taps in UK/US

Sorry to hi jack but another thing popped up which is v similar..

We were watching this us show were they "flip" a house.. Anyway the house they had had a lower value as it had a shared wall.. 2 houses 2 different plots but one wall was shared between 2 houses.. Pretty much a semi detached house. Is a house like that really uncommon coz here in the UK they are very common place.. I live in one!

I have no idea but I can't imagine seeing things like rows of terraced houses in US?! They have a lot more space generally I guess than here. It's a bit regional too because I am in Leeds and we have loads of back-to-back terraces here, it's absolutely commonplace (lots of nice ones too) and I've lived in them myself before we moved at Christmas last year, but I've heard it's unusual elsewhere in UK?

From what i understand with the terraced and attached houses is that they were common years ago when you had towns like my mining towns where those were the type of houses where the workers lived. They tend to b closer to the town centre etc. The further out you go the more semi and detached you'll get as they were built later when those houses became more popular

In Germany tap water comes also out of the same one. do you have two heads for two seperate types of taps? and how do you adjust the temperature if you want luke warm water ?

In Germany tap water comes also out of the same one. do you have two heads for two seperate types of taps? and how do you adjust the temperature if you want luke warm water ?

you can not, you need to put a plug in the sink and run both taps until the water in the sink is lukewarm

We have a mixer tap in the kitchen with seperate levers so can can just put scalding hot water into the sink!
In the bathroom we have seperate. I don't know for sure but when we get a new bathroom we will probably keep seperate taps unless we go for something fancy like a waterfall tap. I like just having hot or cold bring put in the bath. My experience with swivel taps us that after a while when you move the arm bit the whole fixture starts moving!

I have a mixer tap in my kitchen and in my bathroom. I thought mixer taps were quite common here in the UK :lol:

We have mixer taps in both of ours, but I had an American friend complain that our uni student housing were separate, they were quite outdated blocks though, I'd never thought about it before.

My mum told me ages ago why we have seperate taps, I don't know if it's true…

It's something to do with old fashioned boilers when you have the big tank for heating up hot water, the hot water sits in them for ages so it's not clean fresh drinking water, water from the cold taps come straight from the mains so you can drink straight from the tap. So it's keeps them seperate.

My mum told me this as she freaked out seeing me put hot water (from a mixer tap) in a kettle, no idea if true.

America does have terraced housing, just look at brown stones in New York, and Chicago has terraces for example. But I think detached is much more common than here, more space there I guess!

Housing generally is much better value than here, but we have more limited space and also as a result quite strict planning rules.

I have mixer taps for my kitchen sink and my bath and seperate taps for my bathroom sink. Takes a minute or so for the hot tap to get really hot so never had a problem with it.

Hate the separate taps in the UK! Hate having to choose between cold and hot when washing my hands when I visit my parents (and filling the sink with water just seems like too much hassle). Its all mixer taps here, love it (though it took me a few months to notice the little button that lets you switch to the really hot water so I was having lukewarm showers for a while!)

Maybe we don't bother washing our hands as much in UK as a result?!! I have to admit sometimes if the hot tap is too hot my hands barely touch the water haha.

I usually wash with cold! Now I've seen mixer in the kitchen sink and the bath but I've never had a mixer in the bathroom sink.. I've only ever seen those out and about I don't think I've seen a mixer in a bathroom sink..

This house we live in is relatively old.. At least 30 years old.. Our old house was built in 2001 and we had mixer in the bath and kitchen sink.

I much prefer mixer taps. I too hate having to burn my hands with hot and then quickly switch to cold. Annoying. Xx

i have mixer taps in my kitchen sink which can be pushed out the way & mixer tap in the bath but have 2 seperate taps in the bathroom sink..

my parents have 2 seperate taps on their kitchen sink & it drives me nuts! lol x

My mum told me ages ago why we have seperate taps, I don't know if it's true…

It's something to do with old fashioned boilers when you have the big tank for heating up hot water, the hot water sits in them for ages so it's not clean fresh drinking water, water from the cold taps come straight from the mains so you can drink straight from the tap. So it's keeps them seperate.

My mum told me this as she freaked out seeing me put hot water (from a mixer tap) in a kettle, no idea if true.

America does have terraced housing, just look at brown stones in New York, and Chicago has terraces for example. But I think detached is much more common than here, more space there I guess!

Housing generally is much better value than here, but we have more limited space and also as a result quite strict planning rules.

Interesting you should say that about the pipes etc. in older houses the piping for the hot and cold water can be different so you should fill a kettle up with warm water. Also the piping from the boiler/tank to the bathroom is different than the piping to the kitchen so you shouldn't drink cold water from the bathroom taps.
I would imagine if you have a newer house it pipe work you'd be ok though.

We are in the UK and have mixer taps in the kitchen, bath and bathroom sinks. :thumbup:

Maybe we don't bother washing our hands as much in UK as a result?!! I have to admit sometimes if the hot tap is too hot my hands barely touch the water haha.

I know this is true for my little girl, she will only wash her hands with cold but for some reason many of the mixer taps out and about, well the older ones, you dont choose how hot or cold it is. Like the cinema the other day had mixer taps with caution hot water signs :dohh:

I have mixer taps on the kitchen sink, it's a bowl and half so needs to do both parts, and all 3 bathroom sinks. Only my bath has separate taps as I think a mixer on the bath looks ugly, but they again I spent a fortune last year on new taps when redoing the main bathroom.

I know this is true for my little girl, she will only wash her hands with cold but for some reason many of the mixer taps out and about, well the older ones, you dont choose how hot or cold it is. Like the cinema the other day had mixer taps with caution hot water signs :dohh:

This is one of my pet hates you either seem to get scolding hot or freezing cold water from public toilets and no way to adjust it.

I have never in my life seen separate taps for hot and cold, I didn't even know that was a thing??? LOL, Oh the things I learn on BnB. I have to say, I would be extremely confused seeing that too, as I'm so used to having all the water come out of one faucet, and being able to adjust the temperature to whatever I want it to be coming out of the faucet.

Also, terraced housing isn't common here except in cities. Usually within big cities, there's a good amount of it, but as soon as you hit suburb areas, and towns outside of cities, most everything tends to be detached, single family homes. But, the US is pretty huge and spread out, so there's plenty of space for this to be possible.

We have mixer taps for the kitchen sink and the upstairs bathroom sink. The downstairs bathroom sink has separate taps but it's a very old sink.

I have never in my life seen separate taps for hot and cold, I didn't even know that was a thing??? LOL, Oh the things I learn on BnB. I have to say, I would be extremely confused seeing that too, as I'm so used to having all the water come out of one faucet, and being able to adjust the temperature to whatever I want it to be coming out of the faucet.

Also, terraced housing isn't common here except in cities. Usually within big cities, there's a good amount of it, but as soon as you hit suburb areas, and towns outside of cities, most everything tends to be detached, single family homes. But, the US is pretty huge and spread out, so there's plenty of space for this to be possible.

You have now :haha:

ETA: Took that whilst brushing my teeth about two seconds ago, you're all SO welcome :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->