Superstition?

victorial8

Mummy to Freya
Reaction score
i know that there is a superstition to do with not having the buggy in the house before you have the baby which we followed with our first.
We are using the same one for this baby so it’s in the loft. We are ideally needing to get it down to clean and air out after being in the loft for a while but I’m wondering about the superstition? What would you all do? Xx

I’d do it but I’m not a superstitious person. And that’s not a thing here in the US. My shower was at 27w and I had his nursery assembled and ready to go two and a half months before he was due. I believe people’s time on this planet is predestined and what will be will be, and nothing I personally do is going to affect it.

However, if this is something you truly do not want to go against. I know the world is a bit upside down with covid, but do you have local family or friends that could come and wash it for you when you go into labor? Or could you simply wash and air it once you get home? Are you truly planning to use it right away that it must be ready to go that moment you being baby home vs wait a couple days? I feel like here in the states I was told that my nb shouldn’t even be out of the house for like a week. He was jaundiced so I was told to just sit with him by a window lol ((I’m assuming a buggy is a stroller not a car seat so if it’s a car seat my bad))

Congrats! Hopefully you can find a solution that works for you <3

I’d do it but I’m not a superstitious person. And that’s not a thing here in the US. My shower was at 27w and I had his nursery assembled and ready to go two and a half months before he was due. I believe people’s time on this planet is predestined and what will be will be, and nothing I personally do is going to affect it.

However, if this is something you truly do not want to go against. I know the world is a bit upside down with covid, but do you have local family or friends that could come and wash it for you when you go into labor? Or could you simply wash and air it once you get home? Are you truly planning to use it right away that it must be ready to go that moment you being baby home vs wait a couple days? I feel like here in the states I was told that my nb shouldn’t even be out of the house for like a week. He was jaundiced so I was told to just sit with him by a window lol ((I’m assuming a buggy is a stroller not a car seat so if it’s a car seat my bad))

Congrats! Hopefully you can find a solution that works for you <3

Thank you!! Yes, a buggy is a stroller. You make some good points, it probably won’t get used for a good few days etc after we get home, I think I’m just getting myself ahead a little answer I will still have to walk my daughter to and from school so will need it for then but my DH will be home for the first week or 2 anyway.

Definitely say wait to bring it down and wash it. Could you get a cheap or hand me down baby sling to use until the buggy is ready to go? If I lived near you, I’d totally give you mine.

I’ve never heard of that superstition, we had ours in the house put together for a few weeks. Do you have a hose? Could you wash it outside and keep it in a shed or garage, maybe a neighbors house or the car?

I’m in the uk and have heard of that superstition. My sister followed it religiously, but I didn’t. We also had the buggy still going for numbers 2 and 3 so it was in use and in and out of the house.

practically speaking, i would say just get it down and get it sorted, and if you really don’t want it in the house maybe ask a relative to keep hold of it. You aren’t going to want to bother sorting it after labour. You don’t know what’s going to happen, and it’ll take one more thing off a to do list after baby is born.

I've heard of that superstition. We decided to keep it in the house anyway as we are not superstitious and all was OK. Just do what you're comfortable with :)

I know this post is a little old now BUT ive had this bubs pram in the house since I was about 5 weeks haha.. I totally understand the superstition though, my mum and gran MIL are freaking out that its here already etc ..
But i just explain that, that particular superstition was ‘created’ back in the days when infant mortality rates were through the roof & the only reason they didnt have prams in the house was because it was the most expensive thing parents buy for their new bub & unfortunately if they found that their little didnt make it then it was usually the hardest thing to return/part with etc back in the day .. atleast thats my take on it BUT Im not superstitious to that degree .. but I wont ignore a magpie or walk on 3 drains ... ‘just incase’ hehe!!
Sorry for the long one just wanted to throw my two pence worth in hehe!!
Set everything up as you see fit chick! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->