stuck with weaning

Nataliieexo

Reaction score
I was advised to wean my son early due to reflux but was never told alot about it. I know what to do, give him etc.

I started with a little bit of porridge for supper, then breakfast, now we are slowly introducing lunch but i dont know how im suppost to introduce tea as he loves his porridge before bed and it helps him sleep better.

On a typical day he will have a bottle at 7am then porridge, bottle at 11 and pureed fruit, bottle at 3pm, porridge at 5.45 and his bedtime bottle at 6.45 i couldnt even fit tea in really. Plus they are only suppost tl have 3 meals a day arent they?

the first thing i gave my little boy when early weaned was fruit, i never pureed, i mushed, that was it was lumpy not smooth. i then moved onto rusks, then whatever we are eating, and on lazy days when we are having crap food, i got him some of the powdered baby foods. i think Malakai was the same age as your LO when i weaned too.
i did only give one meal a day at first, around lunch time, then i slowly moved to 2, then 3. i dont give him 3 meals every day, but i do try to give him at least 1.

on days he does have 3 meals it kinda goes something like

up at 8.30 (hes so lazy) dress and bottle (sometimes vice versa)
10am breakfast (usually powdered)
1pm lunch
bottle
5pm dinner
7pm bedtime bottle

i havent added the times for his bottles in between meals as he has them on demand and there may be more bottles in between, but my little boy is 6 month old, imo your baby should be having one meal and more bottles but thats my opinion, i could be wrong, i personally would only give one or 2 meals as he shouldnt be eating solids anyway so why give 3 meals of solids, also my LB now sometimes refuses a bottle bcos he wants food, thne he will miss a bottle he should really be having..

im not telling you what you should do, im no professional but this is just what ive picked up from little bots of advice here and there..

ps do you give water with food?

I'm a bit confused. He has porridge at 5:45 - isn't that his tea? I've always used the terms tea/dinner/supper as meaning the same thing - the meal you have between lunch and going to bed.

Either way you don't have to introduce any set "meals" at your Los age. He was weaned to help reflux, as long as his reflux has settled with the amount of solids he's getting now then you don't need to change anything.

IMO now that he's getting close to the "recommended" weaning age, over the next few weeks you can start looking for the signs that he is ready to start practising self feeding and finger foods. Once he can sit unaided (or with a little support) without slumping, can confidently bring objects to his mouth and has lost his tongue thrust (which all happens around 6months) you could start playing with finger food. You've got till 9months or so before LO needs the food for calories, so he doesn't need a set amount.

I agree with pp that it seems like his milk is few and far between but if he's always been bottle fed than it might always have been like this and suit him just fine! - we don't know cos we aren't his Mum.

Re: "only three meals a day" - when my LO had established 3 meals a day she was still bf loads and then started snacks too. At 11 months it was
6:30am nurse
8:am breakfast
10am nurse (quick)
10:30 snack
1pm lunch
2:30pm nurse
4:00pm snack
5:30pm dinner/supper
6:45pm bedtime nurse

But you don't need to worry about any of this yet. If it aint broken don't fix it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->