Sweeps

Kirstin

Reaction score
2 days overdue and have a mw appointment, will they give me a sweep?

I think it depends where you are in the country and what the policies are. Mine won't consider even discussing a sweep until 41 weeks at the earliest.

Does it say anything about it in your notes? Mine has a week-by-week breakdown of what happens or is offered when :)

She said last time at my next appt she would arrange a sweep, not sure if she meant there and then or would plan for one at another appointment but didn't ask as she seemed so sure I wouldn't be overdue :(

Hmmm, she could've been a bit more specific. How come she was sure you wouldn't go over?

He was fully engaged and I had been having mild pains so she thought he was preparing and would be here within the week, now all the pains have stopped, really dont want a sweep though :(

When was your last app? Pre-labour can last weeks before the actual event and she should've known that!

If you don't want a sweep hun you don't have a sweep. It's that simple and you've every right to refuse.

i reckon she will say do you want one.

mine hurt, but saying that im asking for a second one tomorrow. Its not the nicest, but it lasts a couple of mins and then its over and you dont have pain after. unless u go into labour! if your fully engaged and if she says your cervix is favourable id take one, will prob work. x

My last appointment was about 10ish days ago. I'm squeamish at everything and fainted at an internal scan so I'm not surprised the baby decides to go overdue :rofl:

My last appointment was about 10ish days ago. I'm squeamish at everything and fainted at an internal scan so I'm not surprised the baby decides to go overdue :rofl:

:laugh2: 10 days is no time to have a few pains and be engaged. Is there any reason you should be concerned about being over by a couple of days? Any medical issues?

I dont think so I have no health issues and have had no problems in the pregnancy.

Would just prefer to have been told whether or not I would be having a sweep so I could prepare myself mentally to not faint :lol:

I dont think so I have no health issues and have had no problems in the pregnancy.

Would just prefer to have been told whether or not I would be having a sweep so I could prepare myself mentally to not faint :lol:

You know they're not compulsory don't you? :)

If she said 10 days ago will organise one at next appt, it prob means she will ask you if you want one. Just have a think about it, if your bodys ready it could work and youd have your LO soon.. but if youd rather wait thats fine too. She will prob reccommend one at your next appt tho.. the one after 2m.. A sweep is a better way to try move things on than a induction. (and its not as bad as an internal scan, thats a massive big probe :rofl: she just uses 2 fingers!)

Yea thats what I am trying to tell myself, less chance of an induction if I have a sweep and they seem far worse, I'm just scared of everything so god knows how I will cope in labour :rofl:

I phoned my birth centre yesterday and they don't do sweeps until you are about 4 or 5 days overdue. They also said they will induce me at 10 days over, hoping the baby arrives before then

I had a sweepat 40 weeks... but my baby was well over the 8lb mark and I was having issues dealing with being late.
It blooming hurt too :( had to have flipping gas and air just to have a sweep.

Just ask, I had one last week at 39 weeks because I asked.

I've got an appointment booked for 40+3 to discuss a sweep, not to have one as I first thought.
Here, they won't do one until 41 weeks.

I think my MW said about a sweep today, but I am going to ask her anyway. I don't know any reason why she wouldnt as I am only a day off 41 weeks. Fingers crossed!

Have one booked for 41+1, gives him time to come on his own :lol:

I was due on 29th June, I went for an appointment on 2nd July and the MW gave me a sweep. It might depend on your hospital though. And to add... I had Grace after I had my sweep :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->