Swaddling advice Please ???????

G

GreatfulMummy

I have considered swaddling baby #3. I have never done this before, and am a little wary, with regards to overheating, and safety of baby.

I would like to know your experiances, and/or opinions please.

Aslo how long would you swaddle for?

Many thanks.

Didn't want to read and run but I've been thinking about swaddling too..

You can use lighter blankets for swaddling if you are concerned about overheating. Often times this helps to sooth baby cause they are used to being in tight spaces. And baby will let you know when doesn't need or want swaddling anymore cause they will fight themselves out of it.

I swaddle my 3m old with no problems. I have found (with her being #4, 3 not swaddled) that it really helps calm and soothe her, also she was a 32 weeker so it helps dull the exagerrated startle reflex. also it really did make a difference in helping her sleep better:thumbup:

Ye my LO fights the swaddle when shes wide awake:haha: there is special thinner blankets you can get, ours are a cow print lol but cant remember the name:dohh:

Thank you ladies. I am due in ictober, so will be quite cold anyway.

Ye my LO fights the swaddle when shes wide awake:haha: there is special thinner blankets you can get, ours are a cow print lol but cant remember the name:dohh:

They are called recieving blankets

I did it and found it settles baby. Also when swaddled I didn't need to cuddle to sleep so they learnt To put themselves to sleep really early

I didnt with my first but did with my second and plan to with the one on the way. I agree with the lighter weight blankets.It is really only useful when they are sleeping or trying to sleep (especially after they start moving around more). You can tell when he/she is uncomfortable by their movements while sleeping if they are too hot, or cold etc.

I swaddled my son. It was a lifesaver, and I will definitely be swaddling this baby as well!

With regards to overheating... I always put him to bed in just a thin onesie or even just his diaper, and swaddled him with a receiving blanket (not very thick). If I felt that wasn't going to be warm enough, I would drape a warmer blanket over him, from his lower chest down, well away from his face. He only got a heat rash once, and that was in the early days when I swaddled him with too thick of a blanket. Also, the receiving blankets work nicely, because they're not too stretchy so they stay snug.

I swaddled DS for about 4 months... basically until he was breaking out of it on his own. My sister swaddled her daughter for six months... they'd literally tape the swaddle shut so that she couldn't get out. That seemed a bit extreme to me... but it really does help them sleep better!

If you're really not sure about it, look into the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block" ... Kent Harvey is the author, I think. Its amazing... gives you all the reasons to swaddle and then tells you how to do it properly. It takes some practice, but I am very excited to be able to wrap up another baby all nice and snug!

I did it and found it settles baby. Also when swaddled I didn't need to cuddle to sleep so they learnt To put themselves to sleep really early

That definately sounds like a bonus. I quite like the idea of the swaddle blankets that have like a pocket at the bottom to put there feet in, and then wings on either side that fold in). My last ds I couldn't put down, as he would scream, and with two boys and baby #3 I wouldn't have the time to be settling them all the time.

I swaddled DS2 and will this lo aswell. I found it great he was so settled and slept great when all wrapped up and he was also a winter baby so was nice and cosy.
DS1 was never swaddled and never slept as well as DS2 did, not sure if the swaddling made a difference or not but i think it did. DS2 started sleeping through the night from 6wks whereas DS1 was prob nearer 1yr old lol!!!

That definately sounds like a bonus. I quite like the idea of the swaddle blankets that have like a pocket at the bottom to put there feet in, and then wings on either side that fold in). My last ds I couldn't put down, as he would scream, and with two boys and baby #3 I wouldn't have the time to be settling them all the time.

Honestly... those special swaddling blankets that you can find at the store don't look like they're tight enough to me. It may just be personal preference, and I honestly never tried them out (figured it to be a waste of money)... but I really liked using the larger receiving blankets. Once you're done swaddling with them, they work good as spit rags or even just a clean thing to lay on the floor for a quick diaper change if you're not at home.

I bought a special blanket for swaddling which made it super easy and was light weight and she used it for all of 2 weeks...unfortunately my daughter hated it lol she likes to sleep like a starfish and always has. I always put her in think jams and only the blanket when I did it though as I always freaked about her being too warm

I swaddled LO for 3 months and I will swaddle this one too!
It was great - especially since he was a bit early (just before 36 weeks) and would settle much better curled up in his sling or swaddled. xx

i did too and tbh i thought everyone did :haha: my mum showed me how to do it and i just thought it was the thing to do with new babies anyway my son slept thru from 6-7weeks aswell dont no if it has anything to do with it tho he was always content when swaddled xx

Thank you so much ladies :thumbup: I think I might give it a go. If baby doesn't like it, then I work with them. :hugs:

I've been thinking about swaddling and think we'll give it a try, I can understand how it would be comforting for them when they're very small. I've also been unsure about what blankets to us so this thread has been really useful.

I've also seen these which look easier than wrapping a blanket around a (possibly screaming and wriggling) baby: https://www.thewoombie.com/the_original_woombie.html

I've been thinking about swaddling and think we'll give it a try, I can understand how it would be comforting for them when they're very small. I've also been unsure about what blankets to us so this thread has been really useful.

I've also seen these which look easier than wrapping a blanket around a (possibly screaming and wriggling) baby: https://www.thewoombie.com/the_original_woombie.html

I have been looking at those also, and think they look really good. I was toying between swaddling, and a grobag, but think this maybe a bit of both, and look good. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->