Swallowing Air or Milk Protein Allergy?

Craftgrl

Reaction score
Hi everyone, DD is almost 2 months. We're having a hell of a time right now trying to figure out whether she has a milk protein allergy or swallowing too much air while eating or both.

For reasons beyond my control I was unable to breast feed and she is strictly formula fed. We started off on Enfamil A+ and was doing ok but as of the last couple weeks she sounds mucusy in her lungs after eating has explosive poops that are super smelly and vary in cosistency and tremendous amounts of gas.

When she eats I hear her swallowing a lot of air. So I bought some Playtex Ventaire bottles to see if that would help the problem. No success I still hear her swallowing air. Needless to say I have a very uncomfortable girl on my hands :( she does not nap during the day she may doze off for an hour 2 times a day but for the most part she's up. Sleeps for 5 hour stretch at night before feeding.

Also at 2 months she's gained 3 pounds and the nurse told me she is considered lower end of weight gain and that in the first three months they would like you to gain 1/2 of a pound a week. She eats 4oz every 2 hours (8-9 feedings a day) I almost feel like I'm doing something wrong here and I just want to help the poor little thing get out of her discomfort and strive.

I'm wondering if anyone had any info on how to determine whether allergy is a problem or just simply the gas. I was just referred to a pediatrician but in the meantime of waiting I want to do all the research I can. thanks to anyone that can help shed some light on this for me.

Our LO has a milk allergy and she had the following symptoms: explosive bloody mucous diarrhoea during every feed, she would only take 2 oz then pretty much refuse the rest of the bottle, she would be very unsettled following her feeds and would be crying in pain and arching her back, she had a rash over her face and back.

It's so tough as I don't think enough drs take milk allergies seriously therefore just brushing you off as a worried parent. It took us 3 times to go to drs and they finally sent a stool sample after she'd been having the diarrhoea for pretty much 4 weeks.

We tried a lot of things before hand, changed milk twice, used infacol, gripe water and I'd just had enough so took pics of her nappies to show the dr and he finally agreed to change her milk. She has been in it for two weeks and seems better, she has just started drinking 4 oz every 4 hours where as before it was only 2oz.

I think unless they aren't gaining weight they don't see it as a problem but it's ok for them as they don't have to put up with it. Our LO was on the 75th centile and dropped to 50th but hopefully now she is feeding more it will get better. She was born 9lb 1 and is now 11lb 15

Forgot to say our LO is 11 weeks old now.

Our LO has a milk allergy and she had the following symptoms: explosive bloody mucous diarrhoea during every feed, she would only take 2 oz then pretty much refuse the rest of the bottle, she would be very unsettled following her feeds and would be crying in pain and arching her back, she had a rash over her face and back.

It's so tough as I don't think enough drs take milk allergies seriously therefore just brushing you off as a worried parent. It took us 3 times to go to drs and they finally sent a stool sample after she'd been having the diarrhoea for pretty much 4 weeks.

We tried a lot of things before hand, changed milk twice, used infacol, gripe water and I'd just had enough so took pics of her nappies to show the dr and he finally agreed to change her milk. She has been in it for two weeks and seems better, she has just started drinking 4 oz every 4 hours where as before it was only 2oz.

I think unless they aren't gaining weight they don't see it as a problem but it's ok for them as they don't have to put up with it. Our LO was on the 75th centile and dropped to 50th but hopefully now she is feeding more it will get better. She was born 9lb 1 and is now 11lb 15

Forgot to say our LO is 11 weeks old now.

I've just had my 5 month old diagnosed with a possible milk allergy and I've been told to try soya milk . Do you mind me asking what milk you have put your LO on?

No, not at all we were prescribed nutramigen lipil, I'm sure I read somewhere that soya before 6 months isn't recommended?

No, not at all we were prescribed nutramigen lipil, I'm sure I read somewhere that soya before 6 months isn't recommended?

I've had a nightmare trying to get a diagnosis and all I've been told is to try soya milk . I did read that also about needing to be 6 months but the dr didnt seem concerned. I've read so much negative stuff about the soya milk I'm taking her off it and seeing as it feels like none of the drs can help I'm going to have to pay to see a paedetrician privately now as its got too bad :(

I've been doing a lot of research on this topic apparently if your child has a milk protein allergy they will most likely react to the soy too. Soy is used when there is a lactose intolerance which is different than the milk protein allergy. Once the child is diagnosed with a milk protein allergy they are usually given either Enfamil nutramigen or similac allimentum. Now that's just my research and I'm by no means a doctor but that's what I gather from what I've read.

I've had a nightmare trying to get a diagnosis and all I've been told is to try soya milk . I did read that also about needing to be 6 months but the dr didnt seem concerned. I've read so much negative stuff about the soya milk I'm taking her off it and seeing as it feels like none of the drs can help I'm going to have to pay to see a paedetrician privately now as its got too bad :(

It's really unacceptable that you should go private! Can you ask your doc to refer you or see a different one? It really angers me knowing other mums have to put up a fight to get listened to. It's not like you need the extra stress during your pregnancy! Just out of curiosity what are your plans for weaning?

It's also a joke having to do our own research to diagnose our LO's isn't this why doctors spend so many years studying and get paid very very well.

I saw 3 different drs until the last one listened.

Hi all, my little fella has had bad feeding problems since birth as well. I was bf first and he seemed fussy so thought he is not getting enough, so did both bf and ff. I used to hear the wind lurching in his stomach from day one. It was so loud i would nearly cringe thinking how uncomfortable it was for him. Anyway eventually got him on the nutramigen lipil and he seemed to improve a good bit but he went from drinking 5 oz to 2.5 the first week of been on it. We put it down to a sore throat but after 3 weeks of him on reduced feeds and screaming anytime the bottle went near his mouth and not gaining any weight i copped it was the taste of the formula so changed to aptamil pepti and he is doing great since. Just something to watch for if you are using the nutramigen. I read up on it and it can be common that babies refuse it because of the taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->