Swollen ankles / legs???

Szaffi

Reaction score
My left ankle and legs have been swollen for the last couple of days. It has been really hot this week, and I walked 1 hour in a new pair of shoes on Tuesday, so I thought it was from that.

However, even though i put ice on it every night, and elevate it, it gets really swollen by the end of the work day.

I know my doctor so far has looked at my leg at every appointment if they are swollen, and they never were. But I have no idea what is it a symptom for. Should I be worried??

Does anyone else get it? I'm a bit freaked out now.

I think its quite common but maybe mention it to your mw, i didn't get it with lottie and fingers crossed wont this time but i know it does affect alot of people! xx

i think it is just due to us pregnant ladies storing a lot of extra fluid. Im sure ive ready that somewhere before! My ankles are also slightly swollen up, but could be to do with the hot weather aswell. Im sure its normal so i wouldnt worry xx

My ankles (mainly the right one) have been really bad recently.

When I wear socks and take them off, there's a HUGE red mark around where they were digging in. Now I'm used to sock marks, but this was really bad! It was sore for a good few hours.

I just put it down to pregnancy related stuff! The joys we go through eh!

I know about the fluid retention, but the swelling is much more sudden and dramatic now. Basically, my ankles have disappeared. :cry: and it all feels quite heavy.

i have just taken my shoes off under my desk and i have huuuuge cankels - most attractive! Are you on your feet a lot like me? I 'think' it's normal! By the time ive got home and got my feet up (as high as possible is best) they seem to go down a bit. ahhhh the joys of pregnancy!!!! :hugs:

It's just fluid retention. Usually edema is a symptom of high blood pressure but if your blood pressure is fine then you needn't worry about that. Since the blood circulation to/from our feet is slowed by the baby and uterus, fluid builds up.

Make sure you're stretching and exercising your feet and ankles. A few times a day, point your toes out straight then point them back up toward the sky. Do that 5 or 10 times then make invisible circles on the floor with your toes (just run your foot in a circle, stretching it in all directions). That will help keep the circulation going.

If you're on your feet all day, make sure you take a lot of sit down breaks and prop your feet up. Also try to wear compression socks as much as you can. Those help TREMENDOUSLY! And finally... this is where it gets weird... At night, take some dark green cabbage leaves (about 3 should be enough) and slightly bruise them with a hammer or rolling pin. Wrap them around your foot and ankle and hold them in place with a bit of plastic wrap and an elastic wrap bandage. By morning, the swelling will be down by at least half, if not completely.

I have the same the last few days which I figured was because of the heat, I do tend to get swollen ankles/feet after being on them all day or lots of walking but then after putting my feet up in the evenings it has gone the next day - not the case at the moment though so I was a little concerned today, they were puffy but also felt 'tight' when I try to walk.

My mw checks for swellings at every check, she is looking for signs of pre-eclampsia in my case due to a previous history, so yes swellings are a normal part of pregnancy but can also be a sign of something else if there are other symptoms?? I am not sure if there are other things but know pre-eclampsia is one of them.

If it's not going down might be worth a mention to the mw??

xxxxx

Search through the old threads ive started, I posted mine up a while ago - theyve been huge since 15 weeks.

And they've only got bigger !

Thanks girls. I'm trying to put my feet up. OH also said that he thinks I pulled a tendon. My BP have been ok so far, but if the swelling stays I'll have my GP measure my BP tommorrow. I hope it's not preeclampsia :((

My left ankle and legs have been swollen for the last couple of days. It has been really hot this week, and I walked 1 hour in a new pair of shoes on Tuesday, so I thought it was from that.

However, even though i put ice on it every night, and elevate it, it gets really swollen by the end of the work day.

I know my doctor so far has looked at my leg at every appointment if they are swollen, and they never were. But I have no idea what is it a symptom for. Should I be worried??

Does anyone else get it? I'm a bit freaked out now.

my legs were painful and achy all day yesterday, by the time i got home from work and took my socks off my legs were sooooo swollen. Fink its just with been on your feet alot and the heat.

Mine have been fine today.

My feet have been pretty swollen for the last few weeks, especially the right one which seems to have developed a cankle :rofl: It's sooooo uncomfortable and the skin gets really tight around the swollen bits :( My fingers have swollen up to and I've developed Carpal Tunnel syndrom as a result. I mentioned this to my MW and she didnt seem concerned as she'd just checked my BP (which was normal) and my urine which showed no proteins. I've also had a kidney scan to check that my kidneys were ok as my consultant was a little concerned at the time thinking that my kidneys may not have been working properly..all results came back ok.
One of the joys of pregnancy.. CANKLES!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->