Tasting your food

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Just wondering at 4 months would you/did you/do you let baby taste your food? Like a chip, lil bit of toast etc....

? :D

No. I'd start simple with the baby rice and build up with veggies and fruit. I didn't give them our food till they were 6 months old.

I held off wheat products so bread and cereals and also cows milk and meat and fish till they were 6 months old.

It's tempting to feed them all sorts of things but they could end up with an upset tummy and they get there soon enough (although it may not feel like it at the moment!).

When you say build up to veggies & fruits was that past 6 months too?

I'm so confused :cry: lol

I didn't think babies were allowed cows milk until past 12 months either :blush:

Babies can have cows milk from 12 months (Helen if you disagree thats fair enough, im not telling you how to bring up your little ones ;)). Bethanie started cows milk on her 1st birthday, but had SMA Gold up to 6 months, then SMA Progress.

We started Bethanie on a little bit of baby rice, then petit filous, then on to the Hipp jars of apple puree, carrot and sweetcorn (they're called first tastes if you're interested). We then slowly weaned her from 6 months on the baby hipp food jars, then bits of toast, rusk etc. She didn't join in with our home cooked food until a good few months later as we wanted to be confident feeding her when we felt comfortable. She now eats all meals with us, rarely she will have a jar of food.

I found weaning VERY daunting at first and got a bit paranoid writing up meal planners etc. If you like, I can send you some that I still have just as a rough guide for you?

They can't have cows milk as drink until they are a year old, but hey can have yoghurts, & milk in sauces eg sauce from 6 months.

We weaned Kayleigh early @ 4 months but she only had baby rice for several weeks, then from 5.5 months had fruit & veg purees .

I let Kaya try my apple the other day, she was reaching for it and I didn't stop her. She tasted it by licking and thought it was horrible - it was a granny smith lol. My sister's first food was a chip because she stole it off my mum's plate.

I put mine on cows milk whem they were a year old untill then i used there folmuar link to make there foods with :)

I woudlt let any of mine taste my food, some things i eat are packed with saugar and salt. i have a really bad diet at the mo lol

x

Personally (and this is just my opinion, please don't shoot me for it:blush:), I say forget the bought stuff and do your own. Don't bother with baby rice, it's bland and completely tasteless, and baby may then struggle with 'real' food tastes after.

Charlie had pureed carrot as his first taste, and he loved it. Remember though, that at this age, it's only a taste and getting used to taking food from a spoon, it's not meant to me a meal. Puree's are the easiest things to do. Just boil/steam some veg, then use a hand blander (about a fiver from Asda) and a bit of the cooking liquor and whizz till smooth. And ice-cube tray is great at Caitlin's young age, and she'll only need one cube per meal. Veg to puree are things like carrot, butternut squash, parsnip, cauliflower, peas, broccoli, swede. I'd make them in one batch, freeze, then remove from the trays and bag and label. As Charlie got older, I'd mix 2 cubes together (carrot and parsnip, etc). Then I started adding a bit of dairy and do things like cauli cheese. And as LO gets older, you just whizz less to leave a few lumps.

Blimey, I've gone on - sounds like I was preaching!!!!:blush::rofl:

Wobbles - if you want to give this a go, I've got some Annabelle Carmel freezing trays (like larger wobbly icecube trays) if you want to borrow them. I can bring them to the baby show if you want?

Amanda, that's pretty much similar to what I've done.
When you look at the cost of fresh fruit and veggies, they are so cheap to feed babies.
Just chop them up, add some water and boil until soft then mush up with some of the cooking water to make a smooth puree.
They freeze well and you can make all your own combinations.

Before now I've waited until 6 months but Harvey is a hungry baby and so he's getting little tasters of (very) pureed fruit and veggies.
ooh you can also use milk (breast/formula) to mix the puree instead of cooking water if you like - this can be good with some fruits.

Sorry should've been clearer on the cow's milk thing. Cows milk on cereal and in custards, cheese sauces, etc. Tom happens to have it as a drink but that's cos he's a lil bugger and hates formula (who can blame him). Not meant to have cows milk as a main drink until 12 months.

Definitely make your own stuff. I did the baby rice with Tom for a couple of days and then went for carrot I think. Also did stuff like butternut squash, sweet potato, potato, broccoli, etc., etc. Bananas, stewed apples and pears for fruit.

Charlotte had baby rice for about a week and half but that's because I weaned her before she was totally ready but to keep my sanity by keeping her a bit more in synch with Tom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->