Success with Hypnobirthing?

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
I am 21 weeks pregnant on Sunday and have been told I need to start preparing now.
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good CD as I can not afford a full course? I have been listening to a few on YouTube but they so far haven't been very good or only give you a taster.

Also, does the speed of labour affect the effectiveness of this technique. I labour fast (my son was 3hrs) and have been told to expect the same this time?

One more question sorry, is it better to have a CD and have it playing in the labour room or on a iPod so you can drown out all sound? All the CD's I have looked at require you to have the CD playing in labour xx

Hi hun,

I ordered the Hypnobirthing Book by Marie Mongan which comes with a CD too. I read the book once and listened to the CD quite a few times during my pregnancy. I didn't have it playing at all during my 4 hour labour and felt I coped just fine :)

Had a home water birth with no pain relief and a 9lb 13.5oz baby.

For me I think it was great :)

XxX:kiss:

I also read the Marie Mongan book and listened to the CD as I was falling asleep each night. I had a 24 hr labor with almost 3 hrs of pushing completely drug free, so I'd say it worked ;-). Oh and I just had my iPad playing new age music on Pandora during labor, that was most relaxing for me. Good luck - you can do it!

Thanks ladies, I shall look online to purchase it Marie Mongan book and CD as it has popped in on a few discussion websites.

I only had gas and air with my son but I didn't feel in control while using it so I'm hoping for 100% drug free labour x

If you have iTunes on your computer I think if you insert the CD it should take the file off and add it to your library, then you can upload it to your iPod. I'm doing a course with a tutor (also Mongan method) and have got the book and the tracks. I listen to them on my iPod and I will have it playing on my iPod dock during labour (hoping for a home birth) however you don't have to have it going the whole time. I suppose if you're in hospital you might want it on your iPod so you can drown out any external noise. My tutor also recommended getting a playlist together of other music I like that relaxes me - so it doesn't have to be music specifically aimed at meditation, just tracks that are calm so like Ministry of Sound chill out albums, or whatever you like.

I would definitely start reading the book now but don't stress about the rest of it just yet. I'm 31 weeks and although I do listen to the hypnobirthing tracks a lot (normally at night in bed) in a few weeks' time I'm going to start listening to them during the day and spending more time practising the breathing techniques and doing relaxation with DH.

I don't know that being someone who labours fast would necessarily stop you from using hypnobirthing - it's more about keeping yourself calm and relaxed and allowing your body and baby to get on with the business of birthing without you having to do too much work :) I'd say it's still worth doing because even if you did give birth within 3 hours of labour starting, you learn breathing techniques for each stage of labour, and the relaxation techniques help to keep you calm and relaxed.

Thank you smiler82 :flower:
I ended up buying this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natal-Hypnotherapy-Programme-Hospital-Centre/dp/1905220537 and so far I have regretted my decision. I must be very irritable but I just find the voice annoying lol and the CD jumps.

I think I will just find them on iTunes and download one that way.

X

Oh no! Can you get a refund? This is only a tenner and is the Mongan method plus CD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hypnobirth...71471440&sr=1-2&keywords=hypnobirthing+mongan

Oh no! Can you get a refund? This is only a tenner and is the Mongan method plus CD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hypnobirth...71471440&sr=1-2&keywords=hypnobirthing+mongan

I contacted the seller and they havent got back to me yet.
I will be purchasing the one you have recommended tonight xx

Personally, I'd say stick with the natal hypnotherapy. That's what I used and it was fantastic! I had a home birth with no need for pain relief, hardly any pain and I was so relaxed and felt in control the whole time. You can read my birth story below if you want to see how it works.

It's not about whether you enjoy it so much while you practice, it's about what it does for you. I found the Mongan method ones to be annoying personally. She has a horribly grating American accent (and I'm American so that's saying something!!). Natal hypnotherapy really works if you put in the time to practice. You don't need to take a class, just read the book (the book is actually one of the best books about natural birth I've ever read) and practice, practice, practice. You don't need to play the CD during birth with NH (actually you aren't supposed to) though there is a relaxing music cd to trigger you to relax and prompt your body to cope well with the pain that you can play. I used it for the first few hours of my birth, but then I was walking around the house too much while I was pushing so it got turned off. You can use the music cd if you want, but it still works either way as long as you've practiced. And no the speed of labour won't make any difference. It works if you put the time in.

Personally, I'd say stick with the natal hypnotherapy. That's what I used and it was fantastic! I had a home birth with no need for pain relief, hardly any pain and I was so relaxed and felt in control the whole time. You can read my birth story below if you want to see how it works.

