Stressed over sleeping arrangements

There's 2 approaches to getting them in their own bed imo. 1. wait until they grow out of it and move themselves out, 2. pick a time that works for all of you and start teaching them to sleep in their own bed

and I hardly think it is dangerous unless you have been drinking. I really would like to know real facts about babies dying from this.

https://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/cosleeping.html

https://www.babycenter.ca/baby/sleep/reducecotdeathexpert/

https://www.bcparent.ca/articles/family_issues/cosleeping_and_sids.html

However, you can find plenty of sites which state the opposit.... all what you believe I guess.

Personally, I do not sleep at all if I bring Jasmine in our bed, ive tried when she has been fussy, but we both sleep alot better in our own beds.

There's 2 approaches to getting them in their own bed imo. 1. wait until they grow out of it and move themselves out, 2. pick a time that works for all of you and start teaching them to sleep in their own bed

I agree... We tried to get her to sleep in her own bed but she gets right worked up over it, sweating and hyperventilating and screaming-she will sleep in her crib fine in the day, but not at bedtime-we figure she will wean herself... hopefully

See..I'm not sure if its just one of those things where "we're north america and what we say goes because we're soooooooooo (allegedly) smarter than the rest of the world" and its actually not that bad. Its so difficult to know what's really right, because in the rest of the world its natural practice.

For those who do co-sleep, do you use blankets?

I'd like to know the figures of infant deaths due to co-sleeping compared to cot deaths, actually.

I think Dr.Sears covers the death rate comparison? Although I've read so much about it I don't quite remember. Caitlyn sleeps in a sleeping bag and I have my own blanket, although I tend to cuddle up with her under my blanket alot. I am "asleep" but I am aware of her. I trust myself completely and I believe that if you don't trust yourself you shouldn't do it. It won't help you sleep atall.

Rae maybe you could get a monitor that goes off if LO does not move for 20 seconds? Then you don't have to worry about her being unsafe in her crib? I'm not out for promoting co-sleeping. It's not easier.

See..I'm not sure if its just one of those things where "we're north america and what we say goes because we're soooooooooo (allegedly) smarter than the rest of the world" and its actually not that bad. Its so difficult to know what's really right, because in the rest of the world its natural practice.

For those who do co-sleep, do you use blankets?

I'd like to know the figures of infant deaths due to co-sleeping compared to cot deaths, actually.

Yes, and four pillows as well.
If it's really cold Colton will also have another cover (one of his blankets) on him with our cover over it.

I dont know if I'm just crazy, but I've never worried about it. Plus, I've watched Colton and every time he has ever had something in front of his face he has moved. Colton doesn't use a pillow, he sleeps lower on our bed than our pillows (his head almost touches them) but he uses our cover almost every night (although he tends to not like something over him.. so kicks it off alot). We've never had even so much as a "scare" where I thought something might be wrong. We are all completely comfortable and feel secure with him where he is.

Although, I'm going to start trying to get him into his bed soon I think (hopefully around 1yr). I dont want to wait to long (I know people with 7 year olds in their bed + their babies, and people with 3-4 year olds in their bed) because I dont want him in our bed when he's in school, but while he is a baby I think it's fine. I plan on cosleeping with any others I have aswell (another reason I dont want to wait to long to move him). :D

This is the Dr. Sears site https://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/handout1.asp

It says that co-sleeping actually decreases the chances of SIDS. I've read that the only times it can be considered dangerous is when a parent is drinking,smoking,under the influence of drugs,using heavy bedding or excessivly tired.

But again,I don't co-sleep and if you decide that you'd also rather not,there's not much to be afraid of.Using wedges will prevent Renah from rolling over into her cot bumpers plus you can get a movement monitor (I have it) which will greatly help.

see i have a double bed and wat i do is i have a chair slightly lower thn the size of our bed and i put the moses basket on the chair securely and he is level with our bed enuff for me to be able t lay down and see him fine...and also pop his dummy bak in when he needs it...i think cus he can see me n hear me so close it makes him think he right nxt to me.

but how you sleep with your lo is down to you hun you no her better thn any1
take wat people say wit a pinch of salt hun lots of people think thy no best xxx

I think I'm going to try it for the day/night and see how I feel. I have her in my bed now for a nap and she isn't budging. Normally she's thrashing her arms and legs around everywhere and making a ton of noise.

I'm off to take a nap with her and see how I feel about it.

Good luck with whatever you choose and remember it's YOUR decision x

Good luck with whatever you choose and remember it's YOUR decision x

Ditto to wat toria said...

But I just wanted to add I work with a girl who co-slept... her kid is 4 and just will not sleep in her own bed... I dont know how her and her husband can handle that... Im not saying this happens to everryone.

Hope your nap helps you work out what you want to do hun...

Just to answer you question about blankets, Rhiannon had a sleeping-bag/gro-bag and i have my quilt/duvet

Not trying to influence you, or else ive got the worlds most easiest baby, but when i moved Rhiannon into her own cot a month ago she slept right through from the first night, ive had no probs in switching her..so there are some babies that can switch easier than others i guess XXX

Not trying to influence you, or else ive got the worlds most easiest baby, but when i moved Rhiannon into her own cot a month ago she slept right through from the first night, ive had no probs in switching her..so there are some babies that can switch easier than others i guess XXX

That is definatley true! My friend co-slept with her daughter, now wants to get her into her own bed and a routine and is having a really hard time doing it - she is nearly 1 1/2. I think she has been trying since before she was 1.

Just from my own experience, I have coslept with 2 of my 3 kids and it wasn't hard at allgetting them into their own bed. My pedi did say though it's best to do it either before 18mo or commit until age 3 because its really hard to do it between 18mo-3yrs. But I always did it before then so I really don't know, Casen was out at 11mo and Hayden at 12mo.

Also there are no statistics of a baby dying FROM cosleeping because that really just doesn't happen, when a baby dies of sids while cosleeping (which is rare) but alot of people assume thats why but usually there is some other reason..them not doing it safely (going to bed drinking, on meds, fluffy bedding), something was actually wrong with the baby, etc.

Just like with everything though there are 2 sides and you will be able to find info all over the place saying one is better, I personally think cosleeping is completely safe and better for the baby, and it also decreases the risk of SIDS over a baby in a crib, but everyone does what they feel is right for their baby, I def don't think people that don't do it are wrong by any means, it's just right for our family

I just set up her big crib (I had a wooden cradle thing set up first that I was going to sleep her in). I think my problem with that was that she was just too big for the cradle and could squirm over to the sides. The crib is so much bigger and I don't see her squirming over to the sides till she can lift her head anyway. We're gonna try it tonight. It'll be nice to have my bed for myself for once in 6 weeks!

I re-arranged my room so that she's right next to me. My room looks like a freaking stage 5 hurricane hit the place but the crib is up :rofl: Looks like I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

Oh definately she would be too big for a cradle!!! No wonder she could get close enough to press her face in the bars! I was trying to imagine that in a big crib, Jasmine cant even make it over there herself yet.

I hope you and her both have a very good night sleep hun ! dont worry to much about the bumpers on the crib :) max still has them as he is a "cot travler" and will get into every inch of his crib lol

Jasmine has bumpers too.... they are notted on and tucked between the mattress and the bars.

Jasmine has bumpers too.... they are notted on and tucked between the mattress and the bars.

I wonder if I can weave his bumpers in and out of his crib bars ? humm might try it

I give her a little blanket and then I use my own. If it is really cold I put my blanket over her legs. I find she fusses less in the big bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->