Swine Flu *please read*

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
Source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

What is it?
It's a respiratory disease pigs get caused by type A influenza viruses. Humans are rarely infected.

How do you get it?
Through contact with an infected person or pig. It's unknown how easily it spreads person-to-person, but it's mainly though coughing and sneezing. People can also touch something and leave the virus on it and then touch their nose or mouths. You cannot get it from eating pork. It's not spread through food. It's transmitted through close contact with infected pigs or their environments such as barns or fairs.

What are the symptoms?
It's similar to influenza and includes fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body ache, headache, fatigue, lethargy, and lack of appetite. Sometimes it also causes diarrhea, vomitting, nausea, and a runny nose.

Who is at risk?
Reports suggest it is infecting previously healthy young adults. That is unusual compared to normal human flu which puts the elderly and very young children at the highest risk.

Can you treat it?
Swine flu ranges from mild illness to severe and even deadly. Prescription antiviral drugs are used to treat it, particularly oseltamivir, more commonly known as Tamiflu, or zanamivir, also known as Relenza. It's best to start taking these within 2 days of getting symptoms.

Is there a vaccine?
There is no vaccine for humans, only pigs. The seasonal flu shot is believed to provide at least some protection.

How long can an infected person spread it?
Adults are contagious for up to seven days after the onset of illness and some for the entire time they have symptoms. Children can be contagious for 10 days or longer.

How is it prevented?
The best protection is washing your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand cleaners. Keep about one metre away from people and avoid close contact with anyone who is sick. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Live healthy by getting plenty of sleep and exercise. Avoid stress. Drink plenty of fluids and eat nutritiously. If you are sick, cover your cough and stay home.

When should you go to the doctor?
Seek medical attention if you have visited Mexico, California, or Texas in the last two weeks and are having any respiratory symptoms.

Gunna bump this hope nobody minds but as they have just raised level 4 to 5 we all need to be aware

If people are going to worry, should they not get facts and worry in an informed way? :shrug:

Little girl in Devon has just got it , i do hope it doesnt spread :( We are right near devon!

A man in grimsby is being tested for it about 40 mins from here

info on swine flu and pregnancy

https://www.bettyconfidential.com/ar/ld/a/Swine_Flu_and_Pregnancy_Q_A.html

I think most of the people affected over here were on the same plane back from Mexico

A 22 month old has died in Texas, whilst on a family visit from Mexico :(

I know, poor lamb :( so so sad... just found out 152 people have died from it already :|

MSN news are saying 176 people. Either way, alot :(

Bloody hell :( and we've got to take Jack to the doctors for his vaccinations in an hour, that's gonna be fun. Whenever there's a health scare that place is packed with people worried they have it, or even worse, people who might have it and pass it on to other people :|

**Bumped**

I think this is a very important very imformative thread, do u think admin could make it sticky and add it too all areas of the forum to raise awareness, as this is something that will eventually affect everyone!

Does anyone know what will happen if the level gets raised to six someone just asked that question on this morning and never really got a straight answer they were told 'the government have measures in place' i was thinking yeah we know but what the hell are they will they close schools will they advise people to stay at home just would like to know thats all my kids watch the news in the morning and they asked me this very question and i had to answer i dont know a bit more info wouldnt go amiss i think

I think they've closed schools in Mexico.. could be a possibility for other places if more people get infected. Mind you there are a lot of people living very close together in Mexico too and that's where the outbreak is worst, I don't know how the quality of medical care is there either.

My mum is a nurse and all hospital staff at her work are currently wearing masks and gloves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->