Straw Sippy Cup Issues o.O

hippiekinz

FTM to Mason
Reaction score
Hello Ladies!

My DS turned 1 on Dec 12 and now i'm wondering about bottles, sip cups, and straw sip cups.:wacko:

First of my my son started sippy cups with water and water/little juice around 6-7months. He LOVES to eat and drink. Around 9-10 months I got him use to drinking through a regular straw. He drank his formula from a bottle and water and water/juice with sippy cup and sippy straw from then on. Now that he's 1 years old his doctor is telling me it's time to say good bye to the bottle and wean him off. My only problem is because of the routine I've been doing, he doesn't like milk from the straw cup. I should add he drinks whole milk now - no more formula. He LOVES the milk, but doesn't want to use the straw sip cup. I got rid of half his bottles, so now we have 3. He usually only gets milk with meals and the rest of the time water/water juice through out the day.

My question is how do I get him to drink milk through the straw sippy. I've tried it myself to show him that it's OK to drink this way, but I think he knows whats going on, lol.

Any tips or advice? Should I just throw out all bottles and let him figure it out that the bottle is never coming back? He only takes 2 sips from the straw sip and that's it. I should also mention he has no issues drinking a regular straw (the ones you get when you go out to eat type ones) from a cup as long as i'm holding it. If I don't he will knock it over and get the liquid all over. Should I maybe skip the straw sippy and look for cups with the lids and straw?

Thank you in advance for and advice and tips!!:flower:

Also: I hope i'm using the terms right. When I say straw sippy cup I mean the ones that has the straw in them and you can close them to take anywhere with you type ones. Maybe those are the same as the regular straw cups? LOL. I know the cups he's using are ones that have a valve so he has to suck hard to get any milk out. With water and watered down juice - no issues, just milk.

My suggestion is to wean him slowly, reduce to morning and evening bottles of milk. They really don't need more than a couple cups of whole milk a day. Eventually we took out the morning bottle and gave her milk by straw cup. Last one we have was evening as that was more of a comfort then for nutrition. do you heat the milk in the bottle? Try giving cold milk in the cup. Like everything else all babies get there at their own pace. Dd was 15 mos by her last bottle..

Yea I was told that DS needed 16-18oz of milk a day (2 cups) I know he can drink 2 cups no problem with the bottle, but straw cup is a different story. I guess I worry he won't get enough milk. I'll try to take away a bottle and work my way. Thank you.

When I gave Alani a straw sippy cup at 12 months, she would tip it up like a normal bottle but I'd leave out for her. Then I'd forget and brought it back out at 14 months and she picked up on using the straw quickly and rarely tips it anymore.
If he's only taking two sips, that's all he wants. I'm guessing it takes babies more effort to suck from a straw and they build up how much they can suck without stopping

My health visitor makes me feel like Alani is behind on things like using a sippy cup. But as long as she's happy, I don't mind.

I read something interesting that toddlers remember things from baby-hood (like laying on your lap with a bottle) and they want to relive it sometimes as a comfort thing. I think it's cute.

I would just keep trying. If it's not working now, put it aside for a couple weeks and come back and try again. We tried to make the transition from bottle to straw cup for milk around maybe 11 months, and my daughter flat out refused. There was a lot of screaming and tears and it was horrible. I tried a few more times and nope, she wasn't having it. I just let it go for another two months and didn't worry about it. Then one morning when she was 13 months, I put her milk in the straw cup again, and she loved it! We switched entirely to the straw cups from then without any problems or upset. Sometimes it's just a matter of giving it time and trying again and not forcing the issue if it's not working. We use the Moma straw cups, if that's helpful, and love them.

There's also no hard and fast rule that you have to stop using bottles at 1 year. No, you probably shouldn't still be using them at 2 years, and you shouldn't be leaving them with a bottle to suck on in the cot all night. But short of that, using bottles for a few extra weeks or even months isn't a big deal if that's what it takes to help make the transition a smooth one.

I should of updated, he's drinking from a sippy cup and straw with no problems now. It took 2 weeks, but he's been off the bottle for a while now. He even drinks from a plastic cup with a little bit of liquid in it too.:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->