Sushi while pregnant Help!

Maries_s

Reaction score
I went for a cooked sushi today but after eating all the sushi I read the label again I found out that it had raw fish. It was a crunchy shrimp roll. Should I be worried? The letter where so tiny that I couldn't see it :(

I wonder if it's a generic label they put on all sushi. I've read a California roll is okay in pregnancy. Shrimp cooked is fine so I'd say it is more than likely fine.

It's more than likely fine, cooked rolls are safe and as previous poster said it could have been a generic label. Was it like a "may contain raw fish"?

Either way, I think the point of not eating raw sushi is for the prevention of bacteria - as long as it was a trusted sushi place I'm sure you'll be fine.

It's fairly rare for a roll to contain both cooked and raw fish, isn't it? (That's just my impression, maybe I'm wrong! It usually seems to be one or the other.) Even if you did consume a tiny amount of raw fish, chances are very high that it won't harm you. You probably don't want to be eating sashimi every day, but once is statistically unlikely to cause any damage. In plenty of cultures raw fish is more common than in the U.S. and I don't think it has a negative affect on pregnancy.

It's only a concern because of bacteria/Listeria so eating raw fish (if you did) doesn't automatically guarantee anything sinister. Just be on the look out for any symptoms of Listeria and get to the Dr straight away if you have any.

I think you'll be fine.

Given the fact that you can't go back and undo it, try to relax and remember that many people break all of the "safety rules" throughout pregnancy and go on to deliver perfectly healthy babies. How many of our moms drank alcohol during pregnancy??? And I have had my fair share of blue cheese and Italian subs during my pregnancies (from places I trust, which my dr is okay with).

Hi everyone!
Thanks you for your response. The label said contain raw fish so I'm guessing that the shrimp was uncooked. However, the sushi was from a reputable place and I feel fine. I hope my baby will be fine.

If it's tempura shrimp roll then the shrimp is cooked enough in the process. And like everyone said it's really a bacteria thing and honestly with the high food safety standards you are fine so long as it is a reputable source. I like Ovia's pregnancy app for its food safety lookup. Tempura roll won't pop up but shrimp pops up in various forms (popcorn, fried...) and the only one that isn't safe is raw. But deep fried tempura is not raw :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->