Tea in baby bottles?

Is this a British thing? I have never heard of it and the thought would never cross my mind.

I honestly don't think I had tea till I was a teenager. Why would you (as a kid) when hot chocolate exists?!

Yeah I reckon! It would be as weird as seeing a baby drinking beer or coffee for me.

Yeah I think its a British thing!

My daughters dad asked me the other day have I given Elodie tea yet and I was just like why? She said she never gave my daughters dad it because she didn't like stained bottles.. :haha:

I actually think I'd sooner give my baby tea rather than juice :shrug:

I'm surprised babies like the taste of tea really, which makes me think the tea must be sweetened with sugar.

When I give me LO tea it's never sweetened with sugar, and she gets the (decaff) tea bag I have already used (I drink decaff anyway). So it's fairly watery with a dash of milk. She loves it, but this is also the kid who eats stinking bishop cheese so the tea taste is nothing.

I won't give her hot chocolate as that is unnecessary sugar.

Wow, I'm from southern US originally and it took me the whole thread to even consider that the tea might not have lots of sugar in it. That makes it at least moderately less horrific.

Yep, any sips DD has come from a cup with one spoon of sugar. Hardly any really.

I've never given Louis tea with sugar in, but then I hate sugar in tea myself.

I'm surprised babies like the taste of tea really, which makes me think the tea must be sweetened with sugar.

When I give me LO tea it's never sweetened with sugar, and she gets the (decaff) tea bag I have already used (I drink decaff anyway). So it's fairly watery with a dash of milk. She loves it, but this is also the kid who eats stinking bishop cheese so the tea taste is nothing.

You don't have to put sugar in a hot chocolate, I don't. Bit of peppermint esaence is yummy though! My kids have sugarleas hot chocolates.

tea and juice in baby bottles is a pet peeve of mine. I wouldn't give tea before one personally. that's if I was going to give it at all, but honestly I don't see the need... My two year old has a drink of warm milk while I have my morning cuppa!

I guess I can't imagine drinking tea without sugar myself but of course some people do. You should try rooibos tea if you haven't already it's caffeine free, I love it.

Reading this thread has me tempted to give my LO a cup of rooibos tea with a biscuit :haha:

I had tea in a bottle as a baby. My mums reasoning was just 'cos I liked it... Needless to say I am still alive to this day... But I did ask her not to give it my baby when shes round for the day!

My LO steals my tea when I have it, which is actually quite rarely, maybe a couple of times a week. I always forget to finish it and find her drinking it cold :haha:

My friend told me she had a visitor round with a 7 month old baby and she asked them to make him a cup of tea in his beaker and add 2 spoonfuls of sugar to it. Her husband refused and said the most he would add to a beaker that size was half a spoon, don't think the mum was amused lol x

I'm sure we all come from different planets sometimes! :-O

I've got a mental image of a 4 month old British baby sitting in bumbo, cup of tea in a fine bone china cup in one hand, cigar in the other and he's wearing a suit and reading the business section of the newspaper.

I've got a mental image of a 4 month old British baby sitting in bumbo, cup of tea in a fine bone china cup in one hand, cigar in the other and he's wearing a suit and reading the business section of the newspaper.

I want to see this picture and then have it as my screensaver :D

You don't have to put sugar in a hot chocolate, I don't. Bit of peppermint esaence is yummy though! My kids have sugarleas hot chocolates.

Sugarless hot chocolate is blasphemy. :haha: I just don't get it. I'd rather have things that are delicious a few times a year rather than something that tastes like dirty water every month. :sick:

Mine gets chamomile tea in a straw bottle sometimes. Or maybe apple or fennel or something similarly innocent. She's two though and she's only been getting it fr the last few months. I wouldn't give her 'real' tea. A bit of cambric tea when they are 5 or 6 on a special occasion can't do any damage, but that's mostly milk and water anyway.

I'm sure we all come from different planets sometimes! :-O

This is what my son looks like. :coffee:

So I've been following this thread for awhile now and am still genuinely confused - obviously this isn't a popular concept in the US (unless I'm totally missing something?)

But wherever this practice of putting tea in baby bottles exists - what exactly is the reason or purpose? why do people do this? Convenience? To spice up baby's drink? This isn't a judgemental question at all - I've just never heard of it before.... Is it similar to how people use apple juice or orange juice as a substitute to water here in US? I'm curious :flower:

I think some people do it because it's 'cute', some people do it because it's something different for them to drink. Honestly I don't really see the point!

I never really seen the point either tbh...but I only gave DD water to drink (this was until her grandparents introduced diluting juice at a year old lol). Even now she mainly asks for water or milk unless we are in a restaurant where she will ask for Apple/orange juice. Since turning 2 when she stole some tea for the first time she has occasionally asked for it, so yeah, she gets a little (very milky and weak). But as a baby, I can't see the point in it. Each to their own I guess x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->