taps in UK/US

I have a mixed tap in the kitchen. My bathroom sink and bath both have separate taps.

It took me awhile to understand what you meant! The older sinks here (in the US) often have one faucet with 2 handles, one hot and one cold. You can use just one or you can mix. The newer style ones have one handle and one faucet and you can turn it any direction to get hot, cold or lukewarm. The faucet that goes outside, to the hose, etc is just cold (but as others said, gets hot in the summer).

I tend to say "faucet", but call the water "tap water".

As far as terraced housing, we call them townhouses (if you own the land) or condos (if you don't own the land). I own a townhouse (attached on one side at the end of a bunch of them) which I am renting out. We live in a detached house now. I live in a state capital so it's a decent sized city. Some of the suburbs around here have a few townhouses, but that's just because it's a cheaper option, doesn't require you to own much land. It's not always a space issue.

Our bathroom sink faucets look about like this…but the bathtubs have a hot water knob and cold water knob.

Attachments

• dreamline-faucet-single-hole-dlfhd-509-ch.jpg
    dreamline-faucet-single-hole-dlfhd-509-ch.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1
I've always wondered what condo meant!

Most people here just say condo or use them interchangeably, but supposedly that's the difference in legal terms.

Well, actually a townhouse is more likely I think to be a one or 2 story place, where as a condo is often more like an apartment in a giant building but it's owned by someone and not by the building owner. But a condo could be a one or 2 story unit just like a townhouse. Sorry if I'm not explaining that very well!

I only know condo from Sim tower where you could build condos which were basically flats in a tower xD

also German taps seem to be like American taps.

In the UK we have a few types.. Detached meaning its not attached to another house, semi detached is its attached to another house on one side. There's attached, terraced is a row of three houses all joined (subsequently there is also end terraced) a townhouse is usually a house over 3 stories instead of 2 and flats. Oh and bungalows which is a house but all on one floor so are very popular with the elderly.

I always wondered what a 'condo' is. Now I know!

I have lived in detatched, terrace, end of terrace, back-to-back terrace and semi-detatched. Personally I love terraced houses for the character but I must admit it's nice having a driveway up the side of the house now. My mum says she will only ever live in a detatched house forever more because she didn't like her neighbours once upon a time. But I think we had more sense of community up our street when we lived in terraced. Everyone knew each other whereas now our neighbour moved out and didn't even let us know. x

In the UK we have a few types.. Detached meaning its not attached to another house, semi detached is its attached to another house on one side. There's attached, terraced is a row of three houses all joined (subsequently there is also end terraced) a townhouse is usually a house over 3 stories instead of 2 and flats. Oh and bungalows which is a house but all on one floor so are very popular with the elderly.

Our house (and many here) are all on one floor, but I think of bungalow as a small house like maybe 1 bedroom. If it's attached on one side we call it a duplex. Those aren't popular at all here, except the very old pretty ones that have been converted to one house. By "here" I just mean my city.

I have lived in detatched, terrace, end of terrace, back-to-back terrace and semi-detatched. Personally I love terraced houses for the character but I must admit it's nice having a driveway up the side of the house now. My mum says she will only ever live in a detatched house forever more because she didn't like her neighbours once upon a time. But I think we had more sense of community up our street when we lived in terraced. Everyone knew each other whereas now our neighbour moved out and didn't even let us know. x

Its funny you say that as when we lived in our end terrace house we got on so well with a next door neighbours. We never liked the house but we wish we could of stayed for them. They joked they would knock the wall down and let us have their spare room! We now live in a semi and we barely talk to our next door neighbours. They seem nice enough but its obvious they don't want a neighbourly relationship with us.
How our house is laid out it means that the joining wall is not part of our living space either which is good.

I have only ever seen mixer taps in the US. I dont miss separate ones in the UK! They call them faucets here but i HATE that word so i call them taps still and most people know what im talking about.

We call terraced houses 'row houses' here, semi-detached are called "pair houses" and detached houses are called "own home houses" which I think is a fabulous name! There's also flats which are called "layer houses" and one that I can't translate which I think are blocks of flats but you have the entrances doors outside on walkways rather than inside.

It took me awhile to understand what you meant! The older sinks here (in the US) often have one faucet with 2 handles, one hot and one cold. You can use just one or you can mix. The newer style ones have one handle and one faucet and you can turn it any direction to get hot, cold or lukewarm. The faucet that goes outside, to the hose, etc is just cold (but as others said, gets hot in the summer).

As far as terraced housing, we call them townhouses (if you own the land) or condos (if you don't own the land). I own a townhouse (attached on one side at the end of a bunch of them) which I am renting out. We live in a detached house now. I live in a state capital so it's a decent sized city. Some of the suburbs around here have a few townhouses, but that's just because it's a cheaper option, doesn't require you to own much land. It's not always a space issue.

Our bathroom sink faucets look about like this…but the bathtubs have a hot water knob and cold water knob.

Looks like taps here but ours have a little button at the back you press to turn it to the hottest end (so little kids can't occidentally scald themselves)

We call terraced houses 'row houses' here, semi-detached are called "pair houses" and detached houses are called "own home houses" which I think is a fabulous name! There's also flats which are called "layer houses" and one that I can't translate which I think are blocks of flats but you have the entrances doors outside on walkways rather than inside.

Looks like taps here but ours have a little button at the back you press to turn it to the hottest end (so little kids can't occidentally scald themselves)
Very similar in germany. a terraced house is a series house(or row)
semi detached houses are double-houses, they are often symmetrical, and if you own one half you own a double-house-half :haha: . detached houses are called 1 family house. and all owned as opposed to rented houses are called own-home.
block of flats are depending on style, a plattenbau (soviet style buildings) or multiple-families-home.

Oo forgot we also have "part of a wooden house" homes :haha: when an old fashioned wooden house is split into separate apartments.

Its funny you say that as when we lived in our end terrace house we got on so well with a next door neighbours. We never liked the house but we wish we could of stayed for them. They joked they would knock the wall down and let us have their spare room! We now live in a semi and we barely talk to our next door neighbours. They seem nice enough but its obvious they don't want a neighbourly relationship with us.
How our house is laid out it means that the joining wall is not part of our living space either which is good.

Yeah I guess it could be a really bad thing if you didn't get on though. My whole street was really friendly when we lived in our terraced house. I would say hi to them all. When I locked Joni in the house they were really helpful getting her out again.

Used to be kind of awkward because the man opposite didn't work and I was on maternity and we were waving at each other all day long everytime we glanced up and saw the other one in their house haha. I think in US houses are a bit more spaced out generally. We were really overlooking each other, I used to know everything going on in his house lol. I thought I was a really private person but I did get used to having people close by all the time, I didn't mind them knowing everything about our business because it was just the friendly layout of the street and it felt really neighbourly.

I call them taps but know them as faucets as well.
My in-laws used to have separate taps in their bathroom and I was so happy when they updated them. I like the ability to put the water to the temperature I need.

I suppose from what you described a condo would be the same as a leasehold property here.

I have never in my life seen separate taps for hot and cold, I didn't even know that was a thing??? LOL, Oh the things I learn on BnB. I have to say, I would be extremely confused seeing that too, as I'm so used to having all the water come out of one faucet, and being able to adjust the temperature to whatever I want it to be coming out of the faucet.

Also, terraced housing isn't common here except in cities. Usually within big cities, there's a good amount of it, but as soon as you hit suburb areas, and towns outside of cities, most everything tends to be detached, single family homes. But, the US is pretty huge and spread out, so there's plenty of space for this to be possible.

I find that so odd that there are separate taps/faucets for hot and cold water. As far as the terraced housing, I live in a townhouse development in the "burbs" and only share a wall with one neighbor

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->