• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sterilisation

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
Firstly I'm probably going to try for another soon but have some questions as my family planning said no and gave no explanations.

I have three boys, my last pregnancy was twins so after that we were done, I had the implant in and figured we would wait it out a few years and when we a were 100% sure I'd get sterilised.

Then I got diagnosed with a type of hearing loss which is made worse by hormones and my hearing was declining so had to have that removed and if I want more children need to do it soon before my hearing gets worse as once I get surgery I really shouldn't have more or I'd undo it all and probably be completely deaf.

So when I went to talk about getting my implant removed we wet through all options and basically due to various reasons all I can use is barrier, so I asked about sterilisation for me or hubby (preferably me) and he said no, then when I got it out I asked if I had another section(I had breech twins last time) could I get sterilised the same time and he said yes, given my circumstances, but I said but not now and he said no!

Anyone know the criteria for sterilisation? Does this seem odd to anyone else?

I don't know the criteria but ask for a second opinion if you want. Also I thought they don't like to sterilise during section now as the success rate isn't as high as normal sterilisation?

It seems to be different all over as I have seen women on here been sterilised younger and with less children than me but my doc says no

I ask every time I am in the doctors, no matter what it is for lol I am married 11 years with 3 children, I'm 36 and my last pregnancy was full of complications. I do not want any more children. Ever.

They keep spinning me the line about how there are long term methods of contraception just as effective? I have a copper coil as I don't do hormones, but there is always that chance of it failing which terrifies me

I don't know the criteria for women but I know a man aged 34 who has 3 kids and is getting a vasectomy soon. It wasn't just a simple ask and go on the waiting list though... him and his wife both had to speak to the surgeon, sign forms and it seemed like the hospital tried to talk them out of it. The first time my friend asked (about a yr ago) the GP said come back in 6 months if you still want it.

I imagine theres a lot of money wasted on reversals after vasectomies and sterilisation is a big operation, im not surprised they dont want to do them.

I asked last time I saw my GP as I'm happy with 3 and so is hubby, and my health too suffers so was thinking permanent as we're moving on with our lives now.

She basically said , 'no because you'll only want it un-done in 2 years so go back on the pill'. I too don't want the hormones as I already take thyroid treatment which is hormone based and it can make me poorly. I don't really like the idea of implants or coils (not good with foreign objects in my body lol).

She did suggest that maybe hubby should do it instead.....but to me it's my body and I want to be in control. She did say that if I get to 33 (I'm 30 in Sept) and I'm still adamant/have had another, then she'd put me forward. :shrug:

It's because it's apparently a lot harder (and more expensive) to undo than a vasectomy so they tend not to do them to women under a certain age or under a certain amount of children. They will do them during c sections because they are already in there. Though they did that for my friend and it didn't work and she found out she was pregnant with her 5th at 34 weeks pregnant.

So yeah that's what I've been told x

I can't have copper as I bleed very heavy and I can't have any hormonal either! So I have no options other than barrier which doesn't give me much choice of the next, what, 20 years?

I wouldn't do it now as I am sure we will have more, well I don't know but part of us feels like NTNP, but 4 will be more than enough for us.

I was sterilised in November. The criteria where I live (and from looking on NICE guidelines) is minimum age 30 and minimum of 2 children. I had to fight tooth and nail thru' my GP - even though it is in black and white due to medical complications the consultant team I was under in both pregnancies advised me it was too dangerous for me to have further pregnancies - the GP kept insisting I should try a coil - I can't have one for other Gynae problems and I can only have the mini pill once again all in my medical history. I got quite $hitty with her told her to read my notes and give me a ring in a couple of days, she obviously did, I had my consultation mid October - I met the criteria without all of the other problems so no argument from the consultant and had the operation 17th November!! The only thing they did stress (because they have to) is no sterilisation or vasectomy can be reversed on the NHS you have to pay for it. I would say if you are really sure you want it done, get yourself armed with all of the facts including a copy of the NICE guidelines and fight your corner - good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->