• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sterilizing Special Needs Children

If they are as disabled as you as saying, then the only way they will get pregnant or make somebody pregnant would be abuse by someone else I'm sorry to say and that is a very different topic altogether.

I work with children with severe disabilities and one or two of the girls have been put on the pill just to control their periods for mood swings, PMT etc not for birth control. If two adults with learning difficulties who are capable of having sex together are capable of having a child IMHO.

I agree.

I also don't buy it for comfort reasons. Not everyone has big symptoms associated with puberty or periods. I don't agree with the assumptions that are made, neither that there will necessarily be insurmountable discomfort, that there is necessarily a risk of conceiving a child nor that that child could not be looked after if there was one. A lot of assumptions being made to justify a huge violation of human rights IMO.

Here's another: If your special needs child was cognitively disabled, but not enough that he or she wasn't able to comprehend having sex, or if they were cognitive enough to be coerced into having sex, and birth control failed resulting in pregnancy, would you have your child continue with the pregnancy?

This is going under the assumption that he or she is not mature or responsible enough to raise another child, leaving you responsible to raise the child born.

As a mother of a daughter who has autism ABSOLUTELY FK'N NO WAY IN HELL would I ever consider doing this and I am horrified people who don't even have a child with a dissability are tossing this around. Horribly offended right now!

Here's another: If your special needs child was cognitively disabled, but not enough that he or she wasn't able to comprehend having sex, or if they were cognitive enough to be coerced into having sex, and birth control failed resulting in pregnancy, would you have your child continue with the pregnancy?

This is going under the assumption that he or she is not mature or responsible enough to raise another child, leaving you responsible to raise the child born.

Special needs child??? Child with special needs is what I think you mean.

I think everyone was repulsed by it. I think we have a right to think about it, as we could all potentially have a child with special needs. We also all are voters and have a say in what things are acceptable in our respective countries.

I think everyone was repulsed by it. I think we have a right to think about it, as we could all potentially have a child with special needs. We also all are voters and have a say in what things are acceptable in our respective countries.

I agree that we could all have a child with special needs. I very much disagree that the general public have a right to say what is done with my daughter's reproductive organs.

A lot of assumptions being made to justify a huge violation of human rights IMO.

I agree, not matter how much you sugar coat things, this is exactley what it is :(

I think in the US there was a case of a girl undergoing a hysterectomy (her parents wanted to do it for comfort they said) and it was later deemed to be an illegal surgery.

I found this a few moments ago:

Alison Thorpe said: "Please realise I am not advocating this as a blanket policy for disabled children. For my daughter this, I think, is the right decision and a decision we have thought long and hard about." She is doing this so that her daughter will never have to suffer the pain or inconvenience of menstruation and doctors have already agreed that Katie will never be able to have children anyway.

https://www.dollymix.tv/2007/10/alison_thorpe_chooses_hysterec.html

I don't really know, I don't have much of an opinion because I have no idea what this family is going though.

I agree that we could all have a child with special needs. I very much disagree that the general public have a right to say what is done with my daughter's reproductive organs.

I agree, and I think this thread is showing, everyone also agrees.

I have reported this thread. To me, this is morally wrong and should not be discussed on this site, just like abortion.

Totally, the general public should NEVER have a say in something like this. As for the parents, idk? Again, I have no opinion on that as I don't have a child with special needs. I really, really cannot form an opinion other than for the main reason being sterilization against pregnancy I am 100% against it.

My friends sister is severely disabled and has a mentally ill boyfriend, she had the baby and sorry for this...., threw the baby down the stairs as he was crying and he died. They live together on their own. I 110% believe they should not be steralised as at the end of the day they are a human being and have rights, but i agree with the contraception, just like any other girl, if they have a really severley mental illness then i think it is up to the parents to decide not anyone else.

But then what gives the parents the right to do that?

Do i have the right to have my daughter sterlised, just because im her parent? Irregardless of her mental/physical state of mind, i think its a complete violation of someones human rights.

November - I'm pretty stunned about the quote! "pain and inconvenience of menstruation"?! You'd think a man had made he decision. Pain and inconvenience of being a woman perhaps. Blimey.

:hugs: jasmak. Try not to take it too personally. I do understand how you feel and I think those who haven't expressed disgust have been thinking about very severely disabled people, much more so than with autism. As it's something that has happened/been talked about in society I do think it's a valid debate thread.

I would be really interested to compare responses to the drug addict sterilisation thread...

Here's a blog from the parents of a child who underwent that surgery including hormone therapy to keep her small:

https://ashleytreatment.spaces.live.com/

ETA: an article as well where they answered questions: https://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/03/12/pillow.QA/index.html

Does anyone remember when this came under fire and debate?

November - I'm pretty stunned about the quote! "pain and inconvenience of menstruation"?! You'd think a man had made he decision. Pain and inconvenience of being a woman perhaps. Blimey.

:hugs: jasmak. Try not to take it too personally. I do understand how you feel and I think those who haven't expressed disgust have been thinking about very severely disabled people, much more so than with autism. As it's something that has happened/been talked about in society I do think it's a valid debate thread.

I would be really interested to compare responses to the drug addict sterilisation thread...

Try not to take it personally??? HOW can I not take that personally. People are saying to sterilize children with special needs. My child is a designated student, with aids and has Special Needs.

Where do we draw the line here? HOW do people draw the line. This is messy business. How about a child with ADHD? Or how about those with a mental illness, such as depression, or more severe? How about a child who is physically disabled but is mentally "normal"? What about children who have blood disorders, such as hemophilia? Or what about a genetic disposition that they could pass on, such as Cysitic Fibrosis, diabetes etc? Heart conditions??? What about criminals for murder, petty theft? See how this can get out of hand. NO ONE has the right to say WHO has babies, and the person who threw a statement in there about two people who are disabled throwing their child down the stairs and killing their child. Um...that happens to people who are not disabled ALL THE TIME....so give me a break. Yes, I am offended...worse, I felt like vomitting after I read the first post. Now I am angry. This is MY CHILD you are all talking about. She is a good person. I dream of her wedding day and her children...my grandchildren. Maybe she won't be able to get there in life, but I am sure the hell not going to take that away from her...and no one should be trying to even suggest taking that away from her. Don't get offended...I am way beyond offended....I have gone momma bear. Try putting your child into this coversation...and see how you feel. Actually, don't bother...because you can't. You don't know what it's like until you have a child with a dissability, and even then, you can't speak for everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->