Taking your LO's/kids to music festivals?

sandilion

Reaction score
Do you think it's appropriate? There are all sorts at festivals her in Australia (and probably everywhere else too) there are the families that go, the drinkers, the drug takers... etc. All sorts go.

My DH and I are big on going to music festivals. From alternative hippie festivals to rock festivals. The type of ones where you go and camp for a few days. Of course if we were to ever take LO with us to one some time, we will not be getting drunk naturally. But, there will be other people there drunk or under the influence.

Do you think if as long as the parents are sober that taking kids along to something like that should be ok? Or should they be kept away?

There are always other kids there, and babies. But i am still confused on whether its the right thing to do just because other people do it. Thoughts?

I think as long as it is something you're comfortable with, then it is fine. I would want to keep the baby a distance away from the stage so it's not too loud. I wouldn't do it but that is more because I don't like large crowds so it's not my thing, not because I worry about bringing a baby.

i dont see anything wrong with as long as the parents are being responsible.
unfortunately where i live all you gotta do is walk down the road and you see drunks/druggys all we can do is educate our kids as we will never be able to stop them seeing

I take Ivy to festivals - and not overly sanitised family ones either. We go to Shambala every year, it is very hippy and there is a lot of drug taking and drinking but there is also a lot for families and kids, and everyone there - including the intoxicated people - is really friendly and the atmosphere is fantastic for a small child, very relaxed. Obviously you have to keep a more watchful eye than you would in a regular environment at home and I was sober the whole weekend (aside from a few sneaky beers while she was sleeping in the bell tent at night!) but I think that if you choose the right one, a festival is the best holiday for a kid ever. Ivy goes on about Shambala and all the things we did there last year all the time!

Lou - are you talking the Shambala Festival in the Kootenays in BC?

Haha no, it's in the uk :) what is the bc one like?

Festivals I avoid myself so I can't imagine taking lo there, I don't mind the few family friendly ones but the main ones? no, why would I want to expose my child to drunks , drug taking and who knows else.

Haha no, it's in the uk :) what is the bc one like?

I have never been myself as it's not really my scene musically, but it's been around for over a decade and still a very big event for electronic music.
https://www.shambhalamusicfestival.com/

Ahhh it sounds good! Quite similar to the one we go to but there is so much to do for families - an entire kids field, special family camping area, a yurt for quiet play when the kids are overwhelmed, a kids disco, musical playground, a special overnight nature adventure for older kids. Ahhhh I just want to live there all year!

louandivy - what age did you start taking your LO along to the events??

She went to her first festival at 14 months :) she honestly enjoys it so much but it probably massively depends on the personality of your LO too - ivy likes crowds, doesn't get overwhelmed easily and loves camping!

Also sandilion will reply to your message later! Can't do it on my phone for some reason

erm some of the one i went to as a youth ...NO WAY i know what i did and what others are doing and would want my LO round that.
however there are quite a few in the UK that are family freindly, and have set up camping areas and family friendly areas in the arenas such as Glastonbory, or the isle of wight or even V festival.

i think if i went i would take a camper van tho...thought of a tent n small people ...eek!

I take her regularly during festival season. As a baby, in a sling with ear defenders and when she was older I often took a wrist strap just in case. But there is always stuff for kids to do. The only festival I've ever been to that I didn't find suitable for kids was T in the Park.

Smaller ones like rewind are great for her. She loves the whole experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->