Successful clomid IUI with very low ovarian reserve

LoveInshallah

Reaction score
Hi. Lurking (for the most part) on these forums helped me get through some long months, and while we are still in the first trimester I want to share some hope for women with that grim, crappy DOR diagnosis.

I'm 36. Started getting shorter and lighter periods and other signs of perimenopause around age 33-34, though never considered it because it doesn't run in my family at all. When I was 35, we discovered I had an fsh on the edge of the normal range, around 7.8, but amh of .76. Also some other issues, including severe male factor, eventually treated with varying success by a varicocelectomy, a long and narrow cervix, and mild hypothyroidism, diagnosed but not treated until recently. This year we ran all the labs again and fsh was 10.7, amh .65. Vitamin D deficiency (had tested for this a year earlier and was NOT deficient, so I don't think it explains the amh). AFC around 14. Thin lining of 6-7mm at O time.

We tried 3 IUIs with 100mg Clomid and a trigger shot. The first two had that bum lining and so-so semen samples. Two follicles the first time, 2 or 3 the second but one huge and the other(s) barely mature, and no tiny ones. During the second cycle I started generic Synthroid. The third cycle we switched from Clomid on days 5-9 to 3-7. I used a heating pad on my stomach and feet, and drank pomegranate juice and red raspberry leaf tea everyday in the follicular phase to improve my lining. That third cycle I started with 5 follicles, 2 were mature by trigger, and a lining of 11mm! No triple stripe pattern. The semen sample was the best it had been, in normal parameters. Bfp. (And then a blighted ovum scare I posted about in the miscarriage forums, thank God misdiagnosed.) I am currently in my 7th week and we heard the heartbeat a few days ago. We are just praying this baby sticks and keeps growing and developing normally.

It's early to post a success story but I know how much reading other women's stories helped me cope. DOR is a devastating diagnosis. Multiple doctors told us we'd never conceive on our own. We were given bad odds even with 3-4 IVFs and didn't even qualify for most IVF programs near me because our numbers were so bad. We only did IUI because of an insurance issue. I never, ever thought it would actually work for us.

Besides what I described above, I had taken prenatals, vit D (1000 iu before the deficiency, 5000 iu after), coq10, green tea, and b12 (because of a borderline number). My husband took FertilAid and our successful iui was 10 months post surgery. I tried drinking whole milk and eating meat and really anything else I read online, anywhere, had a chance of helping us. :winkwink:

I pray that everyone having difficulty conceiving and being told by their RE's that their prognoses are grim, will have miracle success stories. :flower:

LoveInshallah, your story is very inspiring! thanks for sharing. can I ask you about mild hypothyroidism. My TSH is 3.78 but my endocrinologist thinks it's OK and does not think we need to treat it. I wonder if it may affect my fertility? Although we have been TTC for 4 years and my TSH was between 1-2.5 most of this time, it's only recently that it went above 3. I can see that you got far more follicles after you were put on Synthroid. Wonder if that played the crucial role?

My FSh is much higher than yours but I am doing acu/herbs and so hoping it will help get it down. We also have male factor which is our prime issue. My high FSH is a problem cos we need IVF for sperm but IVF does not seem to work for high FSH – vicious circle. we have never tried IUI though but we did natural/modified IVF twice but both failed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->