Still having rash issues

Arcanegirl

Bazinga!!
Reaction score
*sigh* were still having issues with redness and rashes, and the hardest thing is when Alex was in disposables for 12 hrs on Sunday, it cleared up!

Im trying out another cream to try and help, but it seems we need to put some kind of barrier on for every change now to try and help it.

Its been suggeted to me an allergy to something in the nappies, like polyester but i dont think thats the cause.

Alex has very sensitive skin already and toxic pee it seems!

i was oing to suggest a strip wash but i noticed you'd posted on the thread already :)

I might do another one tbh, ive changed nearly half my stash since the last one and got quite a few new and preloved nappies.

What would be next to try if a strip wash doesnt work?

He hasnt always had the rash problem, i do think its been since hes started teething but the rash never seems to ease up now...

If would definitely do a very thorough strip wash first. Then, what wipes are you using? If you're using disposable, I'd switch to cloth and if you're already using cloth I'd look at the solution you're using. Even things like tea tree and baby wash can irritate some babies and make rash worse. I'd just switch to plain water whenever you can, or some camomile tea.

Are you using PUL wraps? Could you try using all natural materials with wool over the top?

Also it might be worth looking into raw silk or silver liners. Both are apparently very good for nappy rash/sensitive bums.

cloths wipes since born, and the solution was the same when he developed the rash, so no change there. It has been changed since to the stuff thats used in his bath but that hasnt made it any worse.

Ive switched to fitteds and wool for overnight since a week and a half ago, night time seems to be the worst with the rash though weve had no change. Some times worse around his thighs as ive no learnt i need to make sure the cover is tucked right in around his legs.

Any ideas where i would get those liners?

https://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/Nappy_Boosters_and_Liners.html They have silk liners and I've just seen camomile liners too, they might be good. They have silver liners listed but they've been sold out for ages. I've not seen them anywhere else so maybe email them to ask?

Im going to try a similar option to the chammomile ones i think, Ive read of dipping a liner into chammomile tea and laying it in the nappy so im going to give that a go.

Silk liners really do work. I only have one but whenever Tabitha has nappy rash I use it and it always looks heap better after just one nappy change.

I was about to suggest something to do with a liner....

whats the fleece that not the synthetic one? Not polar fleece from polyester, but thers another natural fleece is there not? *scratches head*

You can get bamboo fleece but that's absorbent. They use it for the inside of nappies/inserts, so you wouldn't want to use it as a liner. I think cotton fleece is absorbent too.

It's a b*gger isn't it! Mog sometimes gets these blistering rashes, especially when she's teething and has acid poo and pee. Last time we changed wipes from Pampers to Green baby wipes and started using bepanthen for every change. We also bathed her bum twice a day. It's horrible, and sometimes it actually bleeds when it gets bad. And yes, it always clears up when she's in sposies for a day. But it was at its worst one week she was in sposies all week! I'm not really sure what clears it up for us, but a barrier cream slathered on for every wash seemed to help, and we chucked out our old tub of sudocrem and bought a new one in case it had gone manky or something. I use terries, so can be pretty vicious with them if need be and do a 95 degree wash if they're getting a bit crispy. They always come up so fluffy and clean smelling afterwards...

Do you do nappy downtime? Nappy rash is normally caused from not airing the skin properly. The problem with barrier creams is if you put to much on the skin can't breath so you just want a small thin layer.

After you've wiped, do you dry with tissue afterwards? That can help to make sure the skin isn't damp.

Twiggy, are you on about lanolin? Lanolin has a natural skin repair in so a fab material to use :)

downtime as in sme time with the nappy off before putting another one on? You try getting a toddler back on the mat 10 mins later :haha:
We do always have nappy off time for half an hour before bathtime.

The barrier cream is a natrual as can be, organic babies baby balm made with bees wax.

Yes i do wipe him dry as i make my wipes quite wet.

I have some lanolin so will give that a go aswell.

The past few days it doesnt seem to be his bum thats the problem but the side of his thighs...Ill try and get a nappy on picture tomorrow so you can see the area i mean.

downtime as in sme time with the nappy off before putting another one on? You try getting a toddler back on the mat 10 mins later :haha: that's right. Have you got anywhere with say laminate or wood flooring where you can just mop up the inevitable accidents? When my sister had nappy rash (she's 4 now) this made such a big difference.
We do always have nappy off time for half an hour before bathtime. that's great that should help, it's a shame it's not summer sticking them out in the garden without a nappy for a while is a great way to do it!

The barrier cream is a natrual as can be, organic babies baby balm made with bees wax. it's not about what one you use as such, it's more to do with the fact most people naturally chuck loads on if there's bad nappy rash, and this can make it worse. Just wondering what you do? Just try a very thin layer so the skin can still breath

Yes i do wipe him dry as i make my wipes quite wet.

I have some lanolin so will give that a go aswell.

The past few days it doesnt seem to be his bum thats the problem but the side of his thighs...Ill try and get a nappy on picture tomorrow so you can see the area i mean. do you think it could be where the nappy is rubbing? Do you use fitted nappys? I Have a feeling ou do for some reason! Could it be that part of the nappy is soaking quickly?

I've added a few comments, hope it helps a bit! Like you said before it could be a reaction x

Thankfully my house aside from bedrooms is all laminate, so accidents are easily cleaned!
Garden idea is great if it werent that i have just a front garden where all can see in :dohh:

Creams, yep i do use a thin layer - i learnt that lesson with metanium lol, first time trying it didnt work as like you said i thought i needed lots! Ive learnt now little is better and apply the same for any creams now.

I didnt actually use fitteds untill 2 weeks ago and thats just for night time, the thigh rashes have been there even before using fitteds.

Take a picture like you said so we can have a look? It does sound like it's a rubbing or reaction thing!

Oh yes I remember now, I knew we'd had some conversation about fitteds!
I hope you find the answer! It's horrid poor Alex :-(

I cant get a pic :dohh: Its mostly cleared up for now so ytou wont see it, they are the areas that are prone to breaking out though so probably wont be long before i can get a pic.

For anyone interested, this is what im trying tonight to clear the last little bit on his bum (hopefully prevent his legs aswell)
https://www.plushpants.com/category/Cloth Nappies/sub_cat/Nappy Rash.html

Excuse the bad editing :dohh: Couldnt get one with nappy on where you can see properly...ill remove the pic after some responses....

this came up after not using any barrier cream

https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/karoline1246/Alexander%2018-24%20months/DSCN4235edited.jpg

how often does he wear clothes over his nappys hun? i find Nate gets chaffing from his jeans if hes wearing them alot

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->