Sure Start Maternity Grant

Reaction score
Hi, this is probably one of those questions that is asked all the time but I couldn't find exactly what I wanted when I did a search.
I know this is paid to people on income support etc, but what about working couples? The Child tax credit thing has confused me, who gets child tax credit at a rate higher than the family element? Is this based on income?
Me and my partner will be bringing home about £18k between us when I am on SMP, is this too much to get anything?

Just wondering, obviously I dont want to miss out on something I am entitled to! £500 would be very handy to be honest... Does anyone know anything about this?

i thought it was for people on benefits, but not completly sure. ur local job center should be able to help xx

It is just for people claiming income support, or JSA

Im not on benefits and im entitled to it.

My partner wrks i dont, he recieves bout £500 a yr wtc and i recieve more than this in ctc so i qualify.

Basically in a nutshell the ctc u recieve has to be higher than the family element.

HTH.

V X X X

You can get it if you get Tax Credits at the higher rate, or if you have a disability premium on your tax credits. Not sure what the higher rate is, so if this is your 1st I would apply for the grant after your baby is born. You can apply 11 weeks before your baby is due and up to 3 months after he/she isborn. Try to wait till Tax Credits is in pay, but if your baby is 2 months old, apply then as it will be refused and you can then ask for a reconsideration. If you leave it until after 3 months, it will automatically be refused and unlikely to be changed.
Hope that make sense.

There's an online calculator for tax credits from the HMRC site. I did one and found that we would get about £1000pa for our current combined salary of £35k. I think up until about £50k you will qualify for some child tax credit. The calculator is a guide and I couldn't work out what we will get while I am on SMP but I assume more than £1k.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read your post properly, not sure about the grant elligibility.

They told me that you had to be under 15k a year. Messed me about with the milk tokens which have the same riules saying i earned to much and i was just on income support. Stll it was sorted though. I have to apply for mine next week. But far as i know its a combined income of £15k in a household and no more. Google it there is a site with all that info on it,

That's not correct as I've never had either yet I was entitled to it with 2 of my kids

Here's a link for all who need to check it out

https://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/sb16/ssmg.asp#whossmg

In the pack it says u need to be on income support to get it..not jobseekers or anything. But you need to ask for it it doesnt get offered

If you are in receipt of any benefits you can claim, and tax credit is a benefit. You get child tax credit up to earning approx 45k p.a I think - or somewhere close to that figure.

If you are in receipt of any benefits you can claim, and tax credit is a benefit. You get child tax credit up to earning approx 45k p.a I think - or somewhere close to that figure.

Don't mean to argue but nope....Tax credit is not a benefit:dohh:

This is a quote from the link I put above, go and have a look on there if you're not sure if you're eligible.

Who can get Sure Start Maternity Grants?

You are eligible for a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner are getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance (income-related), Pension Credit, Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award or Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element. [Legislation (2)] and one of the following applies:
You or your partner:

are pregnant and expecting a baby within 11 weeks,
have had a baby in the past 3 months,
have a dependent child or dependent young person who is pregnant and expecting a baby within 11 weeks or who has had a baby in the past 3 months,
have adopted a baby who is under 12 months old,
have, in certain circumstances, been granted a residence order by the courts in respect of a baby who is under 12 months old, or
have been granted a parental order by the courts in respect of a surrogate birth.

i got the grant...
my husband works and our child tax credit is higher than the family element.

what it means is when you get your award the child tax award has to be higher than the family part award (you will see it when you get the award). You don't have to be on income support to get it or any other type of benefit to get the grant. Just receiving child tax credit.

good luck

Christine
X

Thanks everyone. I didnt think I would get it but it was worth asking. I think I will just wait and see what CTC I get after birth. You've all been very informative, and those links were great!

job seekers allowance turns into income support 11 weeks before baby is due and if you get income support u can get sure start grant. hence you cant get grant until 11 weeks before due date.

Its income based i believe!

xx

That's not correct as I've never had either yet I was entitled to it with 2 of my kids

Here's a link for all who need to check it out

https://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/sb16/ssmg.asp#whossmg[/QUOTE

That is just what I got from the back of the NHS book in my bounty pack from the midwife, it says Sure start grant, and has a tick to say you get it if, on Income support, JSA, but a cross by low income and all mothers, but having just re read, the small print, you can also claim if get pension credit, WTC if there is an element of disability in it, or Child tax credits at the higher rate than family element

Sorry, maybe Child Tax Credit isn't classed as a benefit, but you still qualify for the maternity grant if you're receiving CTC at a rate higher than the family element which is £548 per year or £1095 in the babies first year.

Didn't mean to cause confusion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->