steroid question

cookie4800

Reaction score
Anyone know if it makes much of a difference if you get the steroid shot for the baby's lungs at 23 weeks or 24?

I ask because I know I am 22+1. (Ivf) However Dr. wrote a date down wrong and they think I am 22+4. Babies are perfect development wise. Due to my situation I know they r going to be giving me the shot. Should I correct the date situation or be thankful they are giving me a few days. I was thinking it should be fine because in non Ivf cased due date is just a guess anyways.

Thoughts?

Why are you being given a steroid shot? Do they think you will deliver within the next week?

If they suspect you are going into pre-term labor, then yes the shot is highly recommended. In fact, more than one shot is ideal. I would not decline getting it. Just because your baby is "fully formed" does not mean he/she is ready for the outside world.

How it works:
Betamethasone and dexamethasone cause an immature fetus's lungs to produce a compound called surfactant. A full-term baby's lungs naturally produce surfactant, which lubricates the lining of the air sacs within the lungs. This allows the inner surfaces of the air sacs to slide against one another without sticking during breathing. Premature infants whose lungs have begun producing surfactant are more able to breathe on their own, or with less respiratory treatment, after birth.

Why it is used:
Betamethasone and dexamethasone are corticosteroids, also called glucocorticoids, that are given before birth (antenatally) to speed up a preterm fetus's lung development. Either is used when a mother is in preterm labor and birth may occur within 7 days. This helps prevent respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) and related complications following premature birth.

Many infants born at 33 to 34 weeks' gestation have sufficient lung maturity to breathe on their own. But considering the low-risk, high-benefit nature of this treatment, corticosteroids are typically used up to 34 weeks of pregnancy.

Source: https://www.webmd.com/baby/antenatal-corticosteroids-for-fetal-lung-development

definitley get as many doses of steroids as they will give; I had two with both of my premature deliveries. You normally get given one and then a second 12hours later. my elder prem was also given a dose of surfectant after delivery to keep her immature lungs moist.

good luck, I hope you manage to hold onto your babies a while longer.

ETA;

my youngest son was accidentally not given his dose of surfectant after birth in the delivery room... he has multiple lung issues now. I would ask your doctor about that, double check that they will be given this as I really think it helps with breathing.

I got mine yesterday and today I am 33weeks 4days..induction planned for 36 weeks but ob/gyn
Thought it doesn't hurt to have it even though lungs most likely okay by 36 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->