It's not about whether you enjoy it so much while you practice, it's about what it does for you. I found the Mongan method ones to be annoying personally. She has a horribly grating American accent (and I'm American so that's saying something!!). Natal hypnotherapy really works if you put in the time to practice. You don't need to take a class, just read the book (the book is actually one of the best books about natural birth I've ever read) and practice, practice, practice. You don't need to play the CD during birth with NH (actually you aren't supposed to) though there is a relaxing music cd to trigger you to relax and prompt your body to cope well with the pain that you can play. I used it for the first few hours of my birth, but then I was walking around the house too much while I was pushing so it got turned off. You can use the music cd if you want, but it still works either way as long as you've practiced. And no the speed of labour won't make any difference. It works if you put the time in.

I remember reading your story earlier in the year and your story was one of the reasons I wanted to try hypnotherapy. I can't use my current cd as I said, it jumps a lot but I will look into buying a new one if I can get it cheap enough as I can't afford another £40 x

If it jumps then you should be entitled to a refund, surely? FWIW I don't find the voice annoying on my tracks :) I guess it's just personal preference. I find I'm in such deep relaxation within 5 mins of starting to listen anyway :)

If it jumps then you should be entitled to a refund, surely? FWIW I don't find the voice annoying on my tracks :) I guess it's just personal preference. I find I'm in such deep relaxation within 5 mins of starting to listen anyway :)

The seller still isn't getting back in touch... I have requested a refund 4 times now :( (it will be my first and last time using amazon!)

I tried youtube to be sneaky and download a tester of the Mongan method for free and found nothing. Back to looking online.
I am gutted that there are no classes anywhere near me! x

The album is called Rainbow Relaxations - I just googled it and you can hear it on this website to see what you think:

https://archive.org/details/HypnoBirthing

For some reason they have 3 tracks, but the first 2 listed are exactly the same. I just have 2 tracks. You listen to the birthing affirmations to help you deal with any fears about childbirth, and you listen to the relaxation track to help you learn to relax, and if you do it regularly you're able to get into a deep state of relaxation quickly.

The album is called Rainbow Relaxations - I just googled it and you can hear it on this website to see what you think:

https://archive.org/details/HypnoBirthing

For some reason they have 3 tracks, but the first 2 listed are exactly the same. I just have 2 tracks. You listen to the birthing affirmations to help you deal with any fears about childbirth, and you listen to the relaxation track to help you learn to relax, and if you do it regularly you're able to get into a deep state of relaxation quickly.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it:D
I will listen when I get in from work xx

I remember reading your story earlier in the year and your story was one of the reasons I wanted to try hypnotherapy. I can't use my current cd as I said, it jumps a lot but I will look into buying a new one if I can get it cheap enough as I can't afford another £40 x

That's so great to hear! Glad it was inspiring to you. I'd definitely get a new CD. Btw, it sounds like maybe you bought the whole set, but you don't really need them. You just need the birth prep CD (and relaxing music CD if you want it). They're only about 12.50 each and you can by them individually direct from the NH website. Sounds like you got a dodgy used copy. Just get the birth prep one and give it a go. You can always sell it on if you don't like it.

That's so great to hear! Glad it was inspiring to you. I'd definitely get a new CD. Btw, it sounds like maybe you bought the whole set, but you don't really need them. You just need the birth prep CD (and relaxing music CD if you want it). They're only about 12.50 each and you can by them individually direct from the NH website. Sounds like you got a dodgy used copy. Just get the birth prep one and give it a go. You can always sell it on if you don't like it.

I never thought about selling it once I used it. That's a great Idea.
I got a response from the seller saying they do not accept returns as it may have been 'damaged on transit' Luckily I paid via paypal so I have contacted paypal instead.

Would you say this is right for the natal Natal Hypnotherapy

And is this one right for the Mongan Mongan Method

for the price of both, I don't buying the pair and giving both a go to see which I prefer then I will just resell the other xx

That's such a cop-out on behalf of the seller! They should be packing their items properly. Can you leave feedback??

Looks like the right one for the Mongan method. I looked up the £40 pack on Amazon and seems you get a lot more as it covers pregnancy, birth and postnatal recovery. The Mongan one is a lot cheaper because it is literally 2 tracks, along with the book.

I also used Marie Mongan's book plus the CD. Listened to it from about 20 weeks onward and read through the book while in the bath. I had a 56 hour unmedicated homebirth and it was FANTASTIC! I don't think I could have coped without the Hypnobirthing, but my birth ended up being essentially pain free. Your state of mind really affects how you experience pain, and I really think the book helped me go into labour calmly and get into a good state of mind.:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->