sterilize or not??

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by helenas81, Dec 19, 2009.

1. helenas81

helenas81 Well-Known Member

someone told me today you dont have to sterilize baby bottles after 6 months, is that right?

2. beancounter

beancounter Well-Known Member

I think its 12months recommended these days.

3. elsielouise

elsielouise Well-Known Member

As long as you are using formula unless you are an expert washer upper. Milk breeds bacteria v easily and can be harder to clean than juices or water (not that I used a bottle for juice or water even).

4. soup

soup Well-Known Member

i have stopped sterilizing everything except bottles, i think the most improtant bit is to sterilise the teats but as milk is ther perfect breeding ground for milk. but anything else, no chance, he puts everything in his mouth anyway so whats the point!

5. craftymum

craftymum Mum to Jacob and Jenna

I'll keep sterilising until Jacob is a year old but recently we had a friend over from the States and her grandchildren never had a sterilised bottle from birth and they are all perfectly healthy and never get sick so I don't know, I guess it's a personal choice really.

6. elainegee

elainegee Well-Known Member

a health visitor in my work gave me into trouble for still sterilizing my daughters bottles at around 11 months she said it was no longer needed?

7. Pyrrhic

Pyrrhic Well-Known Member

It's recommended that you sterilise up to 12 months.

However some people see it, that at 6 months most babies are crawling around putting things into their mouth anyway, so why sterilise.

We did up until 11 months.

8. emilyjade

emilyjade mummy of two!

i was told by HV to do it up 2 12 months

9. candeur

candeur Well-Known Member

I stopped sterilising at 12months. Wouldn't have felt comfortable stopping before then x

10. helenas81

helenas81 Well-Known Member

thanks ladies, i just thought you always had to, will carry on till around a year then

11. mamalove

mamalove mum to 3 girls and a boy

I never sterilized bottles.

12. sobersadie

sobersadie 2 sons and a daughter :-)

Its up to yourself really. I sterilised up to i stopped using bottles (12 months). I never sterilised bowls, spoons and cups though as the food u put in them isnt sterile and by that age they are putting everything in thierr mouths anyway. The milk can go sour quick though so thats why i did the bottles up till i finished with them.

13. helen1234

helen1234 Well-Known Member

i'll sterilise till 12 months, i keep my bottles in the steriliser i havent got room to put them anywhere else lol

14. britt1986

britt1986 Well-Known Member

Should You Sterilize Your Baby's Bottles?

In the old days when water supplies were not reliably clean, it made sense to sterilize baby bottles. But now, sterilizing bottles, nipples, and water is mostly unnecessary.

Unless your water supply is suspected to harbor contaminated bacteria, it is as safe for your baby as it is for you. There is no reason to sterilize what is already safe.

Sterilizing the bottles and nipples is also unwarranted. Thorough cleaning with soap and water gets rid of almost all germs. And once on the bottle, the nipple begins to pick up all the germs in the environment, so a "sterile" nipple and bottle is just a pipe dream anyway.

I never sterilized my son's bottle or nipples and he is just fine. Although, I think it is a personal choice, but if you read up above it is no longer nessesary if you have a reliable water source, then soap and hot water will do the same thing.

15. dizzyspells

dizzyspells Mia & Finnlays Mummy.xxx

I always steralise the milk bottles till 12mths but cups,spoons,bowls etc I do not.x

16. Faerie

Faerie Proud Mummy

I think if she was having milk from a bottle I would still sterilise it as long as she's using the bottle, however she doesn't and the only thing I sterilise (by boiling for 5 mins) are her dummies.
    She drinks her water from a cup and I just wash that up normally.

17. Abz1982

Abz1982 Mum to 2 nutters!

I stopped steralising Emmas at 6 months, adn she hasnt had any issues so far. She puts all sorts in her mouth so she is more likely to get something off that than her bottles as we make them up v hot, then cool immediately.

18. Faerie

Faerie Proud Mummy

I just thought I'd add the reason I would sterilise is purely because I'm lazy and unlikely to wash her bottle up straight after she's finished it. If you wash up imediately I don't see the need.