Battle of Hastings and can't remember what else; moved school in year 9 and it was ww2 for more or less the entire year! My History teacher at my new school was shocking, and I am convinced I'd have done GCSE History instead of Geography, if I'd had a better experience there. In year 10 we moved again and I chose not to take my History study further. I read a lot and am lucky in that my dad is very into History and Literature, and he passed that passion onto me; I may study it further at some point.

Geography had more variety; at my secondary school (where I went for GCSE) we had separate classes for human geog and physical geog, and we covered a lot of ground. I found it fascinating and that experience spurred me on to read more in my own time and I still do now.

So I definitely think our school experiences can influence our motivations outside of school, but for me, as I said, it was also my father.

i dont want to home school, i dont agree with it at ALL. i also dont want poppy to go to a private school. its different here in northern ireland though, we have secondary and grammar schools- depending on how you do in primary school, and several tests, depends on which you will go to really. the smarter kids go to grammar school. *in general*

I was wondering was it the same in England as I got confused on things. Theres a lot of grammar schools down this area, more than high schools.

Used to, but a lot of grammars have been phased out. We only have one or two in this area of the UK now. Chn can still do the 11+ and can go to grammar if they get the required grades, I believe; but it does rather depend on there being one in their area.

I reckon jealousy is a major factor and a lot of ignorance. I actually think deep down if people did have the money alot of parents would send their children to private school!

And this here is the exact attitude I would work damned hard to ensure my child did NOT foster if he were to go to public school. I think it takes a certain kind of person to think that others are jealous of them, and unfortunately a great many of them are to be found in public schools, or are the product of a public school.

I have been lucky in my life in that I was awarded excellent grades in my GCSEs, A-Levels and in my degree and the only part of that education that had to be paid for was my degree. I would never be so bigotted as to think that someone would be jealous of me and I think a lot of that comes from the fact that I have always been surrounded by family and friends who are extremely well grounded and for that I am thankful.

In fact, reading some of the opinions on here has helped me make my mind up that I will be searching for a good local state school for my son and any subsequent children.

I agree, I don't think jealousy is an issue at all and this is exactly the kind of attitude I would hate for my son to develop also.

They will be state schooled.. However we do have a local grammar school that I'd think about getting them into if they were doing well!

I know people who have been homeschooled that have no grasp on real life ect. That's why I wouldn't do it, even if i could.

Which grammar school moomoo (I know you are reasonably local to me). I know there is one in Crediton and one at Street but I didn't know about any others round here? I'd be keen to send her to a grammar if I thought there was one within a sensible distance.

They will be state schooled.. However we do have a local grammar school that I'd think about getting them into if they were doing well!

I know people who have been homeschooled that have no grasp on real life ect. That's why I wouldn't do it, even if i could.

Which grammar school moomoo (I know you are reasonably local to me). I know there is one in Crediton and one at Street but I didn't know about any others round here? I'd be keen to send her to a grammar if I thought there was one within a sensible distance.

It's nearer the coast in a little village called Colyton? Not sure if you've ever heard of it? Anyway the school is Colyton Grammar School, maybe google and have a look? They have amazing GCSE results, and it's a very sought after school as "normal" children can go there, ie you don't have to pay. Think there is an 11+ acceptance exam though x

I reckon jealousy is a major factor and a lot of ignorance. I actually think deep down if people did have the money alot of parents would send their children to private school!

And this here is the exact attitude I would work damned hard to ensure my child did NOT foster if he were to go to public school. I think it takes a certain kind of person to think that others are jealous of them, and unfortunately a great many of them are to be found in public schools, or are the product of a public school.

I have been lucky in my life in that I was awarded excellent grades in my GCSEs, A-Levels and in my degree and the only part of that education that had to be paid for was my degree. I would never be so bigotted as to think that someone would be jealous of me and I think a lot of that comes from the fact that I have always been surrounded by family and friends who are extremely well grounded and for that I am thankful.

In fact, reading some of the opinions on here has helped me make my mind up that I will be searching for a good local state school for my son and any subsequent children.

I agree, I don't think jealousy is an issue at all and this is exactly the kind of attitude I would hate for my son to develop also.

Im bloody jealous that i most probably won't be able to send my LO to private school - if i win the lottery then LO will have no choice but to go to a private school, but one that is in our area so he can still come home at night. We have Rugby School on our doorstep - ooh hubby said they do scholarships :happydance:

Im bloody jealous that i most probably won't be able to send my LO to private school - if i win the lottery then LO will have no choice but to go to a private school, but one that is in our area so he can still come home at night. We have Rugby School on our doorstep - ooh hubby said they do scholarships :happydance:

We could afford to send LO to private school but I don't agree with it and tbh I never want him to even think that people would be jealous of him. I want him to grow up knowing what we have is not a right, it's a priveledge.

Good luck on the lottery!!! lol :thumbup:

Jealousy DOES happen though, no doubt about it. It's very true, and does happen. I have definately experienced it with some people i have come into contact with.

