Stomach flu! Help!!!!!

kdmalk

Reaction score
Little guy has the stomach flu. Last night before bed he seemed like he might throw up suddenly and then he didn't, so I thought maybe he just choked on his spit and gagged or something. Fed him in the night and thought maybe his tummy was bothering him, but he went right back to sleep. I did think it was weird that he woke several other times and went back to sleep with his pacifier. That isn't like him because he usually wants to nurse back to sleep.

When I fed him this morning at 5, he barfed everywhere about 15 minutes later. He wanted to nurse again at 5:40 and had a little, but threw it up at 6:20. He went to sleep after that. Threw up not much of anything about 6:40 and went right back to sleep after I cleaned us up. Now a few minutes after 7 and he is still asleep.

Obviously if I call the doctor, they will tell me to give him pedialyte, which he doesn't need because he is breastfed. My question is how often to nurse him to make sure he stays hydrated. Should I just let him sleep and feed him when he wakes up? Or should I wake him and try to feed him every 30-45 minutes to see if he can keep anything down? So lost.

HELP!!!

Has he got a temperature?
When my LO got stomach viruses her high temp would make her too sleepy to wake when she needed to. I found getting the temp under control usually meant she fed more frequently and I felt more confident she wouldn't dehydrate.

No temp right now, so I guess that's good. Woke at 8:15 and I let him have a little snack. If he holds that down for 30 minutes, I'll let him have a bit more.

My daughter had a terrible vomiting bug when she was 5 1/2 months old and the advice I was given was to just keep giving small frequent feeds even if she seemed to be vomiting everything back up immediately. Even though it looked like she wasn't keeping anything down, by following this advice we avoiding having her get too dehydrated. My advice would be to feed in the shower, though, to save you the clean-up. She stopped vomiting after about 12 hours.

So he only ended up vomiting 3 times over a period of less than 2 hours and I thought maybe it wasn't the stomach flu after all. We tried a new food the night before and I thought maybe some sort of food sensitivity. Off I went to work the next day and had no idea I was infecting the entire planet and now I have it. I obviously can't send him to daycare now, so it is going to be a fun game of "time to put the baby down so I can barf again" today. Lol.

I don't know how people deal with morning sickness with a small child. Kudos to all who suffer this fate. I am only surviving because I know the end is in sight. Not sure how I would function if I knew it would go on for weeks. It makes me shudder just to think about it.

And there goes DH. I had hoped to spare him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->