Swimming for exercise - what kind of bathing suit?

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
So I have all my workout suits, but obviously this body isn't squeezing into those! :haha:

I was a competitive swimmer, so I'm a little dumbfounded as to what I'm supposed to wear while having a big ol' tummy. :shrug:

Any women out there swimming for exercise? Can you post the type of suits you're wearing? I was thinking about a two piece since there'd be no drag, but I don't think others want to see a pregnant belly. My DH seems to think my pregnant belly is "private" now. lol

I've been wearing the same style of standard Nike racing suit that I always have; it has just fit with increasing weirdness as the weeks have gone by. I usually wear a 6, but bought an 8 at ~20 weeks, which is still (just) manageable. I honestly fit into it longer than I expected. Since I am so close to the end, I'll probably just wear them until I deliver or it rips. If I had it to do over again, I'd just go for a racing style 2-piece.

Thanks! I am thinking the racing 2-piece would last the longest. Hmmm :)

I have a maternity swimming costume, relatively plain its kind of gathered at the sides so it expands

When we went to florida back in October, i wore a two piece tankini, the sides had ruching that you could let in and out, and the top had a built in bra..and the bottoms had a cute little skirt attached to it...cute enough that i felt comfortable swimming in it, but not the "old lady" swimsuit look that alot of those types have...i did laps around the in-laws' pool lots of times, and only had to adjust it a little bit when it floated up (it was a few sizes too big for my belly at the time..would probably fit me perfect now though...) i would wear whatever suit you are comfortable in :flower:

Same story here. I'm used to wearing the competitive racer type but they just fit weirdly with a bump so I ended up buying a maternity one piece. I find it so weird though! There is so much material! It's like when you want extra drag and train wearing two or three for a race (admittedly it's been a while since I competed at that level haha!) but it feels like that! Swimming has been my saviour in pregnancy though as I hate feeling so heavy! I did do an aqua jog class the other day though which nearly killed me. Everyone else had weights on and I was like, erm no I have a fully fitted, permanent weight haha!

LOL Yes, that's a good point. Maternity one pieces would be great drag! No more need to double or triple up on suits. :haha:

:winkwink:

I've never found a maternity suit that I like so I wear a regular 2-piece. Nothing wrong with a pregnant belly! :thumbup: The mat suits seem to be either 2-piece tankinis and I need 2 different sizes, or just ruffly too-much-material lounging suits.

I wear a bikini. Granted it's my own pool but I probably would in public or at the beach too. Pregnancy is so beautiful!

I bought a tankini. The top looks like a sports bra, but long, and a normal bikini bottom. Works great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->