I don't think someone who was genuinely jealous and envious would admit it. I say all the time ''ohh I'm so jealous'' like if someone has a lovely new pair of shoes I'd say ''oo, jealous :p '' when I'm not really jealous, its just something people say. Would someone who has been genuinely hit with the green eyed monster admit the fact to the person they were envious of?

We're still undecided about where we'll send Harrison but it'll probably be a good state school. I'm not fussed on many of the schools around here so we'll be looking to move to an area with an excellent state school well before he's 5. A good education is the best gift you can give imo
xx

Sure it's gotten ugly. It's like a benefits/welfare/housing thread - always turns into bickering about money and social class. The divide and attitudes between the haves & have nots seems to be very overwhelming here on BnB, something I haven't seen on North American-based forums.

Kind of breaks my heart TBH to see such a divide.

Us English are a pain in the arse for social classes :dohh:
Everyone pretends it no longer exists, that it went out with Queen Victoria but snobbery is alive and kicking and yes, I reckon we are probably one of the main offenders.
English are obsessed with money, possessions even owning their own property, hence we have the phrase 'keeping up with the Jones'...'
I do find it all rather vulgar TBH.

I'm glad the education divide doesn't happen as much in Ireland (where I am from). Hopefully we can get back there by the time LO is ready to start school.

I don't think someone who was genuinely jealous and envious would admit it. I say all the time ''ohh I'm so jealous'' like if someone has a lovely new pair of shoes I'd say ''oo, jealous :p '' when I'm not really jealous, its just something people say. Would someone who has been genuinely hit with the green eyed monster admit the fact to the person they were envious of?

We're still undecided about where we'll send Harrison but it'll probably be a good state school. I'm not fussed on many of the schools around here so we'll be looking to move to an area with an excellent state school well before he's 5. A good education is the best gift you can give imo
xx

I get what you mean. But sometimes jealousy is something you can actually tell from some people by the way they act. Granted, only 1 person has admitted they are jealous (albeit, we were having harsh words) .. but that's only one who's admitted it, so i am pretty sure there are plenty others that keep it to themselves.

I have an absolutely gorgeously attractive friend, and some girls are really nasty about her, they call her ugly/slut/promiscuous etc ... she's none of those, it's obvious they are jealous of how great she looks.

Jealousy is quite a tabooish subject i think, but boy does it happen.

I was home schooled, except for 2nd grade, and freshman year of high school and above. HOnestly I hated being homeschooled after 7th grade, bc I felt that I needed more friends and to get out of the house more. My mom did a great job of teaching me though. then when I went to what we call in america, private school, I had friends, but I also wa sa loner, and had a hard time interacting with people, I think primarilary bc my mom didnt get me out enough I think. then after private school, I went to public school my last year of high school and I Loved it!! absolutely loved it!! so I think with my kids, I might send them to public school, but teach them all the extras at home, so they get the best of both worlds. I have nothing against homeschooling as long as the parents make sure the kids go to meetups, and get their kids out with other kids more than my mom did.

I had a horrific time at state school, I was bullied from beginning to end and shoved to the back of the class so the teachers could concentrate on the kids who were already doing well. In an ideal world I'd like to educate Rufus at home, ensuring he gets to mix with children too (apparently there's a friendly circle of homeschoolers in my area who all meet up and do things together). If this isn't possible or practical I'd like him to go to a private or alternative school, depending on funds. Mainstream education only seems to cater for one type of intellect and dismisses the rest.

We could afford to send LO to private school but I don't agree with it and tbh I never want him to even think that people would be jealous of him. I want him to grow up knowing what we have is not a right, it's a priveledge.

Good luck on the lottery!!! lol :thumbup:

Not everyone who goes to a private school assumes others are jealous of them. My sisters were at a private school for most of their education and I went for two years (I didn't like it). My parents were not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. We lived in our bought council house on an estate and my parents worked incredibly hard to give us the opportunity to go to the school (and we did too, got assisted places by passing exams), it definitely wasn't easy and we all went without other luxuries. We never went abroad or were bought flashy presents, we lived a very humble life apart from the schooling. I definitely never imagined that anyone would be jealous of us.

I had a horrific time at state school, I was bullied from beginning to end and shoved to the back of the class so the teachers could concentrate on the kids who were already doing well. In an ideal world I'd like to educate Rufus at home, ensuring he gets to mix with children too (apparently there's a friendly circle of homeschoolers in my area who all meet up and do things together). If this isn't possible or practical I'd like him to go to a private or alternative school, depending on funds. Mainstream education only seems to cater for one type of intellect and dismisses the rest.

I am sorry that you had a negative expeience but have to strongly refute this statement. Teachers in a mainstream classroom teach children with a huge range of abilities and additional support needs. We employ a wide range of teaching strategies to address the learning styles of the students. In Scotland, active learning is an enormous part of the primary classroom. Teachers today know more about the 'way' people learn more than at any time in the past.

I'm sorry but this is totally rubbish!!!! I have to plan 3 types of the same lessons. A generic one, then one to stretch the "gifted and talented" and another to cater for those for special needs. We have 25% special educational needs at my school as well as some VERY intelligent young people and I can tell you each child is catered for.

