tax credits? penalty? help?

ksilme

Reaction score
Hey all, I am panicking and stressing out big time, I was sorting through paperwork and found tax credits form, I started a caring job as a weekend job in April (thought I had mentioned it when rang Tax credits about something else - payments stopped between April and August due to them making a mistake with last years estimated earnings) but they have way underestimated this years earnings, seemingly based on last years earnings from main job, so am going to phone them and correct them before it gets to us being overpaid, but now not sure if I officially reported new job, obv it's been 6 months now since I started, and on the website it says you may be charged a penalty upto 300 if you don't report a new job within a month :( now I am petrified of being charged a penalty
what are the chances of being charged a penalty?
has anyone been through the same thing?
we haven't been overpaid as what we get now (27 a week) is based on last years earnings?

I am so stressed right now :(

Hmm not too sure hun. Prob best just to call and say you wanted to check they had correct info. I always got impression if you will be earning a significant amount more or less in the current year that you had to update them as you could end up being overpaid?

Xx

If you don't report a change on time, you could get paid too much in tax credits. If this happens, the Tax Credit Office may charge you a penalty of up to £300.

If I haven't been overpaid, would penalty still be possible - this seems to suggest it's only if you have been overpaid x

Going to phone straight after work :) and it turns out I started in May not April, not much diff bit makes me feel bit better lol x

Ring them up hun, surely the penalty will only be if you have in some way benefited financially from not telling them.

all done and sorted, as usual I was panicking over nothing :(
think its lack of sleep, woke up at 1.30 am and had half hour sleep between then and my alarm going off at 7am and then been at work overthinking since then :( So I think it is bedtime for me and bump lol x

Bless you lol, I'm the same I'm always so paranoid of doing something wrong and owing them money, have a well earned rest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->