Stripping membranes/sweep does it actually work??

luz

Reaction score
Today i went to the dr.'s and he said he'd strip my membranes if i wanted him to. I figured why not, i'm 38 weeks and ready to get this labor party started! So he did it (ouch!) more painful than a cervix check, but i survived!

Anyway, my question is, does a sweep or stripping membranes actually work? I've noticed lots more tightening of the belly the past few hours, and some painful cramp feelings in my back and lower belly too. I've been trying to stay really active and hoping that will help kick things into gear.

A coworker had hers done three times over the course of 3 weeks before she actually saw any change, i'm hoping i don't have 3 more weeks of pregnancy!

i had a sweep on saturday, didnt work, after 72 hours its considered failed. i go in friday for sweep #2. it really depends, i am 4 cm and 90% so my cervix is super favorable but nothing happened :(

It really only works if you're about ready to go into labor anyway. If its going to work, you should be going into labor within 48 hours of the sweep. :thumbup:

I had one today too. Nothing too majorly different from yesterday except a lot of loose stool. :shrug:

I think it depends on how ready the body is already. If it's getting close to being ready, it's more likely sweeping will work. If your body isn't ready, it probably won't do a whole lot.

He said i was 1 cm and my cervix was thinned out. Not sure what 'thinned out' means as far as %. The first time i was checked they told me 1 cm and 50% effaced. I doubt it will do anything, but I'm really hoping!

i had one done monday morning at 1cm dilated & 50% effaced. i lost my plug tonight and i've been having lots and lots of cramping on and off ! but still no labor :( i know how disappointing it is reading stuff like this because i've been through it the last 2 and half days lol . but everyone's different, it could happen very soon for you !

Ok so I just went to the bathroom and there was a streak of mucus that was dark brown and pinkish tinged. It was pretty small. Is this my show? And does that mean labor is soon or is it just similar to losing your plug and could happen weeks before actual labor?

i have had my show since saturday every time i wipe its either bright red/ brown mucus and still no labor for me everyone is different, with my first pregnancy i had my show and 6 hours later my water broke. this time around.....nothing.

i have had my show since saturday every time i wipe its either bright red/ brown mucus and still no labor for me everyone is different, with my first pregnancy i had my show and 6 hours later my water broke. this time around.....nothing.

I hate that it seems like there is no sure thing in pregnancy. Everyone and every pregnancy is different:growlmad:

I just saw we have the same due date, I agree- lets get these babies out!!!

yes i know!!!!! ugh i have tried everything but nothings working.

This weekend I plan on scrubbing the grout in my kitchen tile. Not that it will do anything, but I can always dream!

yeah i have been stuck at 4 cm dilated and 90% effaced for the past 7 weeks. i think i will be pregnant forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->