We have a strong SEN manager at my school as well as teaching assistants to support those students who require extra help. We have students with aspergers syndrome, we have 2 blind students, students with hearing problems, those that are dyslexic/dyspraxic and then those with emotional needs. It is tough going but on the whole these students do so much better in a mainstream environment than being shoved off to a special needs school.

Now I realise this is not always the case and independent on the school and more specifically the teacher. Sometimes unfortunately the school just isn't right for a particular student, but to say that state school doesn't cater for all is complete bollocks.

My daughter will be going to a regular state school. Both me and OH did and we turned out pretty well!!

I don't believe that private/public school is all about money, even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't automatically choose to send her to private school.

I don't feel that I have the wealth of knowledge and experience needed to homeschool.

We'll be going for Montessori schooling for primary school and after that I'm not too sure.

I'd love to home school but, despite feeling confident that I could teach my daughter a lot more and in a much more interesting manner than structured education, I don't feel I could offer her the important social education that school can. Montessori is a great compromise as it's very relaxed and the children develop at their own pace.

I've always felt that, no matter where your children go to school, the main responsibility for educating them lies with the parents. School can only provide so much and it isn't always for every child as we all learn in different ways and a passion for learning, particularly with creative children, can often be squashed by formal schooling. I mean, how many of us really know or even care about British history, types of cloud or even the periodic table? I'm not saying that these are useless things to know or don't have their place but these are all incredibly boring things to a creative, innovative person.

So, I think if you take on the responsibility of educating your child, in a way that suits them, at home then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think we're lucky in that we can afford Montessori education or even the possibility of any private education but, to an extent, I think the variety of people you meet in state schools has a socially educational benefit all of its own! Mixing with so many different kinds of people, you learn to fit yourself into different roles whereas the majority of private schools are populated by quite affluent families and you risk children only being able to mix with those types of people which isn't real life. Montessori is great for variety but, from what I can see, it only goes up to middle school level, at most, so, all of that said, I am a little unsure about whether to go down the private or state route for secondary school.

We'll be going for Montessori schooling for primary school and after that I'm not too sure.

I've always felt that, no matter where your children go to school, the main responsibility for educating them lies with the parents. School can only provide so much and it isn't always for every child as we all learn in different ways and a passion for learning, particularly with creative children, can often be squashed by formal schooling. I mean, how many of us really know or even care about British history, types of cloud or even the periodic table? I'm not saying that these are useless things to know or don't have their place but these are all incredibly boring things to a creative, innovative person./QUOTE]

As I said a few posts back, primary teaching in the 21st century does not involve standing reading out of a book to a class who sit quietly in rows. My life would be so much easier if it did. Teachers today employ a wide range of strategies to ensure they cover the learning styles of ALL their pupils. The Active Learning approach employed by many schools also means that children have the opportunity to learn in a manner that keeps them involved and stimulated.

Primary education is about a rounded education. It is the opportunity to start to learn about many different things. As an adult I want to have a good all round general knowledge. I don't agree with writing things off because they are not appealing to your creative side. Whether you are creative or not there are many 'facts' which are worth knowing. It is worth remebering that just because you feel that you are creative, it does not follow that your child will be the same.

I've always felt that, no matter where your children go to school, the main responsibility for educating them lies with the parents. School can only provide so much and it isn't always for every child as we all learn in different ways and a passion for learning, particularly with creative children, can often be squashed by formal schooling. I mean, how many of us really know or even care about British history, types of cloud or even the periodic table? I'm not saying that these are useless things to know or don't have their place but these are all incredibly boring things to a creative, innovative person.

As I said a few posts back, primary teaching in the 21st century does not involve standing reading out of a book to a class who sit quietly in rows. My life would be so much easier if it did. Teachers today employ a wide range of strategies to ensure they cover the learning styles of ALL their pupils. The Active Learning approach employed by many schools also means that children have the opportunity to learn in a manner that keeps them involved and stimulated.

Primary education is about a rounded education. It is the opportunity to start to learn about many different things. As an adult I want to have a good all round general knowledge. I don't agree with writing things off because they are not appealing to your creative side. Whether you are creative or not there are many 'facts' which are worth knowing. It is worth remebering that just because you feel that you are creative, it does not follow that your child will be the same.

I don't expect that my child would be the same, my point was actually focused on nurturing your child's personal strengths. Being creative/innovative is just an example of a personality type. Like I said, I'm not saying certain things aren't worth knowing. At the age of 23 I have also been in the school system this century, a beacon state school.

I would be interested to know how to cater to the strengths and learning styles of all children simultaneously as I didn't notice this in my school, nor did my partner in his school which was, at the time, the best state school in the country. I'm not saying you're wrong, at all, but it hasn't been my experience and that's precisely what I am basing my beliefs upon - like anyone else. I am, however, open to being wrong and learning something new as, like I said, I remain undecided between state and private school education at secondary school level.

I'm not too sure I necessarily agree in well rounded education being very important, however. I am sure it is useful, but I'm also sure it wouldn't be problematic to go without various aspects of the curriculum (not including core subjects).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->