'Sweet' foods

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
Hi girls - I just wanted to clarify something in my head.

I've read in a couple of places that you should start off with 'savoury' flavours and gradually introduce the sweet things (like fruit, yoghurts, biscuits) so that LO doesn't develop a preference for them over veggies and savouries.

Is this true? I see so many people saying that they give banana and yoghurts and fruity porridge that I'm now confused lol.

What have you all done and have you had any problems?

Obviously we're a little way off yet but I need to get this straight in my head lol.

I never worried about doing that - Ruby has had 'sweet' flavours such as fruit, and 100% fruit spread on toast, from the start. But I never gave yoghurt apart from plain yoghurt, and have never given biscuits. Ruby doesn't seem to prefer sweet to savoury, although on some days she will eat loads of fruit and not a lot else, but that's fine IMO.

IMO it's fine to give things that are naturally sweet but I rarely if ever give anything with added sugar in it.

I think one of the suggestions when starting on solids, esp purees, is to start with sweeter veg like sweet potatoes and carrots etc because babies seem to prefer it. Like Claire, I didn't worry about it at all in the early days. My LO doesn't have a sweet preference I don't think. Like Claire, I'm happy to give sweet things if they're naturally sweet rather than artificial so we don't do biscuits etc except as a rarity, it's more fruit, yoghurt, fruit spread etc etc.

I wouldnt worry about it personally. We started connah on purees carrot which is sweet anyway :shrug: we give yoghurt and fruit and have given some sweet things after his dinner but he seems to favour savoury over sweet x

Is your LO breastfed? Breastmilk is very sweet but also contains flavours from what you've eaten so I was told it doesn't really matter.

Is your LO breastfed? Breastmilk is very sweet but also contains flavours from what you've eaten so I was told it doesn't really matter.

No he's FF so I think it must get a bit boring lol

Thans for the advice girls. I suppose it's just a matter of variety rather than removing all sweet things. :thumbup: Should make life a lot easier.

I started off with Veggies and fruit, however I gave much more veggies than fruit frot hat reason, she hasnt got a preference and always finishes her meal..so she doesnt think that she will eat less to get a pudding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->