Stopping TTC in March to prevent a Christmas birthday???

xLottiex

Reaction score
Okay so a thought just entered my mind.

If I dont get pregnant this cycle, and I were to fall pregnant next cycle, the baby would be due in the midde of December.

Obviously nothing can be predicted but would it be selfish or selfless to stop TTC to avoid a December baby?

Christmas is an expensive time anyway, so having to juggle expenses for a birthday and Christmas (and our wedding anniversary) may cause a strain in December every year.

On the other hand though, what better gift than a Christmas baby?!

Why waste a month TTC?

Why not take a month out to let my body relax?

What are your views? Anyone have a Christmas/December birthday and like it / dont like it?

We had a similar dilemma, we ended up not TTC in november (no nookie november lol) as we simply could not afford another mid August baby. MIL, mine, my brother and my DS plus my parents wedding anniversary all fall in the same week!

It felt like the right decision for us :)

I've contemplated the same thing and dd was born 25th November so then I thought do we want two November babies and then Xmas but now I think sod it.

Xmas is expensive but then if we ttc again in April and got a January baby then there's not much difference in cost, especially then with dd in November. Plus knowing me if I don't catch this month then a baby would be born earlier and end up December anyway!!

I figure theres not much difference between December and January or December and November, so would need to not ttc for three months for it to actually make much difference.

The only thing that would be rubbish is for a chil having birthday and Christmas within a week or so as there's no spreading out of gifts...or for parents all toys are brought at the same time of year. For example i wanted to get dd some toys for the garden but with her birthday November I can't as she wouldn't be able to use them, whereas if she had a spring birthday then these could be a birthday gift.

Hope that makes sense!!

You're early in your TTC timeline so taking a month may be worth it if you feel like it'll remove a lot of potential stress :) for me I used to dread certain due date months thinking "oh that'd be the worst" now I honestly couldn't care what month it comes, just as long as it does ! We waited for the "right time" to TTC and now here we are 1.5 year later!

Taking a month out always feels good though, it's such a relief :)

I couldn't care less when my baby would be due, I been trying for so long now I would be grateful just to have a baby

But each to there own :)

It was just a thought. I havent spoken to my husband about it (hes away at work but back tonight) and I don't think he would mind. Having a baby any time will be a blessing! I think I'm being "sensible" but then I think I'm thinking too much into it lol!

I'm having a similar dilemma. Our son's birthday is Christmas Eve and it is very difficult financially and also not very fair on him.

On one hand I am desperate for #2, and on the other hand another December birthday might be a bit much for us! The due date would be 20th December! Don't know what to do.

we are having a months break defo wouldnt want to be heavily preg around xmas with a chance of missing xmas day with my nearly 3yr old dd

I am going to avoid March and April because we don't want a December or January baby.

DD was born on 2nd January and when we were trying for her we had lost two babies before and we're just desperate to take home a healthy baby so we took what we could get. Obviously I wouldn't change anything for the world, but she has an awful timed birthday. It's far too close to Xmas and new year. Her presents are too close together and her birthday is always overlooked. People end up buying last minute, afterthought presents and she gets hardly any cards. People are so incredibly focussed on Xmas they completely forget.

Also my sister was born on 22nd December. She gets it the same. She was 30 last year and in the summer we arranged a trip to Leeds with all of the women from the family and we arranged to go on 21st December. To celebrate her 30th. I shit you not EVERY other person except mum, me and two mates cancelled. There were meant to be about 20-25 of us. Inexcusable but people do it.

It's been the same her whole life - wrapping her presents in Xmas paper because they forgot to get birthday paper and thinking that it doesn't matter. Or buying her a joint Xmas and birthday present but not actually spending any more money. Never coming to visit for her birthday.

So yeah, for now at least we will give it a miss, but if we're still trying a year from niOS I may feel differently. :)

We agreed to take March off. I have two friends whose birthdays are they day before Christmas, and my grandma's birthday is the day after Christmas. All three have said many times that they have hated their birthday their entire life.

One of those friends said he tends to celebrate his half birthday more than his actual birthday, but that it still kind of blows.

If we are unable to get pregnant for a while, we may have different feelings down the line.

I am going to avoid March and April because we don't want a December or January baby.

DD was born on 2nd January and when we were trying for her we had lost two babies before and we're just desperate to take home a healthy baby so we took what we could get. Obviously I wouldn't change anything for the world, but she has an awful timed birthday. It's far too close to Xmas and new year. Her presents are too close together and her birthday is always overlooked. People end up buying last minute, afterthought presents and she gets hardly any cards. People are so incredibly focussed on Xmas they completely forget.

Also my sister was born on 22nd December. She gets it the same. She was 30 last year and in the summer we arranged a trip to Leeds with all of the women from the family and we arranged to go on 21st December. To celebrate her 30th. I shit you not EVERY other person except mum, me and two mates cancelled. There were meant to be about 20-25 of us. Inexcusable but people do it.

It's been the same her whole life - wrapping her presents in Xmas paper because they forgot to get birthday paper and thinking that it doesn't matter. Or buying her a joint Xmas and birthday present but not actually spending any more money. Never coming to visit for her birthday.

So yeah, for now at least we will give it a miss, but if we're still trying a year from niOS I may feel differently. :)

Yup this is what I wouldnt want. I think you have made my mind up for me!

It shouldnt make a difference whether someones birthday is spring, summer or Christmas time they should be treated the same! Its such a shame that thats not the case. You've shed some light on the situation - what its really like - and I think for the sake of 1 or 2 months not TTC it might be worth it!!

Thank you :)

I want to prevent in March for that exact reason (& so the child's birthday won't be shadowed by Christmas) but DH said what's the difference, a birthday is a birthday. Hmm.. I'm getting an HSG done in March so maybe we can hold off that month?

I'm still naive about giving birth around the major holidays :p

Yes, me too -my husband, Mother, FIL and 7 nieces and nephews birthdays are in Jan/Feb time, and loads of friends have babies born in December too. We spend december/Jan and feb going to parties and buying gifts. I think it't lovely to do so but i don;t want to add to the mix as it is so busy already and with Christmas! I will see hoe I feel in March time though, as I may be too desperate (and getting too old ) to wait.

It was just a thought. I havent spoken to my husband about it (hes away at work but back tonight) and I don't think he would mind. Having a baby any time will be a blessing! I think I'm being "sensible" but then I think I'm thinking too much into it lol!

No I totally agree with you. We have been waiting and longing for SO long that the thought of taking a month off is unthinkable. At the same time I really don't want a December birthday.
My sister's birthday is Jan 3rd, and even that was always so close to Christmas for her, poor kid. I don't want my kid to have the same problem.
At this point, in spite of the back and forth on the matter we will not be purposefully skipping next month unless it's medically necessary.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing! I will most likely skip trying in March, though spring seems to be my most fertile time, April will have to do!
My advice to everyone else is also to avoid it if you can! My DD was born Dec 16 and it's an awful birthday. Everyone has their christmas parties the weeks going up to Christmas so it's hard to get people to even show up to her party. not only that but she is absolutely spoiled in December because she gets all her presents in one month (I actually hid some of her presents and gave them to her the next month).
Another thing to think of, giving birth in december around christmas will kind of ruin your christmas. I don't want to sound ungrateful but the Christmas after I gave birth I was so frazzled and exhausted and burnt out I couldn't even enjoy all the christmas parties, all I wanted to do is snuggle in bed with my newborn. Not to mention you're breastfeeding every 2 hours or less. Another thing, at all those parties everyone wants to touch/hold your precious low immune system baby, and it is flu season :S.
November is such a boring month it would be fun to have a new baby/birthday to look forward to, I really hope I get my BFP because baby would be due Nov 1 (my birthday!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->