Sticky eye

mama2b

Mummy & TTC
Reaction score
Lucas has had sticky eyes for the past couple of days and I have been cleaning it with cool boiled water but this morning it is worse than ever.

I had a gp appointment yesterday but I couldn't go as I still can't drive due to the stitches hurting and felt ill myself. They basically said I will have to wait til Monday !

I am going to phone nhs direct as although its not an emergency surely he must be able to see a doctor over the weekend ?

Is there anything I can do in the meantime ? Is sticky eyes a common problem ? They are really bad he can hardly open them until I clean them :cry:

i was told to put a small amount of expressed milk onto a cotton wool ball and clean archies eyes with it when they were sticky i dont know why but it seemed to work... sticky eyes is a very common thing in new babies i was told it was ok if it was a greeny or yellow sticky but to watch for them getting sore also in case of conjunctivitis
xxxx hope it gets better soon

I think youre BFing arent you so I was gonna say BM too - works wonders :D

try the BM. connor had really bad sticky eyes when he was born. the MW took a sawb from them. ended up having to put drops in his eyes to clear it up

It's hugely common and can last for months. It's caused by a virus in the tear duct. Don't worry unless it gets red or looks irritated. Just keep cleaning it. I tried the BM and found it didn't help but others on here have found it worked.

Yep its pretty common, both mine had it, try BM, or cotton wool..soak in warm water and start at the inside of the eye and wipe towards the outside, use a different piece each time you wipe, whenever necessary x

Elyse has this too!! Some days it's alright, others it's awful and she can't even open her eye! But only one eye has it.. she's had it 4 weeks

Jack's eyes have only just cleared this week. They were disgusting it was like snot coming out of them. I saw hv with them and they were swabbed but nothing grew and was told to just clean with cooled boiled water. Somebody thou told me to massage the side of his eye where his tear duct is with a clean finger tip and after a week of doing this for a couple of mins a day it eventually cleared but did seem to get worse before it got better.

Phoebe had this in one eye for about 2 weeks, we just cleaned it with cooled boiled water and massaged the corner of her eye. It will go eventually but I think it can last quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->