• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sterilizing Special Needs Children

I think OP was speaking of children that are (as she said it):
If you were a parent of a special needs child who was so severely cognitively and/or physically disabled that it left them vulnerable and unable to function.

Special needs should have been clarified as there are MANY different spectrums.

I guess we need to define "function" then. Because if we are talking about someone who is in a vegetative state, I don't think the question is relevant in the first place. If we are talking about those who are not in a vegetative state...then I stick by my post.

I guess we need to define "function" then. Because if we are talking about someone who is in a vegetative state, I don't think the question is relevant in the first place. If we are talking about those who are not in a vegetative state...then I stick by my post.

Gotcha, in a vegetative state the child could not ever willfully engage in any sexual act to reproduce thus surgery on her reproductive organs for the sole purpose of sterilization would not be an issue.

You're right, if they are as severely cognitively disabled as I am implying, they would not be having intentional sex. But they are left open to vulnerability. What happens if they are raped or constantly sexually abused either by a stranger or by someone who works closely with them?

Good lord! I rather think there is a more urgent problem than contraception that needs addressing in that situation! I am well aware that children and adults with special needs are more vulnerable to abuse than others, but that simply means they need more protection from it.

My son has Downs, so is likely to be infertile anyway, but if he got into a relationship when adult and him and his partner wanted and were able to have a child, then I would support and help him, as I am not sure he'd ever be able to fully care for a child without help.

I completely disagree with sterlisation of one whole group of society on some randoms say so. I do think protection is needed and maybe contraception encouraged, but it is not the right of anyone else to tell someone that they can or can't have a child.

I just added that comment about the child being thrown down the stairs as an example that normal people like you said do the same, not just disabled people, (this girl is severly disabled). Another note my cousin is autistic and has a down syndrome wife and they have a beautiful child, but also i do think its irresponsible for parents of a child of a VEGATIVE state not to provide contraception, like they would to a normal teenage girl anyway. But in no means steralisation, if the girl/woman is unable to have decisions for their own, i think contraception is a good idea, as i think any parent would protect their child in that way. I work with vegative state young adults and 75% take the pill to control emotions etc.

I would be really interested to compare responses to the drug addict sterilisation thread...

Me too, i was actually just thinking about that thread :thumbup:

JASMAK, with all due respect, there is no use in shouting at anyone in here, we're in a debate thread, therefore you are going to come across opinions on both sides of the coin. If it upsets you that much to read then perhaps you shouldnt continue to read it? :hugs:

I would be really interested to compare responses to the drug addict sterilisation thread...

JASMAK, with all due respect, there is no use in shouting at anyone in here, we're in a debate thread, therefore you are going to come across opinions on both sides of the coin. If it upsets you that much to read then perhaps you shouldnt continue to read it? :hugs:

so now we are comparing drug addicts to those with special needs. i can't even fathom the thoughts running through some of your heads. i'm outta here

See, because of your personal interest in this subject you missed the point completely and are now making some of us out to be something that we are not and attempting to put words in our mouths.

We are here to discuss and debate, as adults, the reference to comparison between the drug addict thread was that the same question regarding the sterilisation of one group of society was posed, not in the likeness that someone with a disability is comparable to a drug addict.

so now we are comparing drug addicts to those with special needs. i can't even fathom the thoughts running through some of your heads. i'm outta here

I don't think she was comparing disabilities/drug addicts, it was more the response regarding sterilization of either group :hugs:

See, because of your personal interest in this subject you missed the point completely and are now making some of us out to be something that we are not and attempting to put words in our mouths.

We are here to discuss and debate, as adults, the reference to comparison between the drug addict thread was that the same question regarding the sterilisation of one group of society was posed, not in the likeness that someone with a disability is comparable to a drug addict.

i don't think i have missed the point at all. i am sorry some of you are so narrow-minded to not be able to see how offensive this is. i sincerely hope that nothing happens to your own children that they become 'disabled' and you feel the burn of pain whenever ignorant people open their mouths and think that it's 'no big deal'. perhaps we should sterilize ignorant people...we'd have a more accepting society. i'm leaving bnb due to this thread. i can't handle being a part of this group anymore. i thought this was a supportive group, but this is beyond offensive. to me, this is worse than abortion. shame on all of you that think it's ok to speak like this...even to 'debate' it, is so offensive. but, not going to waste my breath any longer. can't change those who are stuck in their ways.

Jasmak I was trying to be kind but I'm now sorry I bothered. You don't have the monopoly on autistic children or those with special needs. No my child does not have special needs but my nephew is autistic and who knows how my current pregnancy will turn out? I also have a great many friends with autism and Aspergers. I and almost everyone who's responded to this thread have vehemently opposed the idea of sterilisation. I mentioned the other thread because, as PP said, it was also a thread about sterilisation of a subsection of the population. In that thread I was equally opposed but far more people were not. I mentioned it as a deeper look at people's opinions over enforcing sterilisation against the will of the subject - where do people believe the line should be drawn. Pretty much all the examples you mentioned are things I and/or others had already put forward as to why this would be such a wrong thing to do.

I wouldn't as it feels morally wrong, but I would put her on long term contraception. I think that many mentally disabled people are, like many children, totally capable of, and interested in, having sex yet would be incapable of taking care of a baby.

I think this would ultimately be my decision for my child as well. Implant, depo, something that wouldn't be forgotten to be taken etc.

Blimey. Personally I think it's particularly important to debate things like this so that people can explore their own moral compass as well as that of the society they live in. Closing issues such as this behind doors is exactly what allows people to take advatange of vulnerable people/situations.

Blimey. Personally I think it's particularly important to debate things like this so that people can explore their own moral compass as well as that of the society they live in. Closing issues such as this behind doors is exactly what allows people to take advatange of vulnerable people/situations.

I agree wholeheartedly,

Anyway, lets move on and continue to discuss this as adults shall we?

Brandi, im intruiged to know, since you say its been debated many a time amongst support groups that you frequent, what are some of the opinions and reasonings of parents who feel sterilisation is the best option for their children?

Thank you, that is what I was trying to say with one of my posts.

I think it is important to be discussed, especially with the OP and Jasmak as it has happened in Canada in the past.

I was going to say this earlier, but didn't want to. But, I told my hubby and he has told me to go ahead and say it. I wonder if 50 years ago, people discussed this same subject, but using another minority....black people? Does it still seem OK to discuss this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->