Tax credits going?

hell ... they'r actually making everything a BIG HELLLLL :(

Oh no - my husband is self employed on an erratic wage and I am a SAHM so we rely on tax credits to make ends meet. If I had to go back to work, the amount I would need to claim for nursery fees for 3 pre schoolers would far exceed the amount I am claiming in tax credits now.

I think all households where all the adults work should get free childcare from 1 onwards - I have to work but I've managed to wrangle around family and friends but the childcare would cripple us and we get no ctc - I don't know if we can afford a 2nd and I would love Ollie to have a sibbling - and am 33 so don't feel I can wait till Ollie is 4 and going to school :(

As far as i'm aware no household with an joint income of more than £25k will get TCs from 2012.

Hmm, not heard of this. Me and OH have decided that I am to be a SAHM but we didn't make that decision based on what we would receive in ctc. CTC can't be relied on to provide an "income" as they are so up and down. We will be ok on OH wage but it would be nice if we get something from ctc too

The changes to be introducuced are summarised here :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10416333

but it seems like fairly complicated reading unless you have a good understanding of how the calculations are done (which I never did even when I was entitled).

I think its a good idea that they're bringing in universal credits, instead of applying for different kind of benefits which only apply to certain circumstances it'll be one benefit that covers all the needs of the family in one sum, its not like people aren't still going to be getting benefits, its about time they made work pay more.

Yes I have heard that they will be stopping them. Will be a gradual thing though.

If what pp have said and it will get to the point where everyone is better off working, then I think that's a great thing.

As far as i'm aware no household with an joint income of more than £25k will get TCs from 2012.

At first £25k seems quite a good wage but only equates to about £385 take home pay(I allowed 20% off for tax and NI).
If you have to pay full rent or mortgage and council tax a huge chunk of that is gone.
My partner needs a car to get to work and as he works away he spends a lot on fuel which he can't claim back.

I like the idea of a universal benefit so it pays to work but so far it seems only the people who work are having their income cut :shrug:

That is my understanding too. CB will be stopped in 2012 when one person earns over £44k(or a figure around that). I thought that TCs stopped from 2012 for those over £25K. Have some things not been cut already?

Tax credits have been stopped this year for anyone earning over 50k. I thought the cut off from next April was 44k (household income).

Oh no - my husband is self employed on an erratic wage and I am a SAHM so we rely on tax credits to make ends meet. If I had to go back to work, the amount I would need to claim for nursery fees for 3 pre schoolers would far exceed the amount I am claiming in tax credits now.

I think all households where all the adults work should get free childcare from 1 onwards - I have to work but I've managed to wrangle around family and friends but the childcare would cripple us and we get no ctc - I don't know if we can afford a 2nd and I would love Ollie to have a sibbling - and am 33 so don't feel I can wait till Ollie is 4 and going to school :(

Totally agree with this.

You get free childcare for 3-4 year olds if that helps anyone xx

You get free childcare for 3-4 year olds if that helps anyone xx

I've heard that some nurseries stipulate you have to pay for 30 hours childcare to get the free 15 hours as the govt only pay about £3.50 an hour which doesn't cover the hourly rate some nurseries charge. In order to actually make money they make sure they get 15 hours paid by you at full rate :growlmad:

Looked at a few articles and the general idea seems to be that tax credits are actually stopping people work as they prop you up financially.
Which I kind of agree with....but then we rely on them too!
I don't know what the solution is but I do know I would go out to work if it was financially viable. Unfortunately the cost of childcare almost outweighs what I could earn in an admin role.
I would take home about £40 a week after childcare costs and travelling costs, it only takes LO to be sick for a week and then I don't get paid but still have to pay out meaning that £40 has gone!
Having another LO and so there is absolutely no point in thinking about childcare. I'll return to work when LO is 3 and we get some free childcare but even then I doubt we'll be any better off, I just don't want to stay out of the workplace though.

just a quick thought though but its ok to try and get everyone into work BUT does'nt there need to be jobs to for people to have first !!!

just a quick thought though but its ok to try and get everyone into work BUT does'nt there need to be jobs to for people to have first !!! I know our local hospital had to sack/get rid of ALL of there nursing and midwife students because they just couldnt afford to have them. some of them were only a few weeks of quliafying.

If your talking about boston they had to stop them working there because they werent learning the right things. Nursing and Midwifery students dont get paid

The staff there were teaching them the wrong things so they wouldn't be able to graduate. Yes they learn in their university but they go on placement to learn the practical side of things